The S1 pre shining bright

It funny what pre amps do, really they should do nothing, as if they do then that wrong yes.
Well, when my 552 was away being looked over by naim, i ran my rossini direct into the 500dr, yes it wasnt 100% optimized at the time, as it was only temporary, but without the 552, it lost part off its weight, i didnt feel the top end changed or lost any detail, as time went on it got more and more appealing, and started to think do i even need a pre amp, well yes as i have a turntable as well.
But having the 552 back, i did like it better, its not massively different, and i could live with out it if i had too, but i dont know if its the 500 that needs it, or i need it. Or that naim make it so they need each other, what ever it is, i like what it does.
But for me if i only had one source, i would look at it all very seriously i think, as for certain i dont think a S1 will ever be in my system, unless they fall massively in price. So right now the 552dr is as good as it gets for me, and as long as i keep the 500, then i cant see me changing the 552, as its both or none.

Anyway get running that tower in, we just need the upgrade from pmc now peter

Thank you Dunc, please if released at some point will you deal with my wife?!? BOOM :bomb::face_with_head_bandage: ATB Peter

1 Like

This one should be easy, as it looks the same, however hopefully it might sound different and that could be the problem.
After the S1, it should be a drop in the ocean in comparison on price

Yeah, I can assure you that questions would be asked once the big cardboard boxes re enter the house. I will guarantee you that PMC will be receiving 3 boxes :coffin: :pleading_face: Peter

I guess they need to release it first then we can both worry about how to do it

I am so intrigued by the question of what the perfect pre-amp should sound like…personally, I think that it should not have a sound, it should serve solely as a source selector and volume control. I have thought that I have achieved this…but, of course, I will never know.
Emily Barker: A Dark Murmuration of Words, digital, at this moment

Are PMC releasing the current signature upgrade to the previous models of Fact 12 etc? Talking to my dealer the current model is not selling too well, not enough finishes for customer tastes.

Hi Gazza.
It is a peculiar thing to see how PMC is missing a trick with their lack of wood veneer finishes on the new Fact 12s. They can produce lush walnut veneer say on their other ranges but not Facts, really?! :thinking: ATB Peter

1 Like

Apparently they had to switch the new cabinet supply to Italy and this is all they could do…i would be sitting listening to them now, if they had a real wood veneer.

You wouldn’t entertain second hand Gazza?

I am biding my time doing tweaks, would preferably wait until we move house. But if the current Fact 12 looked good i probably would have jumped. So will wait and see, if we can move in the next couple of years etc

1 Like

The S1 is a thing of beauty. Many congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience of it with us all

2 Likes

I have Dynaudio Focus XD 30 in a walnut, highly polished/lacquered veneer. They look sensational. They are in my garden room. They are the first speakers in, say, 30 years that my wife has not had a beef about apart from a pair of Kans years ago (I have had Isobariks, Titan 808 etc). Plus there are no wires except the power cables and they integrate with Qobuz, the TV and an Apple box. It’s a mystery why high quality loudspeaker manufacturers don’t try harder to make them attractive - Sonus Faber being a notable exception

4 Likes

After now 100+ hours of signal at various volume levels having been fed through the S1 in my attentive care, oh yes a corner has indeed been turned today joined by JLH.
Due to my wife’s work from home the last 48 hours, I haven’t actually listened to my music, and in stead it’s been doing its thing behind a closed door. The improvement just now is plain silly good!
It has opened up further and if possible got even cleaner and the musical insight is quite frankly beyond what I could have hoped for!
The musical RYTHM simply ROCKS :partying_face: and if anything also it is amazing how the 500 DR is keeping up :clap:t2: …and there is more to come, really??

ATB Peter

12 Likes

I like both the volume button and the guitar player! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thats wonderful, i now have this niggling feeling that walk by listening at Signals was not doing it justice…Grrrrrrr.

Hi Gazza,
The S1 must actually be difficult to do a meaningful dem on. Although my S1 has had 3-4 months of being fired up and as stated by Alistair ’some’ music played through it, it is amazing to hear what another 100+ hours has now achieved. I believe ’ keeping faith’ is of the essence with it. My system has literally ‘disappeared’!! :man_dancing:ATB Peter

4 Likes

I have deliberately kept quiet about taking delivery of the Signals ex-dem S1 this summer, as it seemed to me that I was extraordinarily lucky to be able to afford such a piece of kit and it was somewhat cruel to others to go on about how wonderful it is…

But , it seems its a well travelled path and I can only endorse the comments of others on here. The S1 is surely one of the very finest pieces of design and performance that Naim have ever produced.

My musical tastes are heavily skewed towards opera, 19th/29th Century symphonic music, “modern” jazz ( ie bebop and after) and R&B plus some 60s/70s rock and pop. The S1 takes everything to a new level.

Combine that with the recent addition of a pair of Kudos 808’s to replace my Kudos 88s and lockdown has never been so enjoyable. Even the somewhat compressed sound from the daily “Live from the Met” (not so true for their performances since c. 2010, which are wonderful and show just how much recording technology keeps improving), are on a different level with the S1/500DR/808s combo.

Thanks Alasdair and Andy for keeping reminding me just how good these items are. The trouble is, following your listening advice is quite an expensive habit!

As somebody who sat in an opera house/concert hall quite regularly until this March, this set-up gives the live performance a serious run for their money. Human voice (which IMO is notoriously difficult to reproduce) is effortless and just sublime. Piano shows all the subtlety of a live instrument. Breathtaking stuff.

If you can listen to them do so, if only just to marvel at what Naim have produced.

Geoff

19 Likes

Happy you made the jump…but beautifully cruel😬

Great post Geoff and thoroughly pleased, that you are enjoying yours in equal measure. After in my case 33 years of the old Naim treadmill upgrade-path, I can only concur that this has also in my case been the biggest one off jump financially. From what I’m hearing today thankfully I can say it has been justified.
The S1 is a world class product as you state proving to work extremely well within the confines of a 500 system.
Very excited me today :partying_face: ATB Peter

1 Like