The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I believe that if you put the “instant on” switch on the back panel in the “on” position, it keeps the preamp circuits powered up and settled even when the Nait50 goes into the standby mode. That is what my dealer advised and it seems to work well that way: Always ready.

1 Like

@110dB Hi Steve, can you clarify please? Instant on vs auto standby: does instant on just prevent auto standby? Meaning that regardless of the switch position, if it goes into standby itself or because we put it in standby, it’s exactly the same? Or is instant on keeping one eye open ready to spring into action, even when in standby? Thanks

1 Like

Thanks - that’s the question I was trying to pose unsuccessfully!
This should have been a reply to @robert_h

Here’s what I found:

I think instant on just prevents auto standby. And standby is standby, minimal stuff powered.

1 Like

That’s what I think as well. The button has the wrong position names; it should be auto standby on and auto standby off. “Instant on” is misleading.

1 Like

Thanks for that summary. Do you think ‘Instant on’ might have been wording that was devised when it was thought that the amp would have auto on? Clearly it was thought that would be a function at some point as it was written into the manual. With its current functionality, ‘instant on’ doesn’t seem appropriate.

No idea :smiley:

I’ve worked for a variety of engineering firms, software and hardware, mistakes and misunderstandings surely happen. I would be surprised if something like that got through though. Particularly given the small form factor and that packaging all the functions in was likely a high priority issue from the start. 110db likely knows for sure, but I’m hoping he doesn’t give us too much insight into how Naim work, I’m happy that some of the background is just magic :sparkles: :wink:

1 Like

I think the ambiguity was a deliberate design choice to

1. Provide a quirk that endears itself to owners and potential owners alike.
  2. Give forum dwellers something to discuss
2 Likes

Hi @robert_h,

The quick answer is that the ‘instant on’ switch will enable/disable the music sense auto-standby function.

Going deeper
The Nait 50 has two modes; ‘on’ and ‘standby’.

When it is ‘on’:

• Ready to play music.
  • The main toroidal transformer PSU is on
  • EuP 0.5W SMPSU is off (better for sound quality)

When is in ‘standby’

• It will not play music
  • The main toroidal transformer PSU is off
  • The 0.5W SMPSU is on and keeping the power button awake
  • The amplifiers have no power

The rear panel ‘Instant on’ switch has two positions; ‘on’ and ‘off’

When it is set to ‘on’

• If the Nait is on it will stay on
  • The music sense circuits are turned off
  • If the Nait is ‘on’ and the front panel ‘mains’ button is pressed it will go to standby (as detailed above)
  • If the Nait is in ‘standby’ and the front panel ‘mains’ button is pressed it will turn ‘on’ (as detailed above)

When it is set to ‘off’

• If the Nait is on it will stay on if the music continues
  • The music sense circuits are turned on and will put the Nait into standby after 15 minute of silence
  • If the Nait is ‘on’ and the front panel ‘mains’ button is pressed it will go to standby (as detailed above)
  • If the Nait is in ‘standby’ and the front panel ‘mains’ button is pressed it will turn ‘on’ (as detailed above)

Cheers
Steve

9 Likes

What is the soundstage width and depth like on the NN50 ?

And how does it compare to the SN3?

@Thumper23

Check out this thread: Is the new NAIT 50 a better integrated than the SN3?

1 Like

On the Nait 50 performance, I hadn’t quite twigged at first (although I think a few folks did mention) that the Nait 50 is similar to the original in that the midrange is particularly transparent and clear.

Overall, I think the best thing about it is that it’s so well balanced. I supposed being in control of phono stage, pre- and power amp design helps, but even so, it works really well as a whole and sounds just right.

6 Likes

Yes - I’ve seen that. Doesn’t really comment on soundstage.

To my mind this is where the SN3 falls over relative to its competitors.

Perfect, thanks!

Thanks Steve, so standby from an amplifier perspective, is effectively off. The standby SMPS only enables the logic circuitry to bring the amp out of standby when the power button is pressed, powering up the linear supply, disabling the SMPS in the process and is now ready to play music.

Mine is warming up nicely after being turned off for a week whilst I’ve been away. Sounding excellent again already :+1:

3 Likes

Tonight with the album “Ultimate Santana”, it’s wonderful. And of course it plays Nait 50, Qutest and the outstanding ATC SCM7v3.

5 Likes

Hi Xantores, I’ve already compared the Nait 50 with my 282/SCDR/250DR on the B&W 805d3. I believe I can live with the Nait 50. It has no issue to drive the B&W at all. Actually I prefer its photo input (with SUT) to my Linn Uphorik.

19 Likes

As a matter of interest, Bandit, which SUT are you using with your NAIT 50?

1 Like

Yes I agree Bandit

Currently using the Nait 50 with fully loaded LP12ARO/superline/supercap dr/ Armageddon and Neat Petite 30’s

Using the SN3/HICAPDR before the Nait 50

That combo sitting idle as we speak , dare say I could live with the little one :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Graham, I’m using only Sony HA-T10. They are pretty good.

2 Likes