Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

You beat me to it! It’s quieter now that Festival fever has abated.

G

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of motorcycle touring across Europe in the last 20 years. Last year I went (from Caen) to visit friends in Valencia and from there to Dusseldorf and on to Chisinau. I spent about 5 weeks covering around 6000 miles.

Apart from the formula 1 trucks heading back to the UK (I think there had been a race somewhere) there were hardly any British lorries on the roads. I saw a fair few British cars and motorcycles but since this was pre-summer holidays I think I was before the majority of travellers. In the past there were a lot of British lorries.

I can guess why there were less lorries on the road but my experience (to date) is that recent changes haven’t made a great deal of difference to me once I’m within the EU/Schengen area; it does make some external borders (e.g. Serbia/Hungary) slower though. We live and we learn…

Edinburgh springs to mind as being well worth a visit , enough history and culture to match virtually any city in the world.

1 Like

Just bought a railcard to get discount on rail tickets. Then booked a train ticket and forgot to use the railcard! What a plonker!:frowning:

4 Likes

Norfolk / Suffolk - great walks, lovely towns, coast or inland; wherever you go, enjoy!

2 Likes

Err… Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Alexandria, Vienna, Paris, etc? It’s interesting in a parochial north-west European island sort of way. Does have an air of being more European than English cities. :blush:

I use the Trainline app. You tell it about your railcard and then it always adds it. Also I bought the railcard in the app too, so it’s easy to find as long as you have your phone.

1 Like

Yes, I too have stored the railcard in the Trainline app. But I bought the ticket through the GWR app to save the booking fee, which is probably about 15p :joy:

2 Likes

I have so many things controlled by my phone, including lots of 2FA things, that I am anxious if it isn’t to hand. Nomophobia my wife calls it.

Anyway an Apple notification told me that my battery was beyond its useful life (81% capacity but also it was behaving oddly with the phone switching into low power mode unexpectedly) and said I should get it replaced. The cost was £85. Yesterday I went to a local approved Apple service agent and very reluctantly handed my phone over to them, on the promise that they would have it ready to give me back within two to three hours.

It was quite interesting as they ran several Apple programs to check that everything else was working properly before they put it into the battery service process. They insisted on me disabling the Find My function, which I wasn’t happy about but in the end I gave in. They gave me my SIM to take away and said they had no need to know any lock code or passwords. I had to pay before they did the work.

Anyway just over an hour later I had an email to say that the phone was ready. It was nice to see that the battery shows 100% capacity now! It certainly has a lot more life than before. I’m glad I did this anyway.

2 Likes

Trainline does charge a booking fee as you say, but they also look for cheap fair combinations, like two singles or a single and a very cheap return which is less than a single, or a split fare which involves a station en route but you don’t actually get off the train there.
Comparing with the SW Railway app, I can often save as much as 10% by using the Trainline app.

I so rarely travel by train that I’m not aware of these money saving ideas. But I now have a three year card, so I must make the effort to go places and actually use it.

I joined the NAIM community after 2 hours of chilling with unity nova and kanta #3.

11 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am accumulating an itch to go, hopefully something will win over my laziness…

1 Like

@Ian2001 is correct. That’s why it’s known as the Athens of the North.

Any idea where that misnomer came from? :yum:

G

1 Like

Probably some overawed English numpty. :wink:

I speak as someone who lives in, ahem, the Venice of America.

@bhoyo out for a Muscle Beach stroll in Venice:

Doh…he lives in Florida, FLA not LA.

5 Likes

Reminds me of a photo of my dad.

You wouldn’t think he later played rugby league for Salford would you?

4 Likes

A suggestion for @MaxBertola: it might be worth visiting Brighton if you want to experience a vibrant night life; York is also worth a few days for its cultural heritage.

Phil

1 Like