Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

I’m pleased to report that we now have gas re-instated back to our property.

On Wednesday evening, a mini-digger had a cable strike with a mains electrical cable. This then ruptured the mains water pipe and then ruptured the mains gas pipe, resulting in an explosion and huge fire.

Fortunately, the mini-digger operator had only very minor injuries, but the mini-digger was totally burnt out.

Some homes in the immediate vicinity were evacuated, but no homes were damaged and all the affected residents are now back home.

Consequently, we have had dozens of gas, water, electricity and local council workers around the place fixing this. A local command centre has been set up, where we can get assistance, such as information and support, heaters and cooking plates. Free showers are available at the Leisure Centre in the next town. Roads have been blocked off around the area and diversions in place.

For a while, we had no electricity, no water and no gas. The electricity and water were re-instated fairly quickly. However, the gas was off for over two days, but there are still some properties without gas.

The reason for the gas being off for so long is that the gas network filled up with water which they had to pump out. So far, they have pumped out over 30,000 litres of water.

The communication from the gas company has been excellent. Regular texts, emails and phone calls throughout the day keeping us appraised of the situation. Apparently, I’m classed as a priority customer as being an Insulin Dependent Diabetic, I have a number of drugs in the fridge.

The British Red Cross has also been in the area to assist vulnerable people, where necessary.

DG…

15 Likes

Yesterday I applied online for a new railcard. When I reached 60 I bought a senior railcard, which gives a discount out of peak hours. I tried to get a disabled card, as I have hearing aids, but for various reasons around evidence of the private prescription I didn’t manage to get one. But now I have NHS aids, I have an official form from the hospital, and today the new digital railcard arrived, less than 24 hours after I applied, which is great service.

With a disabled card there are no time restrictions, and I can take a companion for the same discounted price. And it’s only £54 for three years, rather than the £70 for a senior card.

I find it odd being classed as disabled, but if it gets me cheaper rail travel, why not embrace it?

We had such a good holiday in Provence this year, so we’ve decided to return to the area next September but this time near the sea. We’ve booked a cabin on a small campsite in Mandelieu-la-Napoule, 600m from the beach and within walking distance of a train station, so we’ll be able to travel along the coast without taking the car. The trains along the Côte d’Azur are really good and not expensive. It’s pretty amazing that we’ve found a campsite that ticks all the boxes. Now we need to sort out places to stay on the way. Mrs HH is a great holiday organiser, I think she missed her vocation.

1 Like

Just back from Normandy and a smooth journey through the tunnel 40 minutes from check-in to boarding the train.

Both French and UK border controls very efficient but the huge great sheds are in up ready for the biometric checks in November.

Back over again end of October and most of November driving down to Spain through France and nipping over to Portugal.

I might need to monitor my 90 days permitted staying time.

1 Like

Just back from Paris via Eurostar for work. It’s annoying to have to travel from Ashford International (which is not international) to St Pancras, to then go back past Ashford and towards the tunnel, etc.
I can’t say I enjoy Eurostar much now. Both terminals are too crowded, with limited places to sit while you wait, and it takes forever to get out of St Pancras at the end! Plus, the Wi-Fi on the train is non-existent. Everyone was moaning, and the “design” of the carriage windows shields the 4G mobile network! Moan over !
My next work trip will be much more enjoyable. And likely cheaper than Paris (€11/“pint”)

One of the very few perks.

G

Update from the gas company.

Now pumped out over 65000 litres of water (14300 gallons) of water from the gas pipes. Most of the houses have been reconnected, but there are some that have further water damage to their boilers.

DG…

1 Like

Stripped down my Technics SL-1210Mk2 to unstick the seized arm height adjustment mechanism.

Mixing aluminium and brass threads is not a good combination, the grease had gone green and super-sticky so lots of solvent and scrubbing required.

3 Likes

Which reminds me that I need to renew my Old Buqqers railcard, I want to go and see the Van Gogh exhibition for starters.

In the past I have used our Tesco Clubcard points to buy the card. Mainly coz the points are effectively “dead money”, but also in the past they’ve offered “3 for 1”, latterly “2 for 1” which brought the cost of the card down to beer money prices.

I haven’t had one for a couple of years, but when I used it last, I had a paper ticket and digital railcard….and got stuck at the gate at Waterloo. For some reason the two had not connected up, even though I had ordered my tickets online (for collection) using the digital railcard.

The ladies in the family tell me I should stop being a Luddite and go “fully digital” using my iThingy. They are probably right!

1 Like

My daughter’s friend had her latest level iphone stolen in Ibiza. She thought her bank account would be OK as the phone needed facial recognition. Don’t know how but the money was taken in a few hours. I prefer bits of paper, plastic cards etc.

2 Likes

Not a good advert for Apple’s security. I also use facial recognition on my iThingy, and iOS 18 helpfully has a new App called “Passwords” which lists the whole damn lot!

I’m not too keen on that password app, if someone can access your phone they have access to your passwords by default, it should have a second layer of security imo. I dont use it and I now store my passwords in the Notes App which is locked with a separate password. It’s interesting that the facial recognition can be hacked, I wonder how it’s done or maybe there was a very basic password also?

Yes, I’m in two minds about the Passwords app as well.

It does require another go at Facial Recognition (like the banking apps), and TBF the actual passwords are blanked out

In the end, we will all likely get hacked and compromised - it’s more a matter of when, not if. An AI-generated Orwellian/Kafkaesqe nightmare awaits…IMO.

Presumably that is locked and needs a code or facial recognition/fingerprint to open?

Most were probably there in Settings previously.

Is the digger company paying up?

Crikey, sounds awful, sorry to hear that.

Sounds as though the driver was very lucky.

1 Like

I’m assuming so. Hoping that they’ve got sufficient Public Liability Insurance.

DG…

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

I don’t keep banking on my phone. Wallet yes.

If FaceID doesn’t work for unlocking the device, the passcode is used. Ditto to add a FaceID requires the passcode. Apps may not allow FaceID to be bypassed.

I make sure nothing can be done with just one device.

Phil

2 Likes