Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Only £25 for me, but better than a poke in the eye!

£300 for me but I went through a period of three consecutive months last year of not wining anything.

My normal B::gg:r all. But I guess it is generally a function of how many bonds you have.

We have a local coffee roaster, who this morning when we needed more I discovered was on holiday. So I had to take pot luck at our local farm shop who sells one of their beans from a vending machine. I buy lightly pasteurised milk from them also to make my kefir yogurt.

This time the bean chosen by the roaster was El Arcangel from Bolivia. I must say I am extremely impressed. I looked online for prices and found it is unavailable from most other roasters and quite a lot more expensive.

I would never have tried it but for having no choice.

Phil

3 Likes

Just ready to plug in the first Cosworth YB with a mains plug attached :wink:

4 Likes

Ready to put in car tomorrow. Phew!
Then fit gearbox.

7 Likes

I got some from my favourite roaster mocha mondo in Northumbria a while back (the place I did the roasting course past weekend) and they still have it so you could try there?

1 Like

I’m hoping my local roaster, Golden Sheep (the Cotswold Lion powered the wool trade here), still have it. I also really like their Colombian high altitude beans. I have a really good hand grinder so the coffee is always freshly ground.

Have you got your machine with built in grinder now? How much will you roast at a time? Mine is just a De Longhi. We like an after dinner small cup. In fact I carefully monitor how full the cup gets to ensure the intense flavour.

Phil

Not sure about all your questions - not going to get anything with a built in grinder (ever :grinning:), so not sure what I said to make you think that. The roaster isn’t arriving for a year or two - it can roast anything from 100g to 1kg at a time but the optimum is apparently 600g. The roaster I had a few years ago was 250g

I need to make some space in the garage (maybe a shed) to protect the grinder (can’t just leave in the garage even though it’s dry) and have space for the computer it needs to be connected to for the software to run. Waiting for brother in law’s workshop to be finished so he can move out what he has stored in our garage and then need to dig out the concrete but that was under the oil tank, get flat concrete, and then a shed of some kind. I will need a simple extractor fan too

It must have been someone else asking about them! Quite agree, and would recommend hand grinders always now.

Phil

1 Like

What hand grinder do you use?

It has a very smooth bearing and is very tactile.

Phil

1 Like

Woolacombe beach, North Devon 7 pm. Mrs Duck and I have just had fish and chips on the beach with a half bottle of TWS Greek White and then gone for a paddle. Life doesn’t get much better than this

13 Likes

You’ve been posting about this for sometime now so how many hours do you think it has taken so far & how many more until we can look forward to the road test report?

1 Like

It’s taken longer than I expected but work on old cars always does. :thinking:
The alloy crank pulley wouldn’t go on the nose of the crank, without the anodising it probably was a perfect fit so I had to ream the pulley out with 800 paper soaked in oil until it just slipped on. Just taking the surface of the anodising off was just enough.
Two of the cam bearing cap studs had stripped the thread in the head so had to be “helicoiled”. When setting up the cams I found one of the caps (no. 10 one of the helicoiled ones :thinking:) was tight on the cam so had to do some reaming on that, as with the pulley - do a bit and check, then repeat as necessary. Once sorted both cams took a similar amount of force to rotate and I could no longer ‘feel’ any binding.

I’ve not counted any hours or added up the bill :grimacing:

I have other cars to do as well plus I’ve had to wait for parts etc. The downpipe needs drilling for the Lambda sensor but I can’t do this until the engine is in, downpipe connected and the new turbo heat shield is in place. Then I have to remove the downpipe I’ve just fitted and get it drilled and the boss TIG’d in. Then put it back again. :confused:

Hours of fun :anguished::slightly_smiling_face:

For the start-up I have to get my mate round to listen for any wrong noises as I am deaf :hear_no_evil:
Hopefully all OK, run it in and then book in for a “Live Map” at my tuners. There’s no off the shelf chip and the management is speed/density so there is no air flow meter, any changes in VE (volumetric efficiency) means a remap.

Wow! That’s a long post for me :anguished:

3 Likes

Wow, takes me back 50 years to my late teens when, like most of my contemporaries, I spent most of my weekends (& spare cash) on my car to make sure it would get me through to the following weekend, when the whole cycle would begin again!

Was thrilled to get my first company car & let someone else maintain it & pay the bills. Being an Austin Allegro, repair bills were plentiful. They were firm favourites with the garage trade.

When I became self-employed I promised myself to work hard enough to afford new cars that shouldn’t break down with monotonous regularty, & if they did I could afford to pay someone else to fix them.

This worked for me & pretty much all I’ve had to do since 1978 is keep the cars clean & check the tyre pressure!

Anyway, hats off to you & hope all goes well when your Cossie hits the road again. Will certainly have made all your work worthwhile!

1 Like

I’ve only ever owned one new car, a Peugeot 205 I bought when I was 18.

The last newish car I bought was the Cossie in 1995. My dad used to call it the “Costworth” :grinning:

3 Likes

As a non-car enthusiast, I have enjoyed the precision, enthusiasm and the obvious pleasure that it has given you.

Best wishes

Ian

5 Likes

Lovely location - still remember hols as a kid, too many decades ago to count.
Just before sound hound (see PFP) passed away some years ago, we spent a day on Croyde beach and then dropped into Woolacombe on the journey home.
Enjoy

1 Like

Took my nearly 4yo grandson to his first football training session in a Romford public park today. Us grand/parents were asked to come on and take the little ones off to the side if there was a meltdown. Luckily he loved it despite being unsure what was going on at times, I did have to explain to him what pass meant tho!

Very impressed with the coaching - no kick and rush rather ball control and passing exercises, and to encourage teamwork in the final 4-a-side matches goals could only be scored after at least 3 passes.

I don’t recall anything like this even later at primary school. Only Mr Davis in his tweed jacket and slip-ons giving you a clip round the ear if you passed the ball across the box. TBF he had seen the great 50s Hungary side and always said “boys the ball can move faster than you can so pass, pass, pass.”

4 Likes