Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Holtom? Peace logo?

1 Like

The very man.

1 Like

And there was me thinking it was Forest Gump, or was that the smiley.

:rofl:

1 Like

I went to see the production of Coriolanus at the National Theatre last night. Really enjoyable and a fantastic production - top notch set design. Storming performance by David Oyelowo in the title role - would be surprised if he isn’t in contention for a gong of some sort. There were spare seats do would definitely recommend

2 Likes

Seem to remember it being bloody when I saw it in 1973 at Stratford on Avon.

Phil

Yes it does sit in the ‘very bloody and everyone dies’ Shakespeare canon!

1 Like

Toured the rock and soul museum in Memphis.
Much more interesting than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Perfect weather allowed for beer on a patio and live music in the afternoon, then bbq and more at BbKings till late.

8 Likes

God that sounds like a great day :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve had worse :wink:

The BBQ was disappointing and didn’t budge enough time to make it to a decent rib joint.

Trust you’re continuing recovery! Pulling for you over here as well.

Peter

2 Likes

Thank you. :+1:

Took a selection of posters, some signed, and signed Nick Mason drum skin to my local picture framer three weeks ago and picked them up today.

Apologies for the angles but I was trying to avoid light and body reflections.

8 Likes

And a few more.

6 Likes

Ordered Golden Sheep’s Ethiopian beans today. I thought you might be interested in this article. Their prices are very competitive for specialty coffee.

Why is supermarket coffee so cheap?

A phrase that I sometimes hear is… “I can buy coffee much cheaper in the supermarket” and my response is always “well yes you can, but you’re not comparing apples with apples (so to speak)”.

So why is supermarket coffee so much cheaper? Firstly, good coffee is expensive, and all coffees are not the same… There’s a big difference between “coffee” and “speciality coffee”.

• As an independent Roaster, we use beans from small farms and cooperatives that is fully traceable back to the farmer. The farmer is paid a good and fair price for his coffee (better than fairtrade) and their communities are supported through education, welfare and infrastructure improvements. The land used for coffee growing is hugely important for the quality of the coffee, with higher altitudes used for Arabica beans that are hand-picked. Their aim is to produce the best grade coffee that they can.

Large scale coffee farms are often controlled exclusively by a supermarket chain who often dictate the price – which may not always be the best price for the farmer. Large scale farms will utilise mechanical harvesting that can’t be used on the slopes of higher altitude farms and so they are unable to grow the same quality beans. Lower altitudes generally tend to grow Robusta beans – which are a lower quality and have a more bitter taste.

• Small independent roasters like us, mainly roast by hand in traditional drum roasters in small batches ranging from batches of 5kg to 30kg at a time depending on the size of the roaster. The final roast quality depends upon the art of the roaster in controlling the temperature and time to develop the best aromas. Using all their roasting knowledge and skill to ensure the best possible cup of coffee

Industrial scale roasting used by the supermarkets is a completely different beast. Using Rapid or Flash roasting methods that are automated, they are able to roast up to 4000kg per hour with each roast taking up to around 6 minutes – half the time it takes a typical small-scale independent roaster to roast 5 kg.

These methods allow poor quality coffee to be roasted at high temperatures, but in these volumes and at this speed, the beans can’t be roasted evenly or develop their aromas. These beans are destined for instant coffee and many bags of ‘real’ coffee found in the supermarkets.

• As an independent roaster, we adapt our production according to demand and are committed to freshly roasted coffee – usually roasted to order. Each bag will show the roast date, so you know how fresh it is, and give you up to 6 weeks to consume it at its best. Coffee flavours will deteriorate after this time although still ok to drink, it might be a bit bland. Our focus is always on the quality of the roasted bean and the way it tastes.

Supermarket coffee has no stated roast date and often have a shelf life of more than year. There is no traceability back to farmer and their focus is on price/volume. Their business model means that they need to get it on the shelf and sold at a profit as quickly as possible. It’s not all about the quality of the product, or the welfare of the farmer; it’s about turning a quick profit.

So, although an independent coffee roaster’s coffee appears to be more expensive, we can give you the following assurances:

• All of our coffee is ethically sourced with clear traceability back to the farmer. Each of our coffees listed in our website shop have a section included in the details called ‘Meet the Farmer’. Here you can read up about the farmer or cooperative and the area of the bean’s origin. Alternatively, scan the QR code found on all of our bags to be taken to that page.
  • Better quality beans carefully roasted to develop the best aromas. All of our coffee beans are Speciality Grade. This means that they have all been assessed by the SCA (Speciality Coffee Association) and awarded a quality grade of 80 or above.
  • Freshly roasted to order with a clear ‘Roasting date’ (coffee freshness assured).
  • Ultimately a better taste. What more could you ask for?
1 Like

Same applies to wine. But still people will boast of how little they’ve spent.

3 Likes

If there was ever a reason to use museum glass, it’s on all of these. UV protection for the signatures and as you’ve found out, non reflective glass. It’s all in the show us your art thread.

The choice to not use museum glass was a conscious one. The location I used to take these pictures is compromised due to various natural and artificial light sources and will not be their final hanging location.
Regards,
Graeme

Thought the system sounded a bit off, particularly the imaging. But have had a heavy cold the past week so dismissed it…….

Today decided to have. Listen to each of the drive units in the K3s. No sound from the tweeter on the right hand speaker.

Decided to peer into the tweeter housing with a bright torch, which revealed a broken ribbon.

Warranty request underway……

1 Like

At least it’s covered by warranty. You’ll need both tweeters replacing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is that a common occurrence? I have a pair of those tweeters in my D2R’s

Location has nothing to do with it. Personally valuable pieces of art like that with very vulnerable signatures to be hidden behind horrible green reflective glass is a crime imo. I just don’t get people.

Just my opinion.