Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Just about every morning I start the day with Yogurt with fresh fruit or frozen. Good for my health and my sweet tooth. Blueberries, Rasberries, Fresh Strawberries throughout late May and June, Then fresh Rasberries Late June to mid-July, then fresh Blueberries in Late July through mid August. We pick our own from local growers plus I do get good crop of Rasberries right from my own back garden.

Bonus is my wife loves to bake so I have to suffer through scones, muffins and pies. I deal with it gracefully to help keep the marriage strong and keeps me exercising daily to watch the waist line.

Yahoo… Life is Sweet!

16 Likes

Our daughter lives just outside Vernon in BC, her in-laws live in Canmore Alberta. We have therefore spent the past 25 years, partly in Western Canada and partly here in the UK.

I’ve lost track of the times we’ve visited Jasper. It’s a very picturesque town and the Icefields Parkway connecting Jasper down to Lake Louise is a wonderful place to drive. It also provides good access to some beautiful backcountry hiking. Sandy8 posted some wonderful photos recently in the Nice Photos thread.

Our daughter face-timed today and mentioned the news about Jasper. It doesn’t even register on the BBC news site. Fortunately, at the moment our part of BC doesn’t seem to have been hit as badly as last year when the large fire west of Kelowna and the Okanagan Lake almost crossed the lake. Our place is up on Predator Ridge - too close for comfort, but no evacuation order !!

I hope the Provincial and central government help to re-establish Jasper.

5 Likes

There is no doubt in my mind it will be rebuilt.
Have enjoyed Sparkling Hill up your way, though it has been a few years.

I have great memories of spending weekends in Jasper, often at Jasper Park Lodge. Extremely saddened by the news and relieved that it wasn’t a total wipe-out.

That‘s a coincidence Don, we are staying in Canmore. We planned to stay 2 days but are now staying 5. Banff and Canmore have both escaped the fires so far but Jasper NW of here and the area south of Golden in the west have both been hit badly. The town may not have been completely destroyed but at least a third of the buildings have been severely damaged. 25.000 people were evacuated and for them the drive from Jasper to Banff took 14 hours.

Lovely pics!

1 Like

I had to demolish my car.
On Wednesday, back from a school ceremony in another town, I had a bad enough accident on a four-lanes motorway, with no injured thanks to I don’t know who or what.
I was in the fast lane and hit the guardrail, then went on for a hundred meters or so with the left side of the car against it with a horrible noise, until I managed to stop - in the fast lane.

The really bad part is, hitting the guardrail my front left wheel was stripped off and cast into the opposite track where a couple of cars, to avoid it, slightly touched themselves. I cannot even think what if the wheel had it a biker or smashed a windshield.

Nor have I an idea of how none of the fast incoming cars centered me and mine until the service van came. Yesterday my mechanic told me that it’s not fixable - it would cost twice as much what I paid for it. I’ve had it for four months, after a one year indecision about whether to buy one.

I can honestly say that it was almost a miracle I didn’t kill anyone.

IMG_0086

10 Likes

As long as you and yours (and the other drivers) are all OK, and it sounds like you are, that’s all that really matters. You’ll get over the shock, and the car can be replaced if that’s what you choose to do.

2 Likes

Glad that you are alright, you’ve had enough tribulations of late.

Stay safe

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Gosh, that’s very scary, luckily no one was hurt. Though I expect quite traumatising all the same.

3 Likes

Graeme,
thanks. I was alone luckily. I don’t think I’ll replace the car. While I like driving, I don’t like cars. It’s taken me more than a year to decide to buy this one. I now know I should have listened to my heart instead of friends and relatives.

Ian,
thanks.
M.

8 Likes

Yes it was.

1 Like

Goodness me Max. I am pleased to hear that you are ok and that there were no other casualties. The car is just a lump of metal and of no consequence. Take care and time to recuperate.

2 Likes

Glad you’re okay and no-one was injured. Sounds - bizarrely - like quite a lot of good luck in that respect.

My one and only car crash (aquaplaning, 25 years ago) similarly involved me ending up facing the wrong way in the fast lane, dark, no lights, and having rolled end-to-end (not side to side). Although the car was about 30cm shorter, at both ends, it saved my life - only concussion. Fortunately someone else had seen the entire thing and contacted all the emergency services, but - like you - I dread to think what sort of trap I had inadvertently laid for others. Very fortunate.

3 Likes

In the last 24 hours I “did” this.

Highly recommended!

5 Likes

I have the same one, dating from around 1968 or so, we used to call it the Banana when we were kids due to its colour and it was also a bit prone to skidding off track! I’ve quite a few more too from late 60’s and early 70’s - here’s a few…the Miura was super quick!

2 Likes

Quite a lot, indeed. I am still a bit shaken. Cars are dangerous things, and they also make some people become dangerous people.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Best wishes Max, glad you are OK.

3 Likes

On my way down to the Isle of Wight for a week, and for once the weather forecast looks promising :sun_with_face: arrived at Southsea common to catch the hovercraft and there is a kite festival going on. They are quite big too!

6 Likes

I have all of those, except the Motorcycle and Sidecar.

Yes, the Miura and its siblings (the Ford Mirage, Ferrari P4, Ford 3L & Porsche 917) was - is - a quick car. as is/was any other car with that motor & guide set up.

The newer cars with magnets are even quicker, that is until they hit their limit, when the fly off even faster…!!

Here are a few of mine -

7 Likes