Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Mentioning not trusting main agents…

I won’t name them but…

Two years ago my wife’s Leaf went in for its annual service. I was charged for windscreen washer fluid. The day before the service I’d topped it up, brimming full as I always do. I objected and they deleted it from the bill. Assumed they just charged regardless (I would have expected a bottle of fluid in the car though!)

This year it went in again, another car, but same garage. Also brimmed full. I was charged, asked to see the manager. He immediately took me to the car and showed me it was full of pink washer fluid. Why would he do this? Clearly it’s a less usual colour. I’d filled it with blue fluid so I guess they emptied it and refilled it. Why?

The manager claimed I was mistaken and it was empty quite aggressively. Clearly because he wanted to show me the colour before any discussion with either me or his workshop something was wrong.

I could have accepted it if they stated their policy was to use ‘a recommended fluid in the system’ but frankly to just lie and claim I was mistaken. Well…

It’s a pain because it’s a nice close garage and I obviously won’t use them again (have bought a car from them too). I honestly despair about the ‘tricks’. I’d use my helpful, trustworthy, local general purpose garage but the Leaf’s pretty new and I want to maintain an approved service record in case of battery issues. Oh well.

People!

4 Likes

And why not……my daughters are into the latest. My wife gets the second hand phone, i get the 3rd hand one. It helps all of us in the family, and we make sure they are above trade in rates.

2 Likes

Today we were in Angoulême taking in the delights of the Circuit des Ramparts festival…

5 Likes

…and a magnificent Citroen ds21

9 Likes

I spent most of the afternoon today at the local hifi show. The best sounding system for me was

Pathos / Agua / Rosso Fiorentino

This was a nice simple system

Linn / ATC

… also some R2R original master tapes were played (the most interesting setup)

… and finally Naim + Focal was there too (but was not so impressing)

Nova PE / Aria EVO X N4

5 Likes

Finished printing the first part of Mrs Willy’s birthday present from our son (he bought the model).

Run time was 4 days, 4 hours and 16 minutes. Now printing the jaw which is a mere 8 hours and 5 minutes.

After removing the support structure and cleaning up a bit.

“Gottle of geer” anyone?

Willy.

4 Likes

There is a heavy Denon input on that, with a Denon TT ( I think) on the Focal with a Nova , not sure the Nova wouldn’t be outclassed by the Denon separates

Nice to see coloured LP12, my ambition is to have one in bright yellow ( and hear the screams of outrage)

2 Likes

The Denon set consisted:

• Denon DP-3000 turntable
  • Denon DNP-2000N streamer
  • Denon PMA-3000NE amplifier
  • B&W 702 speakers

It was a bit too speaker heavy to my liking but I think I still preferred that over Nova PE + Focals (only brief listening to both though).

It should be noted that this was the stand of the local distributor and they represent over fifty brands and Naim is only one them (and not selling much due to very small market).

1 Like

Ah thank you for the clarification , the Denon turntable looks highly desirable

best wishes

Ian

12 hours ago I set off from Sirmione in my fully electric car. Has anyone ever driven in the old town there? You need strong nerves as you are sharing narrow alleys with thousands of tourists and they can’t hear you coming in an electric car!

The journey home, via the Brenner motorway, took around 7 hours pure driving time, that‘s an average of 37 mph. I used to be able to average 40 to 50 mph on narrow Irish backroads.

The charging station in Brenner, which has 18 high-power charging points, was full and four cars were waiting. This is the first time this has happened to me. I am not looking forward to the time when every Tom Rick and Harry has an EV from this perspective.

Fortunately we had another 60 miles range in the car so we continued on to a Tesla charging station in Austria where nearly all of the chargers were available.

Driving in Europe is definitely not what it used to be.

2 Likes

We are driving back from Provence and it’s certainly easier with a petrol car, fill it up and that’s nearly 500 miles of driving. Maybe next time we’ll take the train!

Spent the day at the tank museum at Bovington. Stunning - and one day really doesn’t do it justice. Where else can you see Jagdtiger and Panther tanks, see a flame-throwing Mattilda and get the chance to go inside a WW1 tank? Very good recreation of WW1 trenches too and they even had Monty’s beret and wooly pully on display !

6 Likes

That’s good news, I first thought you were going to relate a horror story!

I had a similar experience recently. I got new rear tyres fitted (Michelin Pilot Super Sports, so not cheap!) and after 2-3 weeks I noticed a bulge in the side wall of one of them. I did anticipate the worst, but my tyre guy concurred with me and he filled a report and sent the tyre back to Michelin.

There was a delay due to the agent messing around, but in the end Michelin gave me a full refund. Well pleased!

1 Like

Do you drive 500 miles without stopping? I used to do that but now I drive 200 miles, stop for a coffee for 20 to 30 minutes and charge the car.

Taking the train in France should be a good experience. It tends not to be a good experience in other countries such as Germany.

1 Like

What happened to trains in Germany. They used to be fine (but it’s been awhile I travelled there).

Years of underinvestment and mismanagement. The bottleneck is the outdated infrastructure.

2 Likes

We stop around every 100 or 150 miles. I was just thinking about avoiding the hassle of recharging. It’s fine if it coincides with a stop, but if all the chargers are occupied and you have a ferry to catch I can see it would be a worry. We’ve taken the TGV from Paris to Avignon and Nice a few times and it’s a great way to travel long distances.

In the process of finishing off repainting the fencing, eventually due to unfavourable weather!
The bulk of the work is done, just this last section to do.

We got a sprayer for the job and totally worth every penny. Yes it can be a bit messing to fill with paint but once you tweak your method it works a treat. So so much quicker and efficient compared to a brush!

I would be happy to do it for you……but the car, drive, fence and hedge and anything in about 20 metres would be……green?
:joy:

5 Likes

Good one Gazza! I was concerned with the gates, as they can’t be moved, are only a few months old and were expensive. But to be safe I covered them with a sheet!

1 Like