Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Felt the same in bed last night. The chair is more comfortable. Some movement helps.

Just hope it will fix itself soon for both of us.

Phil

If it was General Accident in their (then) new HQ, my father worked on the building with James Parr Architects.

G

not wanting to get completely under the influence of 30/500 cocodamol

Don’t blame you in the slightest

I hate the prep more than the procedure - have been putting mine off for over a year now, and need to remedy that, but the loss of 48 hours of life that I’ll never get back is also off-putting.

On the topic of medical stuff, yesterday I had (yet) another endovascular procedure due to in-stent stenoses in my lower extremities (superficial femoral artery and anterior tibial artery). First time they’ve ever entered through the foot/ankle; all my others have been via the contraleteral groin. This seems to be less invasive, and I hope to be able to return to work on Monday, although the other pharmacist is aware and if I falter will relieve me.

Getting old is a real b*tch.

2 Likes

Gee that doesn’t sound like fun, rest up and take care.

On a more mundane note than the life determining discussions here recently, I have got round to buying the makings for our Christmas cake today and I intend making it this coming weekend, if I get round to measuring up the dried fruit and kicking off the soaking in brandy process. Normally I make the cake in December, so I am in a much better place this year!

And tomorrow I have to pop into my daughter’s house to get my 12 year old granddaughter’s bedside CD player which is exhibiting a fault that I think is caused by a stretched drive belt, meaning that the drawer doesn’t open. Freshly reminded of sorting out my UnitiLite, I will give it a go, but there are a lot of twee goblin figures and fairies etc perched on top of it which I will need to move and I am going to have to discover how difficult it is to get inside this low end consumer unit (but at least it’s made by Yamaha).

The possible outcomes are:

1. get inside, find the belt is accessible and fix it with one from the bundle I bought on eBay when mending my UnitiLite. “Well done granddad!”

2. get inside, find I can’t change the belt for some reason or that it’s something else that is broken and give up. “Oh. Well you can only do your best granddad”

3. get inside but fail to fix it or fail to get inside and either way, buy an identical refurbished CD player from eBay for £179 plus shipping but not let on to said granddaughter what I had to do. “Well done granddad!”

Wish me luck!

4 Likes

Great on both fronts Grandad👍

1 Like

For the flexi sig it’s just an enema two hours before. I’ve done the disgusting drink a couple of times when I had full colonoscopies. The sig only needs the last metre emptied. It’s been a very interesting month; I’ve had ulcerative colitis for many years, and for a long time it’s been in remission. And still I have pain and constipation, with the inevitable clear out after taking laxatives. It was seriously getting me down and was affecting our lives.

When I last saw my IBD nurse she dropped into the conversation that the IBD might be overlayed with IBS, and referred me to the dietician. She put me on a low FODMAP diet a month ago and I’ve another five weeks to go. The diet is quite a challenge as I don’t eat meat and have a severe nut allergy, but I’ve not taken a laxative for a whole month and things are much calmer. It’s a bloody miracle. After the five weeks I start reintroducing things and hopefully I’ll find out what’s causing it. The things I miss most are garlic, onions and lentils. If I can eat them I’d happily live without lactose or even gluten.

1 Like

Good luck, Nigel. My last colonoscopy was clear, but as I indicated I am overdue.

Heading off to Leeds for the weekend. Son dropped me at the train station. Train to Belfast. Bus to the City airport. Flight to Leeds. Fog in Leeds. I’m now in Liverpool. Waiting for Swissport to rustle up a coach.

Willy.

1 Like

Just great😬

1 Like

You may have already seen this:

Might not be new, just spotted it on the BBC site (23 days left to view).

Thanks so much for letting me know. I saw them at Leicester Poly the previous month and it was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. Right up there with Joy Division and a few others.

1 Like

I’ve not watched it yet, but will probably do so later. Thought you might enjoy it.

Fun it isn’t, but beyond the inevitable likely outcomes, it pales by comparison to what you and others have recently endured.

2 Likes

Ciao Mark,
speaking of enduring, how’s your leg? Are you recovering from surgery?
My next serious medical stuff is on November 26th, oncology visit. Until then I only deal with sore throat, some cough, grim weather. :slight_smile:
Get well soon!

Funnily enough, when I had radical prostatectomy (one year ago to the day), I enjoyed the five days I spent in the H. I had rest and very much appreciated being off-world for almost a week. There was a young night nurse with amazing golden eyes, all was quiet. I was in a single bedroom. Surgery took six hours, I dreamed nothing, feared nothing, felt nothing. It was a pleasing experience, one that has made me understand that I am a weird guy not entirely fit for this world…

A hug and best with your recovery!

Garlic and to a lesser extent Onions tend to produce wind. I am a great believer in the health benefits of onions. My wife reacts to garlic which has great benefits but produces more wind.

Sourdough bread would be a good choice for gut health and tends to result in a lower glycemic index. It also tends to be lower in gluten especially if it uses wholemeal flour. Organic wheat carefully ground is essential.

It’s not clear that supermarket or mass produced sourdough really live up to the name. Craft producers in my area charge over £4 for a 800gm loaf.

I make a 1200gm 50:50 white:wholemeal loaf every 5 days. I start at breakfast by refreshing the starter using wholemeal dark rye flour. Around 6pm I mix everything and leave for about an hour depending on room temperature before starting the stretch and fold process which is repeated hourly with less stretch and fold each time until the final fourth hour is up. Each fold process only takes a few minutes. It then goes in the banetton and fridge overnight to prove and then the oven in a cast iron pot.

Costs about £1 (770gm of flour and electric) even with quality ingredients which I buy bulk in 16kg bags.

It has so much more flavour than ordinary bread. I also only use 12gm of salt which is low compared with shop bread.

I also make kefir yogurt which is great for the gut. Again the lactose may be broken down. I have lost over 1 stone since March when I started. My IBS is under control although I don’t over do some things like nuts.

Phil