The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Re-capping and service life

Sounds like @feeling_zen has the measure of it. Here’s some more information for the curious.

Capacitors

Capacitors are necessary. They are used in power supplies to store energy. They are used for coupling of audio signals between stages and filtering of unwanted high frequency signals. There are many types of capacitor, each have unique properties and selected appropriately for their task.

Capacitor life (electrolytic and tantalum - not film such as polystyrene which do not degrade) has generally improved over the years extending their life. When they are new using them improves their properties as the dielectric forms (insulation between the plates) improving SQ. As a capacitor ages further its leakage increases and capacitance decrease. This has a negative effect on SQ. Replacing them brings the sound quality back. For continued best SQ we find life to be 10-20 years, they continue working beyond this.

(This is not unique to Naim but all electronic products)

Standby
To have the fastest run-in time, disable standby for a few months. Once run-in, ‘warm-up’ (it’s not just a temperature thing) is quick and standby can be used to save energy.

If 0.5W standby is used this will further extend capacitor life. However, if the NC 250 is left ‘on’ the service life is the same as 250DR.

Oxidisation
I find oxidation of connector contacts over the years changes the sound of my system. Especially the speaker sockets on my SBLs. They were not good after several years. To clean them, I repeatably pull and insert the speaker plugs. My house is 250 years old and can be damp that accelerates oxidisation. The same can be done for signal inter-connects.

Mechanical wear
Potentiometers (traditional volume controls) have a usable service life. This is because they have a resistive carbon track with a moving wiper. Reed relays as used in the NSC 222’s new volume control have a specified life of 100 to 500 million operations…that’s a lot of volume changes (Statement NAC S1 was tested 1,000,000 times)

In vintage audio products the audio input selection was via mechanical switches. These would wear and oxidise. Using reed relays allows fly-by-wire and work for the life of the product. Naim has been using reed relays for input selection for many years. (relays sound better too).

Temperature
As a general rule of thumb for electronic design - every extra 10 degrees C halves life. Especially important for internal power components. Naim R&D engineers ensure all power parts have <40C increase of ambient.

Extreme temperature cycling can also effect life, especially on solder joints.

Naim Service
If a product or system is about 15 years old and is not sounding as energetic as you remember it is time to consider a service. Our service team replace serviceable components, clean contacts, inspect solder joints, test the functions and measure the performance.

Costs
Hi @Neil_D and @Mark63 , Yes, ultimately they will need a service in 10 to 15 years or so, longer if you prefer. Longer if kept in standby, shorter if a power amp run at full volume 24/7. This is the same for all marques of Hi-Fi. Our service department will help with costs.

37 Likes

We now have learnt something significant. @110dB uses SBL’s!

6 Likes

Sounds like a good approach if you don’t want to listen. There is also features to block certain users. This seems to be the right usage of the forum as opposed to writing the nonsense that has been written

…and I love the SBLs. Using them with an n-Sub, NSC 222 and a NAP 250DR

16 Likes

Thanks for that Steve, so to be clear regardless of sq does leaving my SN3 on 24/7 reduce or increase cap life or does turning it off and on regularly have a detrimental effect?

1 Like

You should try your SBLs active with a pair of NC NAP 250s. Oh wait…

1 Like

I bet someone’s wrist hurts

7 Likes

Steady…

4 Likes

Just a bit of light humour Richard.
Nice to read the old SBLs are still going strong paired with the new NC250 :grin:

1 Like

When your house is finished, you need to get those PMC Twenty5 23 out of storage. I have never heard these speakers, have yours and i version, as good in my room, as I have today, with 222, 300 & 250. I have used these speakers with various systems. I would even go as far, as saying, “in my room”, both ATC 40 actives and passives, which I have owned.
I do remember, having a pair of B&W speakers, which had ferrofluid tweeters. Like you, I had them in storage for a few years. When I finally got the out again, there was hardly any sound from the tweeters. When I took the tweeters to bits, to replace the original ferrofluid, it had gone hard :frowning:. All was well after scraping it out and replacing with some fresh ferrofluid. :blush:
I hope PMC Seas tweeters cope better with storage or you get them out now again and give them a blast.
Anyhow I digress. If you get the chance have a listen to the new classic series and Twenty5 23’s, I think you might be surprised :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thanks for the really informative reply @110dB, much appreciated

4 Likes

Let me be provacative Steve, is the new 250 a big step up compared the old one in sq and soundstage?

Yes, leaving on will reduce life. However, if the SN3 at idle is not very warm so not too much effect.
Turing it on/off is fine. It can ultimately stress the rear mains fuse. Caps, transistors etc are fine.

Also never powering it will reduce life. If caps do not get used the dielectric does not form.
My advice is use and enjoy.

Once run in it’ll come on song in an hour or so after a power down.
Some listeners are more sensitive, Roy G and Paul S did not like turning their active systems off.
I leave mine on 24/7

5 Likes

You could always read the thread…:man_shrugging: ATB Peter

Or… what makes the new 250 better than a 300DR

I did but I didn’t find Steve personal opinion. Did you?

It’s great, personally I like the speed, space and slam.

The team is driven by SQ. If the successor is not better, it is not finished.

Each NAP 250 generation has improved. I’ve seen the dev of 3 generations. The new dev starts with a feasibly study of novel circuit techniques. 250DR was the lucky one and took from Statement. NC 250 took longer.

NC 250 has new ultra compliant constant current sources in the amp’s front end and second gain stage. CCSs are the current version of constant voltage sources…IKA voltage regulators. The new balanced input stage was first tried on a 250DR. The new bal stage uses zero feedback, single ended class A buffers and improved sound…this took many prototypes!

14 Likes

Thanks Steve every your post is really source of lot of clear infos….I was assuming the beginning of your answer and I totally trust it. First time I heard the 250dr I remained shocked by the number of details hidden before.

4 Likes

No I didn’t, but let’s face it, it’s ultimately your ears and taste that counts. All I would suggest is a dealer demo and ‘go compare’. Not everybody will necessarily like the difference ‘sophistication’ brings in overall presentation.
Just take a look at System Pics where there is everything from Chrome Bumper, Olive to today’s kit amongst members here.
I think what Naim has created with this new range looks excellent and makes complete sense for a 3 box system (and no I haven’t listened to it), and as I assume it’s genome is a result of a trickle down from The Statement, I have no difficulty in imagining how it sounds. This still doesn’t mean that it suits everybody’s taste as I said earlier.
In this long thread there are a lot of valued Forum members having expressed their opinions in favour or have already pulled the trigger. If I was in the market for some new gear, I would be on the phone to my dealer for sure. Good luck Peter

2 Likes

The new 250 reveals even more detail than the 250DR. The noise floor is so much lower.

1 Like