Throwback System Pics

Here’s my first Naim system 1998-2016:
CD3.5, Nait 3, HiCap, Creek T43 tuner, Monitor Audio 703 PMC speakers (later added Project Debut Carbon TT). Sound Org rack. I loved this simple system, sounded great (I wish I’d kept the Nait :unamused:)

10 Likes

Pic was taken in 2002 -syestem was a few years in the making… Arcam Alpha 9 - Integrated amplifier, Yamaha KX580 SE cassette deck, Kenwood 660l tuner, Sony MDK mini disc, Technics CD player. I had hooked up to Acoustic Energy 109 floor standers - lovely warm sound. Takes me back decades…29

9 Likes

I know that feeling, still have my CD3.5 and NAT03 (still in the rack -despite having a Nova)

2 Likes

Continuing with a couple more print scans - as shown above - Ariston RD80 upgraded to LP12.

Replaced the basic standard ‘hi-fi unit/stand’ with a new solid wood LP cupboard and separate shelf for the Linn. The shelf had a short drop ‘back’ to it, with a wide slot and internal metal parts - this enabled it to rest on a long metal bar which was bolted to the wall and was adjustable for level in all directions. It worked really well and I had my first realisation that equipment furniture could make a positive improvement to sound quality and engagement.

Then in 1984 I upgraded from the nytech 252 to first my naim system - 42 / snaps / 160
I remember Mike Manning (manager at the time) demoing this combination for me at Radford Hi-Fi. Naturally, I took some LP’s from my own collection, which included a Japanese pressing of Donald Fagen’s The Nightfly (now in the safe hands of my best music buddy) and it sounded amazing!

I never imagined how significant an event in my creative career and life this would actually become!

15 Likes

my dad used to have AR-7 aswell :smiley:

Circa 1995 Quad 77 & cd, LP12 DV10x5, Akai receiver as a tuner. That was 20 plus years after the Journey started.

7 Likes

Anyone had an Arcam Alpha 5 in the past? The first cd player I found remotely palatable.

G

1 Like

My first proper CD player was the Arcam Alpha (not the 5 though) through a 72/140 amp combo. Nice sound and well suited to the Naims I thought.
So much so that when it was time for a replacement I went for the Arcam CD23 FMJ (which I still use and enjoy to this day).

2 Likes

OMG, I bought a Rega Planar 3 in 89/90. Sold it in 2007

Anyone remember the Arcam Black Box DAC back in 1990. Outboard Dac for my Pioneer CD player. I must try and dig out a photo

1 Like

Had a Black Box dac for a bit too but preferred the 5 I remember.

G

I should still have a couple of them somewhere; one is an Alpha plus and the other an Alpha 5. The latter ready to give up its CDM9 for my CD3 should it require to do so in the future.

1 Like

When I finally had my complete LP12 Armageddon, CDS3, NAC552, and NAP500 system together, which must have been around 2005.

Then moving on to 2009;

19 Likes

28 Likes

Hi from down under Richard

Your LP12 fluted plinth - is that a cherry one or original afromosia ?

Thanks

Bevan

Yup.First was an Alpha One, Then had a 5+, finally a 6+. They were all brilliant.

Then I moved to a Linn Mimik II which was considerably more expensive but had the same crappy Sony mech as the Alpha One. Go figure.

1 Like

Had an Alpha 9, which when given some help with supporting platforms was a real honey of a player, still being loaned out amongst friends. That Ring Dac it used could bring some special results to vocals.

1 Like

Bevan, it’s an Afromosia.

Had the black box DAC on the original Alpha CD player, made a decent improvement as I recall

Sydney, 2002. The photo was taken, for insurance I guess, on my jvc video mini vhs camera - which had a 1MP digital camera.

You can’t see it other than a vague black box at the bottom of the pile, but I bought the LFD Integrated Zero and Spendor SP3/1s in 1994 with a Pioneer PD-S904 CD player (always the one earmarked for upgrade, but life got in the way). The boxes came in handy as you can see.

The LFD amplifier has an unconventional narrow/deep shape so I built a little shelf to sit over it for the stack of CD player plus a vhs player and a DVD player.

I got my first system when I was about 15. A CD player and JBL speakers second hand from an enthusiast. The CD player was a very early Phillips, a CD200 I think (top loading with a green digital display). Coupled with my Dad’s Sansui AU-101 amplifier. Wish I still had all of that gear!

5 Likes