Throwback System Pics

Lovely looking room and system Matt, did you have one of those converted Weavers cottages?

Several decades earlier I had left London to move to just outside Paris so I could afford to buy my first house. That’s Paris near Holmfirth of course!
It was rather bleak on the tops. Sadly no photos of system at the time.
Rega Planar 3, A& R A60, Mordaunt Short Pageants, Nakamichi 481 I think.

1 Like

My first house was in Paris (Scholes) - behind the little hairdressers! …this house is just a couple of hundred metres away in Hepworth :relieved: …small world!

I’m guessing you might have gone into the Butchers Arms (nice - and my current local - as I still own the house - although I’m never there!) and the The boot and shoe (a bit more “folksy”!)

1 Like

In my time there, the Butchers Arms was a favourite, a traditional village pub with some really well kept ale. Went back a couple of times to it’s more recent incarnation as a gastro pub which was also very good. But haven’t been for a number of years now.
It feels like years since I have been in any pub! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Though not the actual one this is exactly the model that adorned our living room throughout my early life. It was used to quiet the infant Yeti with Bach and Beethoven and was a constant through my childhood. I’m not sure quite what age I was when it went but I remember listening to Alan Freeman’s Saturday rock show on it and I also remember playing Pink Floyd Relics on it, a disc I bought when I was 16 and my first album.
Only when it was thrown out did I discover on the back a connection for another speaker and a switch that converted it to stereo output.
The sound was warm, maybe slightly boxy but very engaging, it’s replacement was a Japanese music centre which was rather boring.

7 Likes

A couple of semi-oldies (circa 2002-2005)…

Cat on Dynaudio BM15 monitor, Yamaha 01V digital mixer, Access Virus synthesizer.

ahem

Slightly older one (crt monitor instead of lcd) with Dynaudio Contour on stand. Some other gear in a rack as well.

apparatuur

Toshiba projection TV, B&W 604s and a NAD pre/power combo with a big plant on top, because why not…

flightcase4

8 Likes

Yes - it’s definitely more gastro of late. If it’ll reopen post the current situation, who knows - it’s full of charm in the little village location, but it’s really hampered by a severe lack of parking - so it’s not got enough locals to support it (I’d do my bit, but I actually live 150 miles away 95% of the time!) and people are put off travelling by having to park across somebody’s drive (usually mine!)

…hope so - it’s about as perfect little Yorkshire pub as you could hope to find.

1 Like

Can only back as far as 2006 so not a proper throwback but now wondering where the last 15 years have gone! :thinking:

1st Naim set up of Linn Axis, Stageline N, CDX2/XPS2, 282/HiCap2, 250.2 and Allaes.

Axis carried over from my previous (and 1st system from 1990) of Arcam Alpha 6 CDP, Cyrus2/PSX, Denon DRM Tape deck, Linn Helix speakers.

13 Likes

Before and after. After Decades of piecemeal upgrading, in 1998, I went all in and bought a complete system based on CDSII and XPS. It met my listening expectations in spades and performed faultlessly (apart from the horrible Allae’s) until I decided to modernise last year.

9 Likes

Circa 2006 LP12/Stageline/HiCap/Ekos/Troika/CDX2/XPS/NAT05/52/52PS/Snaxo242/4x135/SBL

16 Likes

Just a learner then I see…

G

2 Likes

I didn’t take photos back then, so this photo of my first amp is not by me.
4395077e--1dff

5 Likes

Before and after I purchased my first bit of Naim kit (XS-2). Approx 10 years ago. The Teac CD-transport was built like a tank by the way :smiley:

8 Likes

1986 (so 35 years ago). Out with my Technics gear & Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers following my first visit to a proper dealer (Rayleigh Hi-Fi). I talked myself out of Cyrus & Naim amplification in favour of a Musical Fidelity A1 (nobody’s perfect! :joy:). Loved my Rega Planar 2!

17 Likes

Grainy photo scan - before my LP12, and first naim system - Ariston RD80 + Nytech 252.
Also pictured my Pioneer cassette player. This sounded great in my bedroom in the early 80’s!

20 Likes

I would imagine that was a well balanced system. I had the Calculator/Tuner/Amplifier version of your amp. Great sound for the price. Didn’t much care for the 2-pin DIN speaker terminals though.
Can you remember what speakers you used?

1 Like

Alan Freeman’s Saturday rock show brilliant was captivated with his shows. Best presenter ever a great loss sooo sad :frowning: still miss his shows and melodic tones

2 Likes

I had Kef Celeste’s - no pictures of those unfortunately. I changed the arm on the RD80 to a Linn Basik, then put that onto the LP12 when I upgraded, as shown below.

8 Likes

I still have a Nytech 252 in the attic. Used it for about 10 years. Sounded great.

2 Likes

I guess from about 2003 -2005. World audio kt88 valve amp I built from a kit then meridian 506, 501, 556

Phone pics of actual paper photos so excuse quality

5 Likes

Always liked the design of that Meridian series. I had a G08 CD player for a bit. God was it boring.

G

1 Like