Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

We did our gates recently, my wife supervised. We picked up the preservative from the local merchant…….he called it p**s paint……it goes everywhere. It even went through the tarp i had laid down🥺

1 Like

Trained it up to Skipton today ready to start walking the Lady Anne Way Skippy to Penrith tomorrow. 100 miles 6 days walking stopping at Grassington, Buckden, Hawes, Kirby Stephen and Appleby. Weather set fair but been there before.

Limbering up with a few beers by the Leeds Liverpool Canal with a curry later.

11 Likes

Don’t limber unto much and fall over !!!

1 Like

That’s a lovely area, don’t over do it

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Beer and curry this evening, I wouldn’t set off too early.

1 Like

I need to replace my daughter’s iPhone X soon, screen got badly cracked a few months ago when someone knocked it out of her hand accidentally. My iPhone X also needs replacing at some stage but I really like the form factor and wouldn’t want anything much bigger. I’ve never waited so long to upgrade my iPhone before.

There is apparently a new iPhone SE version 4 coming next spring. That may be what you want.

1 Like

I always liked small phones for the pocket, but I went to Pro Max and wouldn’t have anything smaller now. I look at my old iPhone X and not only laugh, but wonder how I used it so much without wanting it bigger.

1 Like

Yes, that would have been ideal. I was hoping they’d release it sooner as my daughter at least needs one imminently as there is are defects in the display and I was holding out for the September releases. Fortunately phone still works as the main defect just covers an icon bottom left and touch still works to launch it.

Back in 2014 I bought both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - the 6 was my day to day iPhone but I got the plus out of curiosity for the new optically stabilised lens/better camera specs. It was good for photo/video use and probably the first iPhone I was happy enough with to use on family holidays/kids birthday parties without lugging around the old Canon DSLR (though naturally that would have been superior but far less convenient).

Trouble was, apart from photo/video duties I just found it too big to use day to day. 6.22” length according to the specs rather than screen size. The 6 was 5.44” length - it’s really quite surprising how such a small difference in size translates to physically with the increased width as well.

I have rather small paws.

I’ll take a look at the new standard and larger models later this week. Maybe the better specs on the larger ones will sway me.

If she takes it to a phone repair shop, she will probably find it costs only say £100 to put a new screen in, depending exactly what’s damaged.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d wondered about that but battery life is also waning which would add to cost - it’s something I may still do as it’s still an excellent phone. I also can’t believe mine is almost 7 years old!

The biggest reason we both probably need to update is that it’s stuck on iOS 16 and there are likely security implication unless Apple has quietly patched a few things with recent updates - just noticed on mine that there’s an iOS 16.7.10 update - still on 16.7.8 as I needed to free up space to update to 16.7.9 and didn’t!

A new battery would be another £50 or so, if they already have it open to change a screen. But if it’s that old, it probably would be worth looking at buying her something more modern, but not too modern. Like an iPhone 13 for instance.

1 Like

It’s the wrong time to buy but even the SE 3 might be an option as it’s still a current model and won’t be replaced for 6 months or so.

Did you watch the new product ‘keynote’ last week.

Thought it was pretty impressive that the new AirPods Pro can perform a hearing test and then act as a clinically validated/approved hearing aid for listening to Music/watching video or day to day hearing. It will be fascinating to see how well this will work. While unlikely to be as good as professional aids it might offer a convenient boost to those with milder hearing loss.

I have an IPhone 7 which I use as an audiobook player on long solo drives as it fits in the armrest connector on my MINI which doesn’t take my IPhone 13. This week it upgraded itself to 15.8.3 which I assume had a security patch.

1 Like

My wife has one of those. It’s kind of ok but the camera is awful and the display isn’t great.

1 Like

Over The Counter (OTC) hearing aids is a new market segment, particularly in the US. But while it may well have a role for reluctant people with mild losses to discover what some frequency-selective amplification can do for them, it’s a whole different ball game for anyone with a moderate or serious loss.

Apart from the fact that Apple AirPods are not in any way discreet, they will be completely inadequate for anything other than mild losses. For example, if you have a 40 dB loss and you try to amplify everything by 40 dB, you will probably damage your cochleas more and flatten the batteries in no time as well. Hearing loss is truly complicated and generally speaking, not correctable in the same way as eye sight often can be.

1 Like

Yes, it’s far from simple but I still think it’s an interesting development for an initial iteration simply because of the processing power in the modern devices (phones and earbuds).

I thought the spatial effects the Airpods Pro have were a complete gimmick but it’s actually quite impressive to experience moving your head and the audio adjusting as though it’s coming from a fixed point.

There may be some already, I don’t know, but I could imagine integrations with professional hearing aid manufacturers potentially in the future.

I’ve still got every iPhone I’ve ever bought which is quite a few!

I’m useless at trading things in when I upgrade.

It’s interesting to see how much nicer the interfaces were on some of the older phones - simpler but more intuitive.

A number of them I’ve kept as there are controller apps for a few things which are no longer made and the apps have not been updated, or won’t run on new phones.

1 Like