The Reggae Thread

Get Soul Of Jamaica as well I promise you wont be dissapointed.
I have the CD’s, will be interested to hear how you find the sound of the vinyl LP. Incidentally some of the tracks from Soul Of Jamaica have been issued on 12" 45rpm
:+1:

I’m stunned to have just stumbled on the news that producer Bobby Digital Dixon passed away aged 59.
Whilst I wasnt keen on much of the Dancehall output Bobby Digital was one of the key producers in the renaissance of more roots and culture artists like Sizzla, Morgan Heritage, Capelton, Cocoa T and the great Garnett Silk who’s life was cut tragically short when he died in a fire at his home, his body was reportedly found hugging his mother.

VP Records released two anthologies one of Dancehall one Roots
various-bobby-digital-serious-times-reggae-anthology-digital-b-vol.-2-vp-3xcd-82412-pekm320x320ekm

https://www.vprecords.com/double-reggae-anthology-series-by-legendary-jamaican-producer-bobby-digital-set-for-release-this-february/

I would highly recommend the single CD set Flag Flown High which has many of the essential contemporary roots tracks

RIP & Respect due
Bobby Digital
:heart:

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

I have had this on VHS since it came out in 1981. To me it’s absolutely priceless and as far as I have been able to find never been made available since. My tape is still in good order and have often thought about digitising and uploading it but dont know how to go about it.
Anyway I just discovered someone has uploaded it to Youtube.
I haven’t watched it here just taken a quick glance from my phone so cant vouch for the quality.
Assuming it looks and sounds OK on larger screen and you have 90 mins to spare I would highly recommend tuning in before it gets taken down.
The documentary film is quite low budget and grainy anyway. However if you can see past this it is a fantastic film of Jimmy Cliff organising a free concert in his home community of Somerton whilst bloody political violence (the 1980 election) rages on the streets of Kingston.
We see Jimmy rehearsing in the Studio and follow him on his travels around the Island, along the way reasoning with a Rasta elder, highlighting woman’s liberation and journeying up into the Mountains and The Maroon community.
There is footage of Jimmy and his band on tour internationally including Switzerland, Germany & Soweto South Africa in front of 55,000 adoring fans The performances are phenomenal and still raise the hairs on my neck.
This film shows the real grass roots Jimmy Cliff and evidence of how criminally underrated he is/was in the shadow of Bob Marley.
Just to illustrate the point footage of Jimmy singing No Woman No Cry is intercut with footage of Bob Marley performing as though inviting comparison.

If you think Jimmy Cliff is just about The Harder They Come, You Can Get It If You Really Want, Many Rivers To Cross etc (His terrific back catalogue is always frustratingly out of print except for the annoyingly ubiquitous variants of “Best of” compilations) this is a must see.

1 Like

CD playing. Beautiful. CD case is really nice too!

Signed by Jah9, Winston and (not sure) Ken Boothe perhaps

2 Likes

Been years since I heard Misty IR…

I really must get a copy.

1 Like

Got to love Misty In Roots and The Ruts who formed part of The People Unite Collective at their base in Southall. MIR another band who’s back catalogue is frustratingly almost permanently out of print. They constantly tour, I’ve seen them many times most recently last year at One Love. I was due to see them again along with The Ruts as part of the Rock Against Racism revival/celebration that Covid has put the mockers on.
Respect most definitely due, Misty have been through a lot of tribulation, Clarence Baker came close to being murdered by the Police when he came close to death after suffering a fractured skull from being bludgeoned by some racist neanderthal cozzer, Keyboard player Vernon got jailed and vocalist Delvin Tyson went for a swim in Zimbabwe and disappeared apparently drowned.
Despite all the trial and tribulation Misty have avoided fad and fashion in the music and continued to plough their own righteous furrow

So pleased your enjoying Inna De Yard, its wonderful isn’t it? I hope you decide to get the Soul Of Jamaica set as well.
Did you get the vinyl pressing as well? be interested to know how it sounds.
Inna De Yard were due to tour prior to lockdown, hope they make it here eventually. There is a full length film due for release soon as well.

Bless

Hey @steviebee
Hope I’m not getting too carried away but I forgot to mention the superb Ken Boothe solo Inna De Yard album

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I just heard this news that Ringo’s boy Zac Starkey has been in Jamaica launching a new label Trojan Jamaica.
He’s been recording with Sly n Robbie and a whole host of top notch artists.
Theres an album Red Gold Green And Blue, which includes tracks like Mykal Rose covering Screamin Jay Hawkins, Andrew Tosh - Muddy Waters, Big Youth - Bo Diddly…

I think theres also a new Toots & The Maytals album from this project

:sunglasses:

1 Like