The S1 pre shining bright

I am using wall mounted nSats these days, driven by 552/500. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, this has turned out not to be the sonic disaster that i feared! Going passive has reduced number of racks to 2 meaning there is probably room now for … errhmmmm, squint, squint!!! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

enjoy/ken

4 Likes

Oh that’s great news Ken, I was under the impression that you’d sold the whole lot. Not too shabby at all then :clap:t2: Best Peter

Your describing my system here excluding the stand mounts Peter. More than happy for you to leave yours with me for a bit and I’ll let you know! :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

1 Like

As always you’re all heart popeye :innocent::rofl: Best Peter

Did you sell the SL2s Ken? Your old Sibbles are still sounding amazing!

yes, silly me!! Glad to hear my old SBLs are still alive!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are talking here probably as good as it gets AGAIG -is this an established acronym already? - with naim systems, ie full passive statements vs S1pre/500DR active before becoming really silly with 6 statement poweramps. I personally would rate an active S1/500DR system superior in its overall musical presentation compared to full passive Statement. Although I havent tried passive statment within my setting, it didn’t convince me entirely when listening to it at a dealers demo. So for now I definitely prefer my active rig. There are some downsides though too. A tremendous box count requiring numerous fraim shelves - I have >15 without pre and tt- also catching a lot of dust, and occupying quite significant floor space. Conversely the full statements look much tidier and nicely organized with sure much better waf. Cable dressing is quite an issue, and active rigs generally need much more attention to detail of setup and maintenance. In terms of cost yes active 500 is cheaper than full statement but you may need to factor in additional costs not only for shelves. More importantly the extra costs for cabling has the potential of becoming really hard to swallow as most is needed in triplicates such as speaker cables burndeys xlrs, and then a bunch of others. I haven’t done an exact calculation but the difference sure diminishes. What may also be an issue is that with active s1/500dr one is rather limited with speaker choice. As far as I know only dbl (nbl) ovator 800 and now kudos 808 are suitable for such big active rigs with all of them except for kudos being vintage speakers, built in rather small numbers only, and meanwhile running out of further custom support. So if anything goes wrong you may find yourself pretty much left on your own. Refurbishing these like I did with my dbls sure is a lot of fun but may not be to everybody’s taste.

Apologies Peter, didn’t want to detract from your original thread with my sermon on S1active here I can imagine quite well how fine your new S1 performs in your system. :wink:

6 Likes

Hi Charlie,
No reason to apologise at all, it is equally interesting to learn how the uplift with the S1 is within the confines of a proper active system dust and all. :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

I have always found L shape rooms problematical … I could never get the sweet spot right…

It is indeed a challenge. My own room isn’t L shaped, but it isn’t perfectly parallelepipedic either, and add to it the fact that my system isn’t perfectly positioned.

But after a some proper room treatment I could achieve an amazing result. But that kind of treatment has a cost…

1 Like

…which is still marginal to the system cost. However, the blood, sweat and tears is the worst bit I think :cry: Glad it’s done now! Best Peter

1 Like

It depends on how the ‘L’ is dimensioned - mine is a ‘fat’ L, or really a rectangular room with a 2m x 1.5m corner missing. It seems to offer a natural bass-modes disruption perhaps, but in any case the dimensions for specific resonances are not as strongly reinforced.

What I found most important is that the Speakers needed to have behind them the structural external wall - where they sound amazingly better than against the internal wall from another side of the room - I’ve tried my system along both axis. The speakers along the long dimension where they can get more space - and also have the strongest wall behind - works significantly better, to the extent it sound like I have better speakers when they are there.

Furnishings by experiment - one thing that ruined performance was to have any curtains behind the speakers - awful boomy sound and that experiment ended very quick! For me a solid hard wall behind the speakers with a mix of natural diffracting and absorbing materials from carefully placed furnishings does the rest - but you have to listen-tweak-listen to get it all optimal.

DB.

