The Soundtrack Thread

A fairly decent list, all things considered. But…

• Star Wars only at Number 7?
  • Pirates of the Caribbean’s sequels listed separately to the main film, yet Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi not included at all?

Gosh.

Mark

2 Likes

There are some great soundtracks around, but they are not always praised as they should be, at least in my opinion. However music is, of course, very subjective indeed.

I think some soundtracks deserve more than their position in that list (eg. The Dark Knight, Skyfall, Inception). Also many great soundtracks weren’t mentioned at all.

1 Like

Indeed. There has been an astonishing amount of snobbery around film music for decades that has only just begun to lessen in the last few years as musicologists have turned to the music of many film composers and started to uncover just how layered, nuanced and artful much of it is.

Of course, like anything produced ‘to order’ with a tight deadline, there’s a lot of substandard stuff out there, but there are some absolute jewels too.

If you want some more recent examples of the sort of snobbery I’m talking about, do google some of Norman Lebrecht’s writings about John Williams in particular. I suppose there must be people out there who agree with Lebrecht, but I don’t know any better examples of wrong-minded and misdirected snootiness about music of any kind. It’s so dreadful, I actually find it amusing.

Mark

3 Likes

I agree, there has been a lot of snobbery unluckily and I do wonder why, as soundtracks seem to be a natural evolution of classical music. Indeed John Williams has composed both soundtracks and classical music. The same goes with Max Richter, if you know some of his works.

To be brutally honest, they can say whatever they like, soundtracks often have a noble heritage and deserve consideration, at least for me. I mostly listen to soundtracks and I thoroughly appreciate their nouances. I’m glad that I’m not the only one to think that way.

I agree, there are many conventional soundtracks out there, but there are many great ones too.

2 Likes

Lalo Schifrin - Cool Hand Luke

1 Like
1 Like

Magnolia. Good soundtrack, great film. I seem to find another connection between the characters every time I watch it. I think it could well be the best performance I’ve seen from Tom Cruise.

On the downside it isn’t a film that leaves me feeling happier after I’ve watched it. Still, you can’t have everything.

3 Likes

What about Alan Silvestri?

I think nobody mentioned his soundtracks so far. What lies beneath sounds pretty interesting to me.

2 Likes

Yes, he has done some great work. Not heard this, added to my current playlist.

1 Like

Hi, long time erratic reader of this forum (old and new), short time member, first time posting!

Folks have already posted many of my favourite soundtracks, but also provided a large number of other recommendations which inspires further enjoyable exploration - thank you.

Here’s a couple of soundtracks that I’ve enjoyed:

Schindler’s List - simply awesome, both film and soundtrack.

The Bourne Supremacy - love this, some tracks to sooth the soul and others to really get the blood pumping.

The Piano - this film drew attention to New Zealand years before a series of little films about Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Rings blockbustered their way to international acclaim. ‘The Piano’ was released during the 6 months I spent camping, tramping and driving around New Zealand - a fantabulous experience.

Moving on from original film scores to ‘music from’:

Good Will Hunting - excellent film and an excellent collection of songs to gently chill-out to.

Chef - a feel good compilation of songs from start to finish, never fails to raise my spirits.

Cheers!,
Tony

6 Likes

Hi @Togs101 welcome to the community,
An excellent list of soundtrack choices, and a super cool avatar you have created to identify yourself with! Looking forward to reading more from you.

3 Likes

I almost forgot this one, it’s quite engaging!

1 Like

One of my fave Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals.

4 Likes

How about some Studio Ghibli soundtracks:

When Marnie Was There

Princess Mononoke
Princess Mononoke

Kurenai No Buta / Porco Rosso

Howl’s Moving Castle
Howls Moving Castle

Laputa Castle in the Sky
Laputa Castle in the Sky

Arrietty

Totoro
Totoro

2 Likes

First Man. Fantastic from start to finish.
Listen to “The Landing” first. Loud…

4 Likes

Apollo 13. Brings me back in time and in awe of the space race era. Track 13 - master alarm - made my dog jump out of his bed.

5 Likes

When I got all my LPs downstairs , this was one of the first I played

6 Likes

What a great film! And a (sort of) Wagner’s greatest hits as soundtrack!

1 Like

I always think there are 2 or 3 great hours of music in the Ring Cycle, shame it goes on for fourteen hours

As for the last production that showed on Sky Arts :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1:

1 Like

Having sat through ENO’s Ring Cycle staged over the year in 2004 I would agree with you. And don’t get me started on T&I - 5 hours to resolve a chord is far too long ( although I did see it with Nina Stemme at Glyndebourne which was brilliant)

1 Like