The Queen

I’m not a great fan of the BBC but credit where it’s due, they have excelled themselves here. The coverage was top notch!

6 Likes

I suspect so many others did the same…….myself included

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t quite understand it, nor some of the clapping and ‘whooping/cheering’ as the King travelled from the Palace to Westminster Abbey.

Maybe you could view that part and commentary on iPlayer?

It’s a bit like watching your kids at a concert/show/sports day - we all tend to try to get a bit of video on phones if we can these days, but so often I wish I hadn’t and just enjoyed the performance instead.

With a funeral procession however I’m not sure I’d have been that interested in personal footage or selfies.

1 Like

I think the occasion just gets to people. They’ve waited all day, probably through the night too and they just want to show appreciation.

I think they were playing one of three funeral marches by Beethoven. Basically they played them on repeat, as it were.

1 Like

Have shed several tears this afternoon, and am still welling up even now.

Due to the pandemic amongst other things we never really managed a normal send off for my parents, and I think some of my grief may have come through watching today’s events.

It is perhaps a foolish wish but I am hoping that the Queen’s passing will bring all countries of the world a little closer to each other, and to peace and understanding.

15 Likes

Britain is a much diminished realm compared to what it was when Queen Elizabeth was born. And today we face many challenges which by the end of the week will again dominate the media and our leaders in the usual strident and divisive tones. But today’s ceremony showed the world Britain’s best side: a State event on a magnificent scale, delivered with a faultless choreography by the military and others, while many thousands of ordinary people joined-in with a show of heart-felt respect for a sovereign they loved.
While not a religious person, I though Justin Welby’s address in Westminster Abbey was excellent. I very much hope that this sad occasion, in which people and its leaders have come together, will serve to help better unify us going forward. That legacy would properly honour Queen Elizabeth. RIP, your Majesty.

18 Likes

Yes, the piper walking away down the corridor, and the music gently fading out, that did it for me. :heart: :cry:

11 Likes

Yes, and perhaps more than that I’d like to think it was a show of support and affection for the new King. Quite a hard thing to judge.

2 Likes

Yes, the fading of the lone Piper was very emotional.

4 Likes

Yes, Beethoven’s three funeral marches were played, and I think also Mendelssohn’s and Chopin’s. They did indeed seem to be set on Repeat, but with a procession over a mile and a quarter in length, they can probably be forgiven!

Mark

2 Likes

I must say I found the service at Windsor to be far more moving due to it being more personal to the majority attending and smaller yet still grand scale.

The Queen’s horse and corgis moved me.

18 Likes

Wow the last lament really got me…farewell…

4 Likes

HM shedding a few tears on camera was very moving.

3 Likes

Thanks David, but all the links only seem to show the music actually played during the services, not the music played outside. The Beethoven funeral marches did seem to be on repeat but the laments and the music accompanying the very first moving of the coffin are not listed :frowning:

1 Like

Early on I was watching on the projector via iPlayer while my daughter and Mrs AC were watching on the 4k Samsung TV with an aerial terrestrial TV feed.

iPlayer never lives up to the quality of terrestrial TV.

Despite the Samsung being 6 years old or more it looked much better than big screen simply due to the poor iPlayer quality.

1 Like

It’s NEVER foolish to wish for such an outcome…. Only foolish not to.

6 Likes