The Year 2020

Wrong I’m afraid, it’s an excellent example of how people are selective with what they want to believe. Still people deny something is happening because they don’t know what it is, but knowledgeable scientists are trying hard to alert everybody. Unfortunately, there is huge problem affecting our friends in Australia: something needs to be done, but I fear it may already be too late.

Ignoring things won’t make them go away
Acting now is really the only way.

2 Likes

Unfortunately wildfires in SW Australia are nothing new.

:small_blue_diamond:Here you,.and many of us have different opinions,we don’t believe,.we use our ears and senses.

But as far as Australia is concerned,.we are totally in agreement.
What’s going on there is terrible.

But now,.back to the subject.

/Peder🙂

Which is the year 2020. :wink:

1 Like

True, we are a land of fire and rain (not so much of that these days though) the problem is (1) we have government that have their collective heads in the sand and (2) they were warned 10 months ago about the potential disaster and did nothing.

1 Like

Yes, yer man doesn’t seem very popular!

1 Like

On topic, Middle East ‘tensions’ have arisen early in the year. Plus ca change, as they say in Surrey.

Which we know are fallible.

1 Like

Maybe we need to get the Pope to do the listening…

1 Like

He would prefer Sarum cables and Credo loudspeakers

No politics here please. Thank you.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:O My God :roll_eyes:,.then it’s just as well that we stop listening to music,or how.
If we need measurement results to tell us what we hear.
You live in your reality,.and we in our.

It’s like those who are good at wine.
Most people can judge whether a wine tastes good or not.
But with a lot of exercise and training,.some can even tell you which grape the wine is made of,etc,etc,etc.

We belong to this latter category,.are knowledgeable and experienced,with incredibly great practical experience of installations and tests.

As I said,.different experiences and realities.

:small_orange_diamond:But can we now show respect for the topic of the thread,.please.!

/Peder🙂

I take it that you are unaware of the wine-tasting tests which were double blind, and others where the wines were misleadingly labelled, where the expert wine tasters got it totally wrong.
Do you seriously think that our ears and senses are excellent and accurate measuring devices? Do you deny that they are fallible? I can, if you like, point you to many demonstrations where you can see for yourself that we are easily fooled.
how about this:

or this:

or

There are lots of others. Our senses are easily fooled, particularly by ourselves. This is very well known.
I think you are over-reacting, though. Why should we stop listening to music? The whole function of the hifi system is to fool us into hearing singers and musical instruments that are not there.
1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:I have responded to this so many times,.so do a search among my posts.
This thread should, as I said,.be about 2020.

:small_orange_diamond:So,.can we now show respect for the topic of the thread,.please.!

:black_small_square:And as usual “Likes” TiberioMagadino posts that only refer to Technical Specifications,.he always does that :wink::grin:.

/Peder🙂

The Ear 2020…
Or 2020, the year of the Ear.

• Our ears (with brain) can tell us, absolutely, if we like the sound we hear.
  • They may be able to tell us if we prefer one sound to another - ‘may’ because it is possible to be split between them, prefering one in some way and the other in a different way, in which event it is likely that longer listening will find the one with which we are most comfortable.
  • Our ears are not absolute constants, our hearing varying with time, sometimes very short term, sometimes longer term, sometimes better, sometimes worse, so with our ears we have no reliable means of comparing the sound today witth the sound last week. Whether that also affects our preference between two sounds today and the same two sounds last week, I don’t know: It may well do, for example if one sound has exaggerated high frequencies, and if on one occasion our hearing dulls the hf and another not, we might prefer the normal one when our ears are not dulled, and the bright one when our hearing is dulled. And even the infamous Tune-Dem method could be caught by this because that dulling or not may affect our ability to follow the tune of all the instruments. This is most likely to be the case when differences between sounds are small.

So as a new year resolution for 2020 believe your ears - but don’t!

Meanwhile back to the OP, from the science fiction of decades ago, I had expected by now that we would simply plug ourselves in to experience music, more exquisitely and accurately than any system can ever be expected to reproduce in a room!

Sorry, I was responding to something you said in this thread. But I start to understand the rule now. You can post off-topic, but then close that bit down by telling others to keep to the topic. It seems to be a bit of a pattern.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:And I was responding to TiberioMagadino,.who started this thread drift.

I say the same to you and TiberioMagadino…

:black_small_square:Start your own thread,.if you find this interesting.

/Peder🙂

:small_blue_diamond:As I said,.start your own thread,if you find this interesting.

I see that @Beachcomber has only started three threads,.and @TiberioMagadino one thread on this forum.
This despite an incredible number of posts.

Perhaps time for any of you to start a thread on this topic,.if it “lies close to your heart” as we say in Sweden.
So that this thread can continue to be about 2020.

/Peder🙂

Maybe this threads OP @Guinnless has something to say about it.
Other than that, Richard is the forum moderator.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Let’s all try to show respect for the OP.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face: