The Reggae Thread

Cheers sjw, not heard that one.
The album Second Light is a favourite sounds great on the original vinyl

Featuring the vocal of Earl Sixteen

:+1:

When first released, This Is Jamaica Ska followed in the footsteps of the successful Ska Authentic releases and also marked the first time that Clement Dodd began to showcase on LP his new discovery, The Wailers, who had begun tearing up the dances in Kingston with “Simmer Down.” This song had been held for exclusive use in the dances before it was finally put out on 45, now it gained album status marking the increased visibility of the group in the marketplace. In addition to “Simmer Down,” two other songs by The Wailers are also found on the album: “How Many Times”, and the blazing cover of Jimmy Clanton’s “Go, Jimmy, Go” which Clement Dodd had proposed for the group to incorporate into their repertoire. Also found on This Is Jamaica Ska are songs by Bajan Jackie Opel, a prolific hit maker for the label in this period, with the ribald “Push Wood” and the popular duet “The Vow” with Doreen Shaffer. Anchored by the instrumentals of Roland Alphonso (Clement Dodd’s good friend), Don Drummond’s “Roll On Sweet Don” (here in its correct form), The Skatalites mento-inspired Salt Lane Gal, and mighty vocal outings by the cream of the label’s stars, this became a monumental release. Special mention to “Bongo Tango” which features what is basically a drum solo by Lloyd Knibbs throughout the entire song! The cover for This Is Jamaica Ska alone is iconic in Ska circles and here taken from the original WIRL release.

Transferred in 2020 from the original master tapes, This Is Jamaica Ska is a welcome addition to the Studio One Original Masters Series Archive.

£13 double vinyl album resident records Brighton…

1 Like

Result!

Steel Pulse supporting The Royal Protectors Of Mauna Kea

:heart:

More Studio One goodness! Vinyl gone already but CD & Download available

Studio One, the legendary Jamaican label that pioneered the reggae, ska and dancehall crazes and sparked the careers of Bob Marley, Alton Ellis, Jackie Mittoo and dozens of other reggae luminaries, have released thousands of essential reggae classics over its unrivaled six-decade long history. Studio First: From the Vaults, Vol. 2 is a collection of 20 Studio One rarities that are either entirely unreleased or available for the first time on LP, featuring numerous Studio One heavy hitters like Dennis Brown, Ken Boothe, Jennifer Lara and Johnny Osbourne. This is the second installment of Studio One’s From the Vaults series. The first volume was released for Record Store Day Black Friday 2017 and reached #1 on the Billboard Reggae Chart, selling out on vinyl immediately

Volume 1 still available

:sunglasses:

Has anyone bought this? Bob Marley, Live At The Rainbow, 1977 (Amazon Exclusive LP) [VINYL] . If you have, I would be interested on what you think of performance, SQ and pressing.

I think some of it is on the deluxe Exodus CD, but maybe different nights, mixes, etc.
Thanks

I’m guessing it’s taken from the recent restored 4th June 1977 concert which is up on YouTube. I couldnt see the vinyl you mention could you post a link?

Cheers

Found it…

Thanks. That’s it - I have been listening to a stream on Apple Music and was wondering what the vinyl would bring to the game. I have no experience of Amazon pressings. I might ask in the vinyl thread as well.

If you wanted to take a punt Amazon are good for accepting returns.
That said, although their return policy is really good, I’m personally done with buying records from them that I can get elsewhere due to the number of orders I’ve recieved damaged lately. All returned no problem but it’s a hassle, if this is exclusive to Amazon though then theres no choice at this time.
The audio is restored from the concert footage and likely digitally cleaned up and transferred back to analogue to cut an LP, could be good could be bad.
Its listed on Discogs as mastered by Alex Abrash for LP which is unknown to me, the digital remastering appears to have been done by another unknown Craig Dormer at Red Light Mastering in Soho London whose resume looks pretty dull and uninspiring. It’s likely that those digital files will be the source for the LP mastering done by Alex Abrash over at AA Mastering in the USA. laquer cutting and pressing is done at Optimal which usually is a good sign although I’ve had one or two disappointments more recently. Not sure about that source chain, doesnt read great to me.
If you do decide to take a punt, let us know your findings
Cheers

Thanks for that information - it doesn’t sound very promising and to be honest I can’t be bothered with returning it if it’s not great. I regret not buying the expanded Lyceum concert on vinyl.

Tbh I’m a massive fan of this music but this “Amazon exclusive” isn’t one I’m itching for. I think it’s best taken in the context of the concert footage, it’s on youtube but hopefully a decent DVD/BluRay will follow.

One final thought, I see it’s available in HiRes and Master quality on Qobuz & Tidal. So if the LP mastering is sourced from HiRes digital that could be promising albeit with caveats about who’s done the restoration & “remastering”. Maybe check out how it sounds on a HiRes stream if you have access.

I haven’t made the jump to HiRes streaming yet - just been using Apple Music via an Auralic Aries into the Naim system as a way of sampling music. So I have heard the concert via that route and it does sound good even at reduced resolution - I’ll have a look at the YouTube footage as well.

So sad to hear of the passing of Johnny Nash. He linked up with Bob Marley back in the early Seventies signing him to Johnny Nash & Danny Sims JAD label, initially to promote Marley and Reggae to an American audience. Bob taught Johnny how to play Reggae. There is some interesting and amusing recollections from Rabbit Bundrick who worked with Bob, Johnny and Danny on a film score that never materialised, see below

RIP Johnny Nash

:heart:

1 Like

Johnny Nash

R.I.P. and thank you,

Richard

2 Likes

Oh my lord what a day! This is starting to read like an obituary column.
Just heard this shocking news of the passing of key producer in the history of Jamaican Music Bunny Striker Lee

RIP & Massive Respect Due
Edward Osullivan Lee

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

@CliveB
This might be of interest coming in November

the uprising tour ran in europe from may to july 1980 with five further dates in the usa in september.

it was bob marley’s last tour before his tragically early death in may 1981 at the age of just 36. a few days after the release of the “uprising” album marley played this now legendary live show from dortmund’s westfalenhalle on june 13th. bob marley is on superb form and delivers a set of hit singles and classic album tracks. his energetic, charismatic performance gives no indication that he was already ill with the cancer that would take his life less than a year later and this release is testament to his spirit and his musicianship. this special 3lp edition is released to celebrate what would have been his 75th year.

bob-500x500

1 Like

Bunny Lee, RIP and what a sad day!