The Reggae Thread

Nice one, in what capacity if I may ask?

He was buying something from my store ( well, not mine exactly!) - can’t remember what it was. A TV perhaps… tho I may be mixing the TV up with David Gilmour ( he was cool too). But Don was uber cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Brian James from the Damned is a regular in my cab, me and another cabbie have a bit of a wind up going on. Brian always looks a bit chuffed when hes recognised but then we always deliberately divert and focus the conversation to centre on Capt Sensible throughout the journey. Probably doesnt sound too funny in writing but if you could see his expression and body language… :joy:

2 Likes

Naughty Dread! :laughing:

1 Like

Like I said, you would need to be a fly on the wall! Whenever either of us have had him in the cab we always link up and have a right old belly laugh! :joy:

Hilarious tune from the one Macka B,
What happened to real dancing?
Listen up!
From his new EP Gentrification

:joy:

Great album!

1 Like

Yeah I’m familiar with it. Do check out her albums to date. The dub meeting with Mad Prof is superb, but it does in my opinion take away from Jah9’s poetic lyricism which should be heard in there fullness.
Check these out if you havent already
New Name
R-4855577-1377603540-1375.jpeg

Note To Self

From time to time she also makes available some very worthwhile free downloads on her website
Jah9

:heart:

1 Like

Thanks Dread. Wilco.

1 Like

Dont get me wrong the Mad Prof is a great current dub album, but when you hear the original vocal tunes it will make more sense and I think you will get what I’m saying.
Try the 9 album (which is the source of much of the Mad Prof dubs) which was her second, then the other two.

2 Likes

I certainly will Dread!
I’ll look for all of em, but 9 first as you suggest :heart:

You’ll know this one. One of my favourite singles:

1 Like

Ah man! Joy Mack, tune!

1 Like

Damn right!

(I guess in Jamaica, ‘tune dem’ would have a slightly different emphasis! :wink:)

PS Jah 9…ordered!

1 Like

It would indeed.
Just had a revival rub up the wallpaper with Mrs Dread!
Have a listen to this, I posted this morning, brilliant lyrics, try to listen without smiling

Btw did you catch the recent Small Axe series of films, the first about The Mangrove was my favourite, BUT the Lovers Rock episode, wow, check that out, not much plot just a night at a Blooz dance, look out for the cameo appearance of Dennis Bovell

3 Likes

I didn’t see the Small Axe series, sadly ( was at work for all, and kept forgetting to set record. I’ll go Catch Up).

Always nice to hear Ms Kay! I’ll check Macka B later… I’m deep into London Calling right now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Edit/ you’re spot on - Macka B is great!
Added to my buy list… and my wife and I will dancin’ face to face! Great lyrics…

1 Like

Whilst rubbing the pattern off the wallpaper, naturally :grin:

Well, a good bit of rubbin’, certainly!

1 Like

I’m sure your familiar with Macka B.
He has a long recording connection with Mad Proffesor and his Ariwa label.
Starting IIRC with his Sign Of The Times LP back in the eighties which included the humorous Wet Look Crazy about the wet look hairstyle fad, remember that? The hilarious Baked Bean And Egg, a tale of how Macka B had a girlfriend who, despite his needing a Rasta Ital diet, could only provide “pure backed bean and egg!” Along with more serious conscious material like the biting satire on European colonialism, Invasion
R-660102-1276115574.jpeg

This should be on the school curriculum…

TBH, I don’t recall Macka B (pun on Maccabees? Lol) despite the Ariwa connection, so I’m very pleased you’ve brought him to my shortsighted attention :+1:

1 Like