The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

I don’t even bother to do that with my ‘small’ system, as I have no FM aerial connected.

1 Like

Goodness that Nait 50 is brilliant , I can’t stop
listening to the music coming from it

One of my great Naim purchases I reckon

6 Likes

No popping noise noticed here, in fact not sure I have not noticed any noise from the speakers when turning on out of standby… the loudest noise are from the clicks of the power relays switching over.in my opinion.

Yeah I tend to agree with you… it does become a little addictive… I actually prized myself away from listening through it last night….

Mine makes a pop if you switch on with “phono” selected and the volume not at zero. The stream or aux inputs don’t do this.

1 Like

‘Pops‘ the speakers like all Naim amps when first switched on at the mains/plugged in. Using the ‘mains’ on the amp does then NOT produce the usual ‘pop’ from the speakers.

2 Likes

Mine popped when I plugged the mains plug into the power strip for the first time but not since. I’ve found the Nait 50 to be nice and quiet overall.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by switching on and off. There is no on/off switch on the amp itself. The only way to switch the amp completely off is to remove the mains supply in some way. If you do that mine makes a popping noise but that should only be done in particular circumstances, for example if a thunderstorm is coming. Otherwise the amp should always be powered up. The button on the front only switches to and from stand-by and should be silent in my experience. The power light is dimmer in stand-by. The switch on the back controls whether the amp goes into stand-by automatically when it has not been used for nineteen minutes. This is the off position of the switch and is the default when delivered. The advice of Naim is to have that switch turned to ‘on’ so the amp doesn’t go into stand-by automatically. If used as described the amp should be silent, but it is possible that there could be a noise associated with the phono input as someone has mentioned, but I have no experience of using it and it might be a characteristic of a particular turntable or cartridge and the earthing arrangement. If you could describe in more detail your experience of when the popping noise happens, the forum may be able to advise whether your unit is possibly faulty.

2 Likes

There’s a mains button on mine, and I’m pretty sure that mine is not the only one with this facility!

I have no idea whether the unit ‘pops’ on being switched on or off, as mine is left switched on all the time. (That was always Naim’s advice in the past, and I see no reason to disregard it now.)

1 Like

It is marked ‘mains’ but it only switches to and from stand-by. It doesn’t turn the amp ‘off’ in the same way as the on/off button on a Naim power supply like the Supercap.

2 Likes

The amp doesn’t produce sound unless the mains switch is depressed, so that seems a fairly apt description of a mains switch to me.

It’s a standby button; there isn’t a “turn it completely off” button on the unit. You have to turn it off at the wall, assuming you have a switched mains socket. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a pop if doing this, but I never do.

My speakers don’t go pop during normal operation.

3 Likes

An online Naim retailer is selling a couple of open box never used Nait 50’s at £700 off retail if anyone is interested

I nearly bought but I can’t justify it … but it was very tempting

Not sure I can name the retailer but a google search should find them …

3 Likes

LED once more: because RS costumer service told me that they can only ship in the UK, I ordered various white and green LED lenses from different manufacturers (all 5mm diameter) from Mouser Electronics. They are cheap and were delivered in a few days. However, shipping (from Texas/US to Switzerland) costs 20 euros. I achieved the best result with a combination of 2 green and 2 white lenses.

• the green variant (light green and green variant) comes quite close to the LED of the ND5XS2. The brightness is reduced by around 50%. However, it is still brighter than the small LED on the streamer. Unfortunately, I didn’t order any yellow variants. This would probably bring the colour variant even closer to the original Naim LED colour
  • the white version (two white lenses) is more subdued and very pleasant.
    Green or white is a matter of taste. The lenses are easy to slide on, even on top of each other. No glue was required.
    I could give the article numbers from Mouser, but I’m afraid that would be against the forum rules.
    (First Photo original, others are variants, in reality the difference is bigger than on the Photos)

10 Likes

After a successful home demo, I’ve decided to make it permanent! Just about to unbox this wonderful amplifier:

21 Likes

Did you come to any conclusion about your problem with the Nait 50?

1 Like

Hi all,

…just a little design background about the muting/unmuting and soft-start.

Nait 50 on/off
Plugging in the Nait 50 to the mains you may hear a small click/pop as the control circuits take hold.

Once plugged in, it will go directly into 0.5W standby. Only the small SMPSU is on (under the black cover at the back). This powers the logic circuits; no microprocessors in the Nait 50). The audio circuits are completely off.

Pressing the ‘mains’ front panel button will toggle between standby (0.5W mode) and listening mode. The front LED will be brighter in listening mode. The button is called ‘mains’ to be like the original Nait, but is in fact a standby button.

Going in and out of standby by pressing the ‘mains’ button is very quiet (or auto standby). There is a 4 stage power down/power up sequence to take care of proceedings. FYI it is the same mute strategy in the new classic power amps.

Soft-start
Soft-start is how the mains toroidal power transformer starts up (the large round object). At power up a special resistor called an NTC soaks up the mains inrush current as the transformer magnetises. This prevents stressing the mains fuse and for bigger amplifiers stops RCD circuit breakers from inadvertently tripping. This is separate from the power amp section 4 stage mute. Once the toroidal has magnetised the NTC and the 0.5W SMPSU are switched off the N50 is ready to play.

Cheers
Steve

22 Likes

@110dB Hi Steve, just wondering if you’ve seen this topic? Cheers

Just treated myself to a ‘matching’ CD transport for the 50. A TEAC PD-505T.

Untried. However, looks to do everything I want and TEAC have a Christmas discount of 15% on their site, so went for it!

10 Likes

Do you have a dac to go with it?