The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

2999 Lady of Legend visiting the NVR this weekend.

10 Likes

Walked to Swanage station this morning having heard a whistle. Saw this locomotive, and while my wife was looking they invited her up on to the footplate. I was amazed that she was able to get up there, and back down again.

8 Likes

Yes indeed, its Battle of Britain class 34070 Manston.
Built in 1947 it ran on BR until 1964. It was purchased by the Manston Locomotive Preservation Society, which subsequently merged with Southern Locomotives Ltd.
Entered service on Swanage Railway in 2008, withdrawn for overhaul in 2017 and returned to Swanage in 2021.

One of my pics of it in 2012

10 Likes

It’s lot cleaner and with a nicer paint job than it was today. Lovely and warm on the footplate with the weather today.

2 Likes

And @Mike-B - what a lovely thing. Seems strange to say that about a piece of industrial design but it is very gentle on the eye and the main components/details look to have a purpose behind them that seems clear as you look at it.

1 Like

I love a Bulleid wheel!

2 Likes

So did my old man, mainly in Germany.

Nah, much better in an “in service” condition rather than a museum spec. Much more lifelike. (And I say that as confirmed diesel fan, not a ‘kettle’ enthusiast.)

steve

2 Likes

Not sure about the vintage of the machines, however Peterborough Panthers have been racing since 1970.

Unfortunately their track is on the East of England Showground which has been sold for ‘development’.

Last Thursday was their final race meet, fittingly enough against old rivals, Kings Lynn.

Imgur

3 Likes

Last man across the line.

Imgur

3 Likes

The Flying Scotsman trip to Edinburgh had the return journey hauled by a heritage diesel. Possibly a Deltic but not sure.

1 Like

Growing up, we lived a few miles from Rayleigh Weir stadium in Essex and so a couple of times a week would hear the drone of the ‘Rayleigh Rockets’ speedway team. I’d forgotten all about them and about speedway but a school friend was a fan of Ivan Mauger, loved speedway and was absolutely crestfallen when the stadium was sold to developers and the team moved away to become the Rye House Rockets in Hertfordshire. Some 50 years ago now. Amazing what a picture can trigger. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

I’m probably cheating here. The subject of the picture is not the vintage-ish tractor in the centre of the picture but the vintage mode of transport casting the shadow and under which I’m suspended!

4 Likes

When I was a child in the 70’s we went through a period of going to see The White City Rebels on a Wednesday night for a year or two.

Funnily enough they’d moved from Oxford after the track was closed following a land sell off. They gave up after three seasons through poor crowd numbers.

The sounds and smells stayed with me.

1 Like

Me neither. Taunus was the German version of the Mk3 Cortina but this looks a little like a German Thames van.

2 Likes

55bhp, 1.5 litre. Crikey, wouldn’t want to take that into the Alps.

2 Likes

Not heard of it but the ‘net tells me

THE ORIGINAL TRANSIT

The Taunus Transit was the predecessor of the more familiar Ford Transit we are used to seeing, and the first production Ford to wear the Transit badge.

Introduced in 1953, the Taunus Transit was originally designated as the FK commercial model and was built at Ford plant in Köln, Germany.

And a pic

5 Likes

Eddystone
Marston
Walked by the station earlier and it was quite busy. Another Bulleid Locomotive in the siding. Nice to be able walk after the weather yesterday.

8 Likes

Its not ‘another’ Bullied, its the same 34070 ‘Manston’ as your previous post.

1 Like

Mike, I think he’s referring to the top two pictures - 34028 “Eddystone” West Country Class.