Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

In France walking the backways and byways of rural Normandy and decided I needed a lightweight pair of walking trousers.

Nipped into Decathlon at Caen and picked up a nice pair and as it always happens bought another pair a cap and one of those cravet things to go around your neck.

Got to the check out and it all looked a bit weird. So when in Rome just watch what everyone else is doing - throwing all the items into a box. Then by magic on the screen appears each item the cost and total! How did that happen all the clothes were in a random bundle.

Turns out they are tagged with a RFID - amazing they probably know my movements in France.

You’ll probably say oh that has been around for a long time but it’s a new one on me.

6 Likes

Uniqlo in the west end of London has the very same system. I have to say I was equally perplexed a couple of weeks ago when I first used it!

1 Like

Yesterday I had a wander around the RAF museum in Hendon. I haven’t been since the boys were small, but it really is a fantastic collection, completely free to walk in (I did make a donation).

Some photos attached of some of my favourite aeroplanes (in part driven by my Airfix memories):

19 Likes

I love a Lancaster. I hope there’s a Spit to go with that Messerschmitt…

Must visit the museum one day.

4 Likes

Definitely both a spitfire and hurricane. I just didn’t photograph them, there is an awful lot to see…

3 Likes

I grew up on RAF bases. One of them had an old Lancaster (this was in the late 50s-early 60s) off to the side of a runway that we kids were allowed to play on and in.

Wonderful days. We must have re-won the war hundreds of times over!

10 Likes

A few years ago, I went for a walk from my house to a nearby farm and then back, it’s a nice walk , as I am meandering a 109 flies over me .

Also seen an Anson and Spitfires on the same walk as well as the Lancaster flying low .

6 Likes

Red Aurora alert tonight, so heading out to see.

G

Showing a probably unwise belief in Apple’s ability to get their firmware right, I today pre-bought an iPhone 16 Pro that will be delivered to me next Friday, the day it is launched.

4 Likes

Went in the Apple Store in Bath today booked in for next Friday launch day glad it’s not Mr Musk’s rocket !!!

Not sure whether to go with the 6.7inch Plus or 6.3inch Pro?
will decide next week.

1 Like

I went for the 6.3 inch pro. My general life experience is that I usually regret going for the larger size of anything. So instead of spending money on a larger form factor, I bought more memory instead.

1 Like

Amazing , I have very happy memories of RAF Luqa , but most of the time we seemed to be at RAF Wittering , and dad would get posted there again, again and again .

Remember seeing the first Harriers in 1970/71 hanging in mid air the way a brick doesn’t .
(apologies to Douglas Adams )

2 Likes

If you have a 14 or 15 that’s no longer needed, Mrs HH may be interested.

It’s a 12 Pro Nigel, but Gill has already claimed it!

1 Like

I’m fairly sure the Lancaster was at RAF Hullavington. I think our longest posting was Biggin Hill.

Gone to the bank and paid off our mortgage.

Blimey, it feels good!

G

22 Likes

It certainly does. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nice one!

Now, what to do with the money that was the monthly payments….

Oh look…what a coincidence……Ascot HiFi show is next weekend. :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s the last night of our holiday tonight and today I’ve been pottering around Vouvray. It’s a really lovely village, not at all touristy. It seems like I’ve been away for ever and I’d be more than happy to stay here.

Here’s the place where we are staying. Ours is the left hand three sets of French doors on the low part. The owner lives in the rest.

6 Likes

But Flétan Affamé doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

G

1 Like