Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Mixed and poured half a ton of concrete.

When it’s cured enough I’ll render the top, sloping away from the wall, directing water into the drain.
Meanwhile medicinal beer.

Willy.

6 Likes

Not really Ian.

It’s just that you have stressed going for simplicity often & I thought that’s what the Nova offered, first & foremost, as much as ‘doing it all’.

I have liked my Nova a lot for the past 5 years & considered it’s sound quality excellent with the small ProAc DB1’s. I was surprised at the extra SQ recently achieved by changing to larger ProAc D2R’s & feel that this is not all down to the new speakers & that the Nova must have an even better synergy with my new speakers than it had with the old ones.

Two things came to mind:

Hungary Hallibert reported that the Nova didn’t do it for him & then ended up purchasing one, initially being very happy with it & the speakers he was using but fairly quickly finding that something didn’t quite gel. A change of speaker has transformed his view since then.

A while back someone, whose name I can’t recall, commented that his second system Nova was 90% as good as his 500 series system for considerabably less in price.

These, & my own experience, have led me to wonder if the Nova (& possibly the Unities as a whole) are more speaker fussy than other Naim amps & that if you had also investigated a speaker change when you began your changes you may have retained the Nova (or similar), ending up with the simple, good sounding, minimal box system you desired that could be controlled from the comfort of your armchair when your knee was not being friendly.

1 Like

Summoned for a blood pressure reading at the local clinic.

140/80

She thought after hearing about my nocturnal ramblings,my age,the heat and stress of meeting her this was a reasonable result and she would keep my medication as it was.

After a large glass of Shiraz last night I took a photo of an improved reading on my own monitor. No. No way would we get red wine on prescription. I tried.

8 Likes

That’s not quite right - I tried a Nova with my then ProAcs, as an option for downsizing from NDX2 and SN3 and it didn’t work for me. Subsequently I compared Nova/PMC21 with the ND/SN/ProAc and preferred the former.

Moving on, please can we keep hifi discussions off this thread, there are more than enough of them and this is about what we’ve done in the last 24 hours.

Yesterday Mrs HH and I went for a Loire themed dinner at 36 On the Quay here in sunny Emsworth with my dearest friends, who came down from London to stay. A representative of Langlois, a Loire wine producer, was there; we had a different Langlois wine with each course and it was just a lovely evening. This morning we went to Hayling beach, before having lunch at the Inn on the Beach. It’s the most enjoyable 24 hours I’ve had for quite a while.

5 Likes

Sounds like a fun time.

I had a day out today, but to watch one of my clients installing a new conveyor belt on a new aggregate bagging machine.

DG…

1 Like

That made me laugh, which I hope was your general intention.

Not quite the last 24 hours…played in a 3 touch 8 a side mini football tournament on Wednesday, 28 degree heat…great thing is we worked really well as a team to manage energy levels and came through un beaten and conceding zero goals :sunglasses: Legs felt very tired on Thursday :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Nipped down to Dungeness and had Fish and Fried Potatoes at the delicious Snack Shack. Move over The Pilot let the Snack Shack take over.

I found this pic on the net which shows the lovely view.

IMG_9155

10 Likes

Thanks, the big issue is simplicity and weight avoidance , I have got Harbeth P3ESR and have driven them with my Nait 50, Nova 200/202 /Aethos .

It is kneeling down making multiple connections , I want to simplify life and keep quality high , I really need to keep my system in the top 2 racks

1 Like

Just interested as I live in a similar ish area.
Local fish. What might that be?
Fresh would imply unfrozen.

1 Like

Fried potatoes? Not chips?

You can still turn up at Dungeness and buy fresh fish - there are still a couple of the old established fishing families that make a living out of fishing in Dungeness.

Not sure if Jerry Oiler still has his smokery - a few years ago you could knock at his door as I did and buy kippers fresh from his smokery.

1 Like

Fried new potatoes - looked like they were done in a skillet rather than deep fried.

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Is there an NHS you can download to a phone or iPad and see all the test results your doctor has?

Do you just sign into it with your NHS number?

Yes, it’s the NHS app. Once set up you log in with your email and password and you can order prescriptions, see your GP record and other stuff too. It’s very good.

1 Like

Thanks - great tip.

Here is a screenshot to whet your appetite.

1 Like

We’re just back from a week staying down in lovely little place near Rye, and popped over to Dungeness a few times to go on the RH&DR and just for a wander around. The Snack Shack was packed on the Friday - after seeing your comments, I wish we’d stopped there now !

5 Likes

You certainly had the best of the weather.

Expecting the Red Arrows to fly over Hythe today but with the rain I think it might be cancelled.

3 Likes