The new Adele album…

It’s a shame. I would love to hear her sing some decent tracks, it’s not her best. Too self indulgent and “woe is me’. Maybe if she was in a happier place she could produce a decent album

2 Likes

It may be cathartic for the songwriter but if too personal I think can alienate the audience. Wasn’t that keen on Kacey Musgraves latest.

She’d put me in a happier place if she didn’t produce any more albums…

19 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

Fair play to Adele notwithstanding my emoji above, she is very popular.

I like a couple of her songs but a complete album would be a bit like " I like children, but I couldn’t manage a whole one"

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I am not a particular fan of Adele, but listening through MDA via laptop it is well produced, engaging in production.

I also listened briefly to the latest and last Abba production again well produced but I cringed at the vocals that seemed to be distantly miked.

Adele is one of my favorite singers of all time. In concert she was amazing. 21 and 25 are great, 19 very good. 30 has 2 or 3 listenable songs, a couple more ok and the rest terrible. I give it a C- (that’s generous) and I’m an Adele fan.

2 Likes

I understand Inflo, who produces the excellent Sault albums, had a hand on several tracks.

So will have to give 30 a listen at some point.

Agree - the Live at AH DVD is very good IMV.

But, producing more angst-ridden type songs (as with 30), doesn’t grab my ear at all.

And I thought Skyfall was awful - obviously YMMV, noting how well-received it was by many.

2 Likes

wow, top of the pops!

Feel that way about a lot of albums!

Best 'break up’album? has to be ‘Avalon’ Roxy Music?

1 Like

Oooh - contentious! Might need to start a new thread here but I would throw Sea Change by Beck and Emma Forever by Bon Iver into the mix

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head for me. Self-pitying wailing for the most part, she should listen to I, Me, Mine on Let It Be whilst looking in a mirror.

1 Like

Not sure many on this forum are Adele’s target audience.

2 Likes

Blood on the Tracks.

1 Like

I know there was a conversation at work at the time of her last tour, bottom line, she doesn’t write for men.

Then just a thought, for angst, separation, is Leonard Cohen the best lyric writer?

I liked Adele’s previous albums, but this is self-indulgent, unlistenable garbage.

3 Likes

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.