The S1 pre shining bright

Dont know, but would be a fun day for sure

1 Like

Gorgeous system, excellent write-up !!
enjoy/ken

2 Likes

Genuinely pleased for you. It was a brave decision - given the cost - but it’s clearly paid off.

One thing that slightly puzzled me was your reference to the apparent weakness in your system with the 552. Was this not apparent before the 552 was serviced in May or was it something that you were hoping the service might eliminate? I’m also intrigued by your mention of the off-Forum chatter re the 552.

Hi JP, it wasn’t really brave but more so nerve racking and painfully expensive :rofl:.
If I was to report on the issues I’ve had with my hardware throughout the 2 1/2 years we have lived here, I’d be spending hours writing and you’d be falling asleep.
Everything has now been serviced and 500 DRed and even the midrange drive units in the Facts have been replaced FOC courtesy PMC. Also Townsend Podiums were added to surprisingly good effect leading to better perceived resolution throughout the frequency band.
Maybe also a better Fraim set up and weight distribution more equal, and of course a fresh complete rebuild could also have contributed to a better sound.
I feel the room treatment has also contributed very positively to actually proper hearing what the system is doing due to a much better frequency response.
Going back to your question re hoping the service would solve my issue with the slight shoutiness or congestion on close miked vocal and where the going gets a bit tough- the servicing did not solve that since it was done 6 months ago. Curiosity in the end overruled my previous LALALA-approach to any mentioning of the S1. Et voila… :clap:t2:
‘Off- Forum’ is simply having a good old chin wag with a few people here about ups and downs with our gear. A group of us have become good friends and share our wins and losses, music listening etc either on the phone or little gatherings, where eating and drinking tends to take precedence - Yep, we are sad bunch of nurds! :rofl:
Again I’m trying to avoid to get dragged into a like for like comparison between the S1 and the 552. They are ultimately different products at somewhat different price points. Sorry, don’t really know if this answers your question? ATB Peter

3 Likes

Well said Peter.
Enjoy and share with us later on your experience with the new “toy”

1 Like

Will do and thank you :+1:t3: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Somewhat? :eyes:

Three times the price, I think they are! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

= 282>552>S1 . The classic law of diminishing returns! :thinking: ATB Peter

2 Likes

I had tried to work out what would be in the same ratio and thought it was a 282, but wasn’t sure. You are quite right that comparing a 282 v 552 wouldn’t make a lot of sense

Yep Tim, the 282/Hicap will be the right comparison price-wise.
Congratulations Peter, what a lovely system.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as diminishing returns when it comes to pleasure :blush:

1 Like

I know what you mean - I really don’t think of diminishing returns, more whether the improvement is worth the extra loot and can I afford it. It always has been so far :blush:

3 Likes

Seems like you have a system Peter, that will deliver wonderful music for years to come.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Thank you Don :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Three brilliant pre-amps at their respective price points. I’ll always remember my 282/SC most fondly, even if it is outclassed by my 552DR.

Hi Mike.
…and maybe that is what our crazy journey is all about. I’ll never forget my 52/Supercap with 4x135s driving my SBLs active. Yep, it was an ‘edge of the seat’-experience, but did the music have presence and drive!!
Strangely the S1 has brought my fond memories back of above system in the mid to late nineties. Equally the S1 allows that visceral presence of the music now in my room just a little less ‘hair shirt’. Ahh the old memory lane, eh!? :relieved: ATB Peter

5 Likes

Still waiting for my invite once this covid is all over, i will even bring a good brandy with me, what you say peter?
Plus the rossini

My take on the 282 vs 552 comparison is that there was music I liked the sound of through the 282 system. For a while as I got the 552 and it’s infrastructure sorted I preferred the 282 for some music. Now I just enjoy the music. The 552/500 sound is much richer bringing out everything (most of what) the recording offers. The infrastructure has to be spot on though. I can believe that the S1 pre can do the same.

Phil

Hi Filipe, as always stated here the 552/500 is a magic combo. I am unsure what you mean by infrastructure though?
By all accounts I’m running the S1 in as we speak. Yesterday was a somewhat bright mood day and today my wife is working from home hence only run-in and no listening. ATB Peter

The mains, the racking/acoustic isolation, the cabling, and even the room treatment.

Phil

1 Like