Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

A stunning piece of work.

If that were my house, I’d be parked up in a comfy chair for days, just gazing in admiration … … … assuming that the current Yorkshire drizzle had stopped, that is.

Just beautiful. :+1:

6 Likes

You just need to move in next door and he will do your dry walls and paving while you drink and play music😂

4 Likes

That is so tempting.

Beautiful work though, pure quality.

4 Likes

Brilliant job and a lot of hard work.

3 Likes

That is beautiful, congratulations.

3 Likes

It’s lovely work, though I much prefer it as it was. The new drive looks too suburban in that setting. As I understand it, that cement resin is impervious to water, which surely means that all the water runs off and ends up at the bottom. With increased rainfall we need to be making surfaces more permeable rather than less. People round here keep ripping up their front lawns and replacing them with parking areas, sometimes with resin, leaving a wildlife free zone that simply increases the risk of flooding.

2 Likes

That is a big factor in localised flooding , water needs to feed into the aquifers if it becomes urban run -off , it can be a flood factor.

One person I know has had his garden flooded over 20 times

Exactly so, and that leads to more storm discharges and sewage in the sea. I’d ban non-permeable garden surfaces in the planning legislation, it seems so obvious.

It would entirely depend on whether the concrete resin mix was a modern permeable type, or not.
There is also a planning reg that requires approval for a non permeable area over a certain size, commonly 5sq metres.

Not going to enter into a long argument,but I will address some of your points

At the end of the day it’s what the client wanted.

1 personally I wouldn’t want to continue putting up with the assorted cr.p area of some 70m2 outside my door.

2 the existing drive was dangerously slippy in the wet and the mortar surrounding the river cobbles was broken in multiple places.

3 totally agree re impermeable resin drive I think they look horrid and alter water displacement.
However in this case the drive is sloped into a large ‘French drain’ which together with other drainage channels feed into a large underground ‘grey’ water tank used for watering the garden.

4 Speaking of the garden the drive is relatively’ small’ part (@156m2) of a 0.75 acre (0.3 hectare) grassed, flower bedded, garden catering for diverse wildlife species including 3 bee hives.
Oh and the garden borders onto fields eventually bordering an ANOB so plenty of wildlife out there.

5 All permissions were granted.

7 Likes

Thank you … to quote the client

“ we thought it would look good but we weren’t expecting how stunning it actually does look”.

IMHO it looks better damp / wet brings out the colours of the cobbles

4 Likes

@dave-marshall

When you turn up the music I can just hear it in the distance😃

1 Like

It’s good that the water is collected, though I still think the old drive looked much nicer. As you say it’s the clients’ choice, but it’s all a bit nouveau riche in my view.

You got an East facing window? :joy: :joy:

1 Like

If riding our horses have 360deg surround sound system
Allegedly next highest point from our ridge eastward are the Urals so yeah

1 Like

I do requests too, you know. :astonished: :wink:

1 Like

Took a bost trip down the Vierwaldstättersee. Delightful!

14 Likes

Cheltenham Music Festival - we sang

• Holst’s Hymn of Jesus (Words from The Acts of John - not the Apostle)
  • Messiaen O Sacrum Convivium (unaccompanied)
  • Poulenc Gloria with superb young Australian soprano Samantha Clarke

The Gloucester Cathedral choristers were in the wings for the Holst and the South Cotswold Big Sing Choir was supplemented by professional singers including some from the BBC singers and lay clerks from cathedrals around the area. The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra accompanied us. Our conductor was Adrian Partington Gloucester Cathedral Director of Music.

An altogether wonderful experience for us. The Big Sing has been going since 2008. Most of the choirs don’t require auditions. Adrian is an inspiring leader who has brought it all together in a little more than three weeks. The Holst and Messiaen were particularly challenging, while the Poulenc is incredibly beautiful.

Phil

12 Likes

Learning the hard way, or complete stupidity?

Yesterday afternoon I mowed the lawn, the first time since I got my first ever hearing aids two weeks ago. They are NHS and I have been surprisingly impressed by them.
One corner of the lawn involves brushing through vertical hanging branches from a birch tree. Yes, you can see where this is going.
When finished I noticed that I was wearing only one. I eventually found it in the grass cuttings, completely redesigned.
Specsavers want to see it before ordering a new one which will cost me £100.
I have been paranoid about showering, going out in the rain etc, but mowing was not on my radar.
Not a complete disaster but annoying and embarrassing.

8 Likes

Swanage Jazz Festival for 3 days, right after the excellent Naim site visit. Around 50 bands appearing I think.

Some good swing band music last night, with the band ‘Jiving Miss Daisy’. Some rain outside but it didn’t affect us in the sea-front marquees.

2 Likes