Time for a change?

More Herbies, this time in brass at €16 a piece but that’s before tax and postage. I had no reason to go for stainless or titanium but didn’t look into it very hard.

I’ve an inkling that there’s a break in period. I first used these under some Thiels with metal drivers and the result was very harsh, especially on piano music, it seemed to be getting better by the end of the week. As this was in our second home the system was then unplugged for six months or so and by the time we came back no more harshness. That was a few years back but in response to Brexit we moved permanently in October 2020, complete with the main system, we’ve now been living here full time for over a year while I sell up in the UK and no hint of harshness. They did make positioning the NBLs very easy allowing mm movement without upsetting the suspension.

I for one will be looking forward to what you say when they return, and for many months afterwards!

The urge to change anything has been missing for several years since buying my preloved 552/500 with no DR. It’s now just over 5 years since the previous owner had the boxes serviced. DR is I think at least another 5 years, but it’s not really a money thing.

I will soon have a survey for ASHP and possibly solar afterwards, so who knows what effect that might have although the dedicated mains will go on a separate CU etc.

Phil

Has anyone used these under a Fraim in preference to Naim chips?

Have not.
Have chips under Fraim

I use these under my Fraim and speaker stands. Quick search on Amazon and you’ll find them. Definitely in the cheap camp. They come with a thin felt layer on them that came off reasonably easy and, if I’m careful, I can reposition the speakers on the wooden floor to find best position.

I will keep you informed Phil, I am in limbo at the moment, waiting for the kit to be sent to HQ and then waiting for the work to be done.

Its very quiet at home at the moment :unamused:

1 Like

@Polarbear,

Hi Nigel,

Just to add my thoughts to the question of speaker isolation, I had a slight problem with bass bloom on my MF9s, caused, I imagine, by the room acoustics and a suspended wooden floor.

I tried IsoAcoustics Gaia 1s under them, and the effect was instantly discernible … tighter, more tuneful bass, and, in addition to the side to side horizontal soundstage I was used to, I seem to gained a front to back soundstage too … … … imagination? Could be, but it’s very convincing.

They were available from AudioT on a sale or return basis, so might be worth a call?

A word of warning though. On the IsoAcoustics website there’s a calculator to work out what thread size / pitch is required for your particular speakers, but it’s not that accurate, and it took three attempts / deliveries to get the right thread pitch for the Neats sorted out.

Saying that, AudioT could not have been more patient / helpful.

Edit: When I contacted Bob Surgeoner to get the correct thread pitch, he mentioned he was trialling some Gaias in his demo room, was highly impressed, and was investigating the logistics of supplying them with some of his speakers.

Some recommendation!

I’m sorry but I must say that I disagree here :blush:

it is to me. I am using a 552/500 both DR - maybe that allows the streamer to show how good it really is.
That said, a bit over a year ago I was using 52/135s and when I used my streamer (ndx2/555drps) I still thought the streamer was a bit better on most recordings.
To each his own
David

1 Like

IsoAcoustics were very accommodating when I purchased a set. I needed a one-off, for them at the time, thread for my Kef Ref 1’s and they came up trumps. Brilliant service. Great product as well - totally killed bass boom and really tightened imaging. Best vfm for me ever.

3 Likes

Sound advice as always Dave, something I can investigate when the system is back and has settled down again, Talking of which I have had the nod from HQ and it’s started it’s journey south courtesy of Cymbiosis.

BTW, have I ever seen a photo of your magnificent system?

Et voila, Nigel.

Pre Gaias, I’m afraid.

12 Likes

Lovely. Enjoy!

My rgds

Phil P

1 Like

Hi David

Heartily seconded, much as I have fond memories of my CDS2 and NAT 01 in my then passive SBL system driven passively by the 52-135s.

The ND555 with one PS already takes no prisoners in a 500DR set-up. Many are happy with the second, in time.

Cheers

Phil P

Very nice Dave, reminds me of my system when I had the MF9’s. I assume they are Naim chips under your Fraim?

Not in that picture, but they will be after the next system strip down,

Hi PB… it’s how our senses get a refreshment - silence for a while is good.

As they say, absence makes the heart [ears] grow fonder.

I was sieving through the wonderful advice from friends here for your next steps… how exciting a new phase! If you, I’d just DR the 552-500, sit back and re-enjoy everything. Active drive is more boxes and more outlay. Personal preference and happiness.

The Statement will always be a nice and obvious future port-of-call. I like that we can actually upgrade to the S1 pre first which when mated to the 500DR will again be some rungs forward, happily for those of us who have already gone that route.

I’m in trouble. lol

My best rgds

Phil P

1 Like

So, what was in the above photo Dave?

Hi Phil,

Indeed, I am sure I will be ready for music again when the system is back again. Having to look after Karen in the last couple of months hasn’t given me much time for music, hence the opportunity to send the system off for a brush up. Probably a few years overdue but again with my health issues I just haven’t had the chance.

Once the system has settled down and I get on top of a couple of projects at work which should create funds for future upgrades in the future, exciting times for the bear after a few years of stagnation :blush:

Kind regards

PB

2 Likes

Sir, have a good rest. There’s no rush.

I wish Karen smooth recovery and you better health. I am trying to spend daily time walking about 5 to 7.5km - does wonders for the body after some months of regularity and heightens the senses including the ears.

Funny how I never felt that about you since the earlier Forum days - you are still here, Sir, longer than I. I took a near twenty year hiatus from hi fi. Gently easing back…

Happy to see you here and to read your posts whenever you can.

Take good care

With warm rgds

Phil P