Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

I think the soak-away is about to get it’s very own colonoscopy , but it won’t be getting a cup of tea and a cheese sandwich afterwards

2 Likes

Hi Eoin, that’s the thing with gradually operating issues, you don’t notice until it’s too late and the doctor is asking all sorts of odd questions .

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

After many, many, many months of Mrs Willy’s implorement, I finally got around to installing a handrail for the steps outside her workshop.

At the weekend I’d installed the wall bracket (couldn’t risk expanding fixings so close to an edge so got to play with epoxy anchoring). Then yesterday assembled the metalwork. It had been pre-cut to my dimensions but due to the discovery of some drains below ground level had to be tweaked. Then today mixed, poured and tamped the concrete for the uprights.

Now to be fair to myself much of the delay was that I tried (oh did I ever try) to get someone else to come and do this for me but after much fobbing off I finally accepted that it would only happen if I did it myself.

Willy.

8 Likes

I went into the kitchen to make a coffee and saw this beautiful thrush on one of our garden chairs. They are such lovely birds, and sadly less common these days. It was all puffed up to protect itself from the cold. I had just enough time to take the photo before it spotted me through the window and flew off.

11 Likes

Mrs.G. and I took the Santa Cruz’s out for their first ride of the year. A very pleasant 17°C with a gentle breeze. I need to fine tune the indexing but otherwise there’s no problems with the bikes.

7 Likes

Akin to @james_n 's experience (see thread below), DVLA have just informed me that my DL has expired, which it has (12/23) – but this is the first I’ve heard of it! No letter rec’d from DVLA c.8 weeks in advance! Hmmmmm…

A trip to a major local PO beckons early doors tomorrow.

UK photo card licence expiry - Lounge - Naim Audio - Community

3 Likes

I’ve fixed my calendar for the next month or so - total body scan with radio on Jan 30, second session of pelvic floor exercises on Feb 2, oncologic visit on Feb 5 and a meeting with the chief of the team that operated me soon after that, meeting the guys @ radiotherapy on Feb 9 to finally plan the treatment. Who said that retirement is boring?
:slight_smile:

11 Likes

The saving grace is that if the PO does the identity thing (they take your photo and you sign electronically) then it all gets sent off electronically by them and they give you a receipt which legally means you can continue to drive while your licence is being renewed. Also the renewal is fast so you should have the new licence by post within a week.

2 Likes

Thanks – and that’s the plan for early tomorrow. It’s also affecting my adventures with HMRC and trying to unlock my SA for TY’23, as they run an on-line DL check as ID – guess what, the system requires an unexpired licence!!

Lordy, life is difficult nowadays … :slight_smile:

1 Like

All fingers crossed - best wishes

Ian

:crossed_fingers:!
Thanks!

1 Like

Is this coz you’ve reached the big “seven zero”?

I’ve always done it online using the passport. Pretty quick.

Phil

1 Like

Ahem – I’m part of the youth team policy around here :grin:

Just the 10Y renewal I’m afraid.

Best of luck👍

1 Like

Is that 10Y for photo licences? I still have a green paper licence, but that will run out next June……when I do indeed hit the big “seven oh”!

1 Like

Yes it’s 10 years for photo licences. If you can contrive to renew your drivers licence and your passport at the same time, especially if you are approaching 70, it makes the subsequent renewal process trivial.

1 Like

Got another two years on my passport.

A quick look on the DVLA website says that I can kick it off 90 days before my 70th b’day, so I’ll get a photo done sometime. Sue had one done a couple of years ago, and she says the photog can upload it directly and give me a reference number, which will do for DL & passport.

Ain’t technology wunnerful!

2 Likes

I’ve been selling some items on eBay.

Updating it today, I noticed that I’ve got 17 followers.

Is this the digital equivalent of stalking?

DG…

1 Like

Surely watchers, not followers.