Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

I was surprised to see the announcement because I share your views on sticking a full frequency amplifier in my ears (external full frequency amplifiers at gigs are probably part of the reason I now wear hearing aids).
As far as I could see from some reading the new AirPod feature is more sophisticated, you go and get a hearing test done, upload the output to the Health app and it is used to tailor the frequencies, so it does operate as a configured hearing aid, without the audiologist helping to tailor the profiles. (Assuming the articles I read are accurate.)
On the discretion bit, I have thought they’re fine, given the prevalence of AirPods I wonder why a hearing aid company hasn’t made lookaIike in-ears, which wouldn’t be seen as aids.(Possibly a copyright/passing off issue.)

1 Like

The hearing test is conducted on the iPhone using the Airpods Pro to generate the ‘audiometry signal’, and as you say is then stored in the Health app as a record of changes over time, and it can generate profiles to apply to the Airpod output - simplistic perhaps but I’d imagine this will evolve with time. The question I guess is how accurate and reproducible this test is, but if it is actually certified I’d imagine it would have to meet specific criteria in different countries not to be dismissed as a toy/gimmick.

I have a dB meter app on the iPhone which added a hearing test feature some time go, tried it once and it said things were ok, but I suspect it’s not entirely accurate as I often struggle with conversations in restaurants/pubs or large halls with many people talking.

Another reason I think it’s wrong is that I’ve tried the meter when Mrs AC is snoring at night and it doesn’t call it loud - I beg to differ! :rofl:

Also, I had the same thought about the Airpods not being that discrete to wear in the sense it wouldn’t be obvious to others. As our lugholes are all shaped differently the fit and comfort of airbuds of any kind may be a limiting factor as well as difficulty getting a consistent insertion position.

Ordered a Trek MTB :grinning:

2 Likes

I need to get out on my ancient Kona.

It really is ancient, a 1996 Muni Mula:

2 Likes

Just at this moment traversing the Stonehenge Cursus. Always a pleasure to be on this ancient route, presumably ceremonial. Precedes Stonehenge at circa 5500 years old.

Conditions out there today are just great !

Then up The Avenue to:

9 Likes

Kayaked with Mrs W from Torridon to Shieldaig. And back. 6 hrs with coffee and cake in Shieldaig and then a lunch stop on a deserted beach. Paradise.

Ridiculously good weather, and set fair for a few more days too.

Bruce

21 Likes

That looks really wonderful. Is that the kayak you made yourself?

No, we are both in our fancy carbon kevlar ones from Valley Kayaks.

I do use my wooden one at times though. It lacks a skeg so not ideal if it is windy or choppy on the sea.

Bruce

Fantastic!!

Currently cat-sitting in London, so today I toddled off to Covent Garden and the London Transport Museum. Spent a pleasant couple of hours there & bought a couple of Moquette socks (if you’ve been watching the Secrets of the London Underground TV series, you’ll know what I mean!).

Then went to have a look at Battersea Power Station. A bl**dy big building full of expensive shops, but was unable to find any pink flying pigs. Nipped into the Lego store to have a look at the Countach kit - I think that’s going to be my cough “compensation” for wife & daughter’s forthcoming jaunt to New York!

Got back in good time to feed Artemis & Nyx.

5 Likes

Beautiful bike. I still miss my old Kona Explosif (stolen) and my now-gone Kula, even though I now have a vintage Pace.

1 Like

Heard from Pete as he continues with the stem cell treatment , hope this is useful

Best wishes to everybody

20 Likes

Kick some butt, Pete - you got this!

2 Likes

Yesterday afternoon: I went and had my 65+ Flu Vaccination in the left arm and the Covid - 19 2024 - 2025 Maderna Vaccination in the right. Besides a bit of a soreness in the left arm for awhile no side effects for the past 24 hours.

Life is Sweet!

6 Likes

Same here, but without the flu vaccine though, probably later this year!

1 Like

Dentist brought the chair from horizontal to vertical too quickly.
‘Conked out’ for a couple of seconds. Staff not overly worried.
‘It happens quite often with you old’uns.’
‘Sit still for a few minutes’
‘You alright now?’ ‘Careful on the stairs’ As she opened the door for my hopeful departure.

3 Likes

I hope they let you lie down again after the bill ?

1 Like

Still NHS patient so subsidised cost.

2 Likes

Many thanks for jogging my memory. I’ve now made an appointment for tomorrow for my shots.

1 Like

My dealer (Accent on Music, NY ) fitted a Lyra Etna SL Lambda.
Afterwards lovely dinner! (Veal Piccata)

Lovely Super Moon night.

7 Likes