Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Virgin are awful. Every year or 18 months the same fiasco in agreeing the cost. We no longer have a landline and use Freeview for TV. Is there actually anything extra worth watching on the Mix package? We then pay £29 for 900Mbps down and over 700 up. But if you don’t have full fibre going past the house I suppose there is little choice, but it seems a lot for not very much.

Modern TV is sh!!!t.
Celebriteeeeees nuthin’.

Jeez, such rubbish from such potential.

3 Likes

I quite enjoy the negotiations, I always refuse their initial offers and usually I end up paying less than the previous contract. Presumably the offer they gave me on the website reflects this fact, as it saves them a lot of time and effort for no benefit.

My wife prefers a landline. Her mother who is 95 has an alarm system linked to both landline and mobile.

The channel I watch the most, (apart from BBC) is NHK world, it is available on freeview, but not free. :scream:
I also watch Eurosport, which I don’t think is available on Freeview. Plus, I’d need to buy a recorder.

With regards to the speed. We have full fibre, but 50Mbps is plenty fast enough for our needs. Why do you need 900Mbps, that’s fast enough to download the data stored on a CD in 6 seconds.

We don’t watch Eurosport, so I can see why you’d want Virgin. We were paying £28 for 24Mbps, which goes up by £3 in April. We now get 900 for £29 a month, so who would not choose that? They offer 900 or nothing. For recording, we have a 1TB drive plugged into the back of the TV, which is tiny and hidden away. With a smart TV you don’t need a recording box - unless you want to watch one channel and record another simultaneously. But with catch up that’s far less of an issue now.

I will be doing something similar in the future, freesat box seemed to be my best option, but at the moment my wife would prefer we keep the landline, so not not worth moving away from Virgin.

I do have a smart TV, but it’s 12 years old, so not smart by today’s standards.

This is interesting, suggests many people now vape who never really smoked often to begin with:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(24)00183-X/fulltext

I see loads of school kids now vaping so I’m not surprised at the findings. It looks cool though :thinking::roll_eyes:
It was Players no.6 when I was at school that made you look cool.

At least with glue-sniffing the ingredients are provided. :wink: Users have no idea what’s in vapes.

1 Like

Including my niece, who has never smoked at all. Even she says it’s daft, but she has a stressful career so says it helps her unwind.

Luckily, she wont progress on to tobacco. We hope.

1 Like

I think I’d be quite happy if they brought back ‘dumb’ TVs you could embellish with a ‘set top box’ (odd phrase as they always went under mine) as so many brands now have proprietary interfaces tied to Google or other services I’d rather weren’t snooping on me.

The SmartTVs I think are also extremely confusing for the elderly who are not tech literate and may not even have broadband.

1 Like

I upgraded to a iphone 16 Pro this is my 4th iPhone and to be honest this is the first iPhone thatI think is worthy of it’s high price tag.

just experienced the same herein Canada on DAZN where I watch football. Last year up 33%, and wanted another 25% for renewal. Soon as I hit cancel, the increase dropped to $10 (5%).

1 Like

It arrived this morning. Got the beast though “basic set up” - seems OK, and it’s currently downloading my iTunes library!

My old XS has been factory reset, and my wife will be be using it in place of her Android.

Have an old Sony with full HD , when it’s day comes I will most likely buy a 4K computer monitor and attach it to my Sky Box and Blu Ray

1 Like

Good idea!

That’s nice to hear as I need to replace my iPhone X which is getting on for 7 years old - battery life no longer ideal but still good.

We popped into the Japan Centre in Kensington yesterday after a walk through Hyde Park. They currently have a free exhibition of shokuhin sanpuru in the basement, the extraordinary craft of making food replicas out of spray painted and treated resin for display in restaurant windows. Quite common in Japan and to show consumers what they might be about to order. Some random photos attached, but worth a 30 minute visit if you are in the area. Anyone fancy a burger?

9 Likes

Bloody buggeration!

2 Likes

Ooops! Stay cosy and think ahead to your new set-up.

G

Damn, have some rest and get well soon.

1 Like

Cheers. It’s really annoying and Mrs HH has it too. Oh well.