1 Like

How to build a perfect room. La Scala, the art of technology :

THE CONSTRUCTION

« Equally as important to the components is the environment. The ideal listening room will be free of ambient noise and other distractions. Acoustic treatments will absorb the hum of the HVAC and rattling water pipes. The space will be free of harsh lighting, filled only with soft, relaxing light and there will be no capacity for video. This combination of exceptional components producing nearly flawless sound and the distraction-free environment, will allow the listener to hear subtle artifacts in the music that were previously unnoticed.

The room’s furnishings and physical dimensions are essential to the experience. The proper room requires some soft surfaces – some will say that even a glass coffee table or leather couch is not suitable as they will reflect sound, opting instead for fabric seating. The height of the seat back is recommended to be below the listener’s ear level, allowing unobstructed hearing without reflection. The single seat should be positioned in what will be known as the “sweet spot” or “money seat,” as determined by the engineer’s calculations. The calculations for the room itself are also of great importance. To determine an acoustically accurate room for optimal listening, audio engineers employ the Bonello Graph, a method of calculating the ideal room ratio of dimension and volume, explained here by AcousticFields.com. In the audiophile world, this is also referred to as the acoustic amoeba.

Are you an audiophile or serious music lover that wants to experience all that the music has to offer? Hearing is believing! Let’s set up an in-home consultation and schedule a demo – you can even bring your own music. And stay-tuned. Part 2 will cover amplification, calibration, connectivity and content. Did you know Neil Young was launching a high-quality music streaming service? »

Do you agree with that ? For instance I don’t share the beginning. I like to listen with a lot of sun light in my room, and open windows in summer. So relaxing light ? Not for me.
A room without windows, with not a living room ambience : not for me.

2 Likes

Interesting…my experience relates to an L shape with quite a deep L … it seemed to suck the life out of the system and the stereo atmosphere was denuded … I tried firing the speakers all ways… but I just could not get the system to work with the room… I remember thinking then … hmm note to self try and avoid L shaped rooms. This is only personal experience not something really based on science… Glad you have yours singing!

I suppose my room is not really an ‘L’ shape - in that it is really a rectangle with a corner removed that is roughly less than 10% of the room volume.
I think very pronounced and essentially separate ‘arms’ on a true L-shape room will have their own modes of vibration that then interact and may be a lot more difficult to work with.

…in any case although the listening room needs to be brought to within a good and acceptable condition, you will know when it is - you will not be distracted from immersion and involvement in your music is a good test.

There is always more that can be had from various aspects of the HiFi installation and picking the next place to play with is part of the hobby-aspect. Generally these days I make fewer changes over time as I feel a lot closer to whatever ‘goal’ for music I seem to have. For sure there is still a lot more to come I think from many areas - the room is a part but IMO for me not the largest part for now.

DB.

1 Like

Mine is 6.4m x 5 - 6 m with a fireplace projecting quite a lot on a internal wall and some of the 5-6m variation being a double door into the hall. I don’t even sit at a sweet spot which would be in front of the fire. The speakers are not even symmetric! We started with them this way almost because it was nonnegotiable!

But it works with very definite positions and I get good stereo imaging. Lots of soft furnishings. I notice when a chair gets moved, or is it my imagination. I doubt there are any room modes because of the irregularity, but it is wonderful to listen to.

PS We laid the observatory base today. Astrophotography is my new hobby! Although 45m away, it will be controlled from the armchair!

Phil

8 Likes

Like the telescope. My Celestron 6 is somewhat smaller but loved my my daughter!

1 Like

No - it happens! :slightly_smiling_face:
Here I find that the Xmas tree can either improve or worsen the sound depending on exactly where I place it and how I dress it - and a particular chair placed where you would think it blocks the presentation actually improves it if left in the ‘wrong’ place.

Room-modes can be controlled to a surprising effect with seeming random placement of soft absorbent furnishings that break-up and diffract the sound. Very complex to model but easy to hear if you let yourself accept what you are hearing.

Nice cozy room! :bear:

DB.

3 Likes

For me it’s always the 47’th bauble which tips the system balance :rofl: ATB Peter

4 Likes

…there is a difference if they hang-free or do not and touch the tree… :wink:

DB.

3 Likes