Tidal drop outs with

Yes, and no…

Yes, this update won’t stop dropouts per se, but should stop the occasional issue of certain tracks not playing and the legacy streamer stopping on Tidal

Oh my goodness. I thought the patch fixed what we were discussing and now all I have is a bricked UC2 and a pair of remotes that won’t access menus… Fiddlesticks.

Reading the thread, there were multiple issues, and the commentary from Naim is about mp4/AAC issues and other matters … nothing about TCP latency.

4.7.0 - Patch release fixes:

Fixed: Some Tidal streams on the high quality setting with a .mp4 extension would fail to play
Fixed: Audio artefacts when playing MP3 56kb/s iRadio stations (BBC World Service)
Fixed: Glitches when playing iRadio station CJAD 800, Qobec
Fixed: d on Dirty Disk text capitalised (Uniti/Uniti2 only)
Fixed: Updating from older versions (v4.3.0 or older) will retain new features (DSD, Tidal etc.)

Well, I think that has been very poorly communicated by Naim. Most of us would not have any idea about that distinction. There is a widely reported and discussed problem with Tidal streaming and a firmware update is released following reports that a fix was imminent. We have reasonably inferred it fixes the problem we have and it doesn’t. I’ve had to buy cables, dismantle systems to connect to a computer, put it all back together again, only to find the problem isn’t even addressed. It’s stinking hot here, so I’m going for beer!

Thanks for the update. It now appears from the discussion below that this update doesn’t address the Tidal drop-outs we are discussing in this thread. It hasn’t with my Uniti2 and UC2.

I think that has been very poorly communicated by Naim. Most of us would not have any idea that the fix is for some other file type/issue?. There is a widely reported and discussed problem with Tidal streaming and a firmware update is released following reports that a fix was imminent, and you’ve posted in this thread that a patch fix has been released. I have reasonably inferred it fixes the problem I have and it doesn’t. I’ve had to buy cables, dismantle systems to connect to a computer, put it all back together again, only to find the problem isn’t even addressed.

Maybe our definitions of drop outs and Tidal stop playing are different. I’ll go with Tidal stops playing just make it more clear but really what are the differences in the 2?

1 Like

To be fair to Naim, they did state quite clearly that this update was to enable streamers to play M4a files that Tidal have started using (apparently without warning) for some of their catalogue. No mention was made of changes to prevent dropouts.

If you need the stuff about pairing old Uniti remotes, I have got it printed out somewhere and could find it for you.
Best
David

Updated NDX na still Tidal drops out :worried:

The moment I read this I thought “this isn’t going to fix the Tidal stopping playing problem that we are experiencing”. Plus it would have been a record turnaround time from naim if it did indeed address and fix the problem.

1 Like

It’s very frustrating. The thread is about Tidal drop outs and Naim Support posted in the thread that a software update has been released, so one might expect the fix related to the issue discussed in the thread. Alas, no. So Tidal remains unplayable.

This is disappointing if the issue has not been corrected. Also it’s a real crap move on Naim’s part to post that update in this thread when apparently it has nothing to do with the issue that started this thread. Poor choice at best. Kind of sad honestly.

1 Like

Writing from Canada. I’ve had a muso for 9 months and use Tidal. I have a robust cable system for internet and 330Mbps download and 16 Mbps upload wifi speeds, but still needed to buy a Netgear Orbi 3000 router system early on in an attempt to stop the signal dropping. Hasn’t helped.

If I’d had even the slightest hint that the Naim muso would drop the signal even once an hour I wouldn’t have bought a Naim unit. My Naim muso drops the signal as many as 3 or 4 times an hour and then it’ll go 3 hours without dropping it. I can’t believe that in this day and age the company hasn’t resolved this issue (look back at forums and you’ll see dropping the signal has been an issue as far back as 2005). Where’s Naim on this issue. I’ve even got the Netgear satellite router connected to the muso by Ethernet with no improvement.

I did the firmware update to 1.8.00 this morning. My App version is 5.11.2.

Can anyone suggest a work around for this problem? Should the Naim muso be kicked up a notch and accept the faster 802.11ac rather than the pedestrian speed of the 802.11b and the slightly faster 802.11g? Should the muso be wired for 5Ghz rather than 2.4Ghz? Or accept both? Does anyone know what/if Naim is doing about this issue? Is the bitrate on the hifi platform from Tidal too high for the muso to handle?

Perhaps we should be asking Tidal if they’re the problem. Do people using Spotify have this problem of dropped signals?

I’m a very frustrated and unhappy customer who will be returning my unit to the vendor if I can’t get this resolved.

BTW while typing this my muso dropped the signal…

I updated my UQ2 and Uniti2 yesterday, but it hasn’t fixed the drop-outs. My dealer suggesting signing out and in on Tidal, but that hasn’t worked. It seems the issue is widespread following changes in file types from Tidal. As a workaround, I have 3rd generation Apple TVs connected through the optical connections to the UQ2 and Uniti2 and use Airplay from the Tidal iOS app or Mac desktop app, and have no problems with that set up. Playing Tidal to those same units through the Naim app is completely unstable and unusable.

I also have a Nova and that has no issues with Tidal from within the Naim app.

Thanks for the info, Mike_S. Do you find there’s a loss in sound quality if you play through the Tidal app instead of the Naim app? And do you know if there’s a quality loss if you play music using Bluetooth from Tidal to your Naim unit?

I’m no expert, but as I understand it, using the Tidal App and Airplay sends the audio over wifi to the Naim - so may reduce SQ and has a limited bandwidth. Using the Tidal App and Chromecast has a higher bandwidth, but I’ve had conflicting advice as to whether it’s streams over wifi, or through the Ethernet if connected. Whereas streaming from within the Naim app is direct from the web and on,y limited in bandwidth by the Naim model (older streamers versus newer).

Generally, Airplay is more stable than Chromecast too.

To my ears, using the Tidal App and the Airplay workaround is fine on the UQ2 and Uniti2 and the Naim app works with the Nova - so issue on that.

It seems to be a rapidly developing area of techno by with master quality streaming being introduced and the app interfaces catching up.

I can now verify too that the update does not help with Tidal stopping. My $100 Apple products and $150 Sonos Play 1 have no such issues but my $6500 Naim product does. Lol. Not sure who the dumba$$ is here. Naim for not being able to get this right or me for buying a product that can’t do what a cheap piece of Chinese made plastic can do.

2 Likes

I sense frustration?

the cisco catalyst switch can help for the drop outs. You can find a lot of threads on it. ( around 50 euros, second hand, refurbished ones).