Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Wow……that is lucky, and what a good chap👍

1 Like

Today’s Panasonic loaf.

5 Likes

Sourdough is easy following the Bake with Jack video. 50/50 organic Wholemeal and Strong White. The banetton came with the cast iron Krustenzauber bread mould.

Phil

5 Likes

I’ve boycotted 'spoons since the ‘B’ referendum…

5 Likes

But when it’s one’s son’s graduation day and he’s sitting in the pub with his friends and he says ‘come and have a drink before it starts’, what is one to do? Join with good grace or make a fuss? Anyway, we need to move on.

1 Like

Why is this board so ‘bready’?

G

4 Likes

I have never entered the local establishment but being only three streets away from having Farage as my MP it is as HH says………All relative.

Picked these inthe local forest.

The woman in the house brought this back from the CSA. I fried half the squash in chorizo grease. Fantastic! From farm to stomic in under an hour. Ohhh.

8 Likes

In summer I pick my beans about five minutes before they go in the pan, not this year though

2 Likes

Made this danish sweet bread, Brunsviger.
The filling is butter, brown sugar and some cinnamon. Great taste.

7 Likes

In Newcastle for my last scheduled chemo session and was lucky enough to be down at the beach this to witness a pod of whales heading north. Imo nothing rekindles the spirit like watching these gorgeous creatures go about their day.

28 Likes

they can be a bit mischievous

3 Likes

Saw that yesterday here you’re not allowed to get that close (in a boat).

That looks very much like ours. We previously had a white one, which after well over ten years was getting decidedly manky. One thing we noticed was that the recipes had changed. Where two teaspoons of sugar was previously mentioned, that had increased to a desert spoon in the new book. We only ever used one teaspoon anyway, so continued and everything is fine. We also use considerably less salt than the recipe says.

Regarding the ascorbic acid mentioned above, there is no need for it in home made bread. It’s used commercially to help the bread puff up, but with decent flour it’s just not necessary. We use Waitrose organic flour and our loaves are lovely. Wholemeal seems much more successful than the white bread, which is fine as we eat wholemeal about 95% of the time anyway.

2 Likes

We noticed that as well. Our default is “French”. The latest book omits the great knob of butter. My wife follows the recipe; if I make the bread, the butter goes back in!

I use 12gm of sea salt to make a 1200gm loaf. No sugar or anything other than organic flours and water. The sourdough starter was made from Matthews Cotswold Rye wholemeal flour with daily refreshes for 1-2 weeks until it is nice and bubbly. Thereafter, refresh prior to bread making leaving some scrapings in the pot.

The great thing about sourdough is that the time given for the starter to digest the new flour and produce gas breaks down the proteins into something better for gut health. There is no intensive kneading. Instead an hourly stretching and folding develops the gluten that traps the gases. The Bake with Jack videos give all the help you knead. The bread flavour and texture is what makes it worthwhile.

The 16kg bags cost £19 with free delivery on orders over £35.

Phil

1 Like

I bought myself a Lotus…

Its a C54 Scalextric Lotus 18 (a C54 Type 4, for those who know too much…).

Was a non-runner as received, but after some attention (and cleaning), now runs.
Not great, but it goes…! (my cars have to run)

Thats No.53 in my collection… :crazy_face:

13 Likes

Our accommodation in Jasper has been cancelled due to the wildfire. Today I booked a lovely Airbnb in Golden B.C. only to discover that a 55 sq km wildfire is raging south of the town, so cancelled that too. There are over 400 wildfires in B.C. at the moment. They generate their own weather systems producing multiple lightning strikes, sparking further fires.

Thing is lots of people here are driving around billowing black smoke from pickup trucks. Haven’t they figured it out yet?

My wife and I went out to ByBee Farm in North Bend, Washington yesterday morning and picked 33 pounds of Blueberries. Two of the three boxes have been empited, washed, dried, packed in zip lock bags and put in the freezer. One more box as shown above to be worked on latter today.

Yahoo… Life is Sweet!

21 Likes

That’s a lot of blueberries

3 Likes