Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

I had a similar problem, with my left hip.

Brought on mainly by sitting for too long, particularly in my wife’s car which has poor quality seats.

A physiotherapist diagnosed weak muscles around the left hip.
I also told him walking a long distance in one day, left me with a severe limp by the end of the day, but back to normal next morning. He said, the fact it goes back to normal is a good sign.

He gave me two exesises to do, (2 or three times a day) but stressed I mustn’t do anything more strenuous.

First is the Clam.
Problem hip in the air, you might feel a pain in the muscles when you’ve done this a few times, but that’s normal.

Second is the Glute Bridge.

3 Likes

Thankyou

LMAO. (Is what my kids would reply)

G

Lawrence of Arabia’s music room at Clouds Hill today. The LP12 of its day !

The ground-floor reading room.

4 Likes

Just put the bins out. Remembered it’s the blue and green.
Next week the black bin.
Sometimes I get quite cross. The bin men for some reason decide to leave my empty bin some way down the road where I live after they have done their duties.
We have a little nook that we keep the bin so it is off the street for the mothers prams and the old folk.
Yet come bin collection day the bin basterds never return it to its colloquial spot. Instead leaving it some 100 yards away right in the middle of the path.

1 Like

You certainly make the most of your NT membership! Are you a life member?

Regrettably not but maybe I should be !

Clouds Hill pretty compact and limited visitor numbers but easy to book a slot on line. I knew very little about Lawrence beforehand but found the visit fascinating. A most unusual character.

1 Like

I’m curious: what does it stand for? :slight_smile:

Ouch, that sounds nasty Phil, all the best.

1 Like

Laughing My A*** Off

2 Likes

Thanks Eoin. Hopefully it will get better soon now I know how to avoid the worse of the pain by bending forward as I walk. I may need to do the exercises posted by @Fatcat once it’s getting better. I think the church pew may have started it at the wonderful performance of the Pergolesi Stabat Mater.

Phil

2 Likes

I really liked Clouds Hill, and much prefer the smaller properties. The large houses get a bit samey. If you’ve not been, Sandham Memorial Chapel is just wonderful. It’s full of Stanley Spencer artwork, and has to be seen to be believed. We joined as life members when I retired and got my lump sum. It was a lot of money at the time but I’m pleased we did it.

Sandham’s on my list. Thanks for that, I’ll definitely check it out.

Talking of smaller properties - one of my favourites is Westwood Manor near Bradford-on-Avon. Very different to Clouds Hill but some similarities in atmosphere. Open selected dates during Summer only.

I’ll make a note, thanks. It’s a bit far for a day drip though.

The comet from my daughter’s garden taken 7:34 BST

She also had spectacular Northern Lights.

Phil

11 Likes

Lovely photographs!

In East London, best I could get were these:

Even so, I’m delighted. Never seen the aurora before and was highly doubtful I’d catch a glimpse of the comet - I sure as hell won’t see it next time around…

4 Likes

I spent the day museum visiting with a couple of family members. First the Whitaker museum near Accrington, a very quirky museum showcasing Victorian Cabinet of Curiosity artefacts and a gruesome (to my taste) display of early 19th Century taxidermy as well as very contemporary works.
A nice early lunch in their café set us up for a trip to the Haworth Art Gallery in Accrington (not connected to the West Yorkshire town famous for the Brontë sisters). That is a beautiful Arts and Crafts house left to the community as an art museum by the mill owning family who had it built. The high point of the collection is a massive collection of Tiffany glass gifted to the community by the Accrington- born Joseph Briggs who joined Tiffany as an errand boy and rose to be the company president. I think it’s the second largest collection of original Tiffany glass in the world. Iridescent glass isn’t my favourite style, but even so there are at least 6 true masterpieces here which I truly love as well as other masterpieces which aren’t as much to my personal taste. (Also for fans of early 20 Century European glass a Gallé, a Thomas Webb and a Stevens & Williams.)

3 Likes

A totally different day as you could ever imagine. I have a grain field behind me , and after harvest the rats migrate . A couple have taken up residence in the shed - for now. None in residence at the time, but a good bath with patio cleaner , and probably Jeyes Fluid tomorrow.

Cleaning out the shed , gloves , mask are prerequisites . Disinfected it today, will disinfect it again tomorrow

A thoroughly horrible job and one many of my neighbours are familiar with .

I normally do the job in a clean sweep so to speak , but this time had to do it in segments . Nothing to eat or drink and then straight into a bath and clothes into washing machine

No sign of the little so and so’s in my tool shed

Life in the countryside is not always what it is made out to be

5 Likes

I had dinner with friends at our local pub last night we sat outside and I wasn’t allowed anywhere near the bar. $18 steak is definitely the best value in town plus I had my first beer in about 6 or 7 weeks.

16 Likes

Walked over to one of my local cemeteries in search of the grave of the legendary Gerald Holtom.

1 Like