Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Delighted :+1:

1 Like

Stephen, for best sound quality, donā€™t forget to turn off all unused inputs and outputs.

1 Like

Nice one Stephen glad you got there in the end

1 Like

Bravo ā€¦ Ok, come on tomorrow itā€™s snowing!

1 Like

Stephen, Iā€™m so pleased that itā€™s finally worked out, and that you are pleased with the results. It seems a long time since you sat here and we discussed the way forward. Just remember, if ever you get in a pickle going forward, you only have to ask. Things will go funny, as these things are computers. Just this evening my app said it wasnā€™t connected to the network, which it was, and therefore could not control my streamers. I know that the answer is to wait a bit and it will sort itself out. Which it did. This knowledge comes with time and experience.

And for now, enjoy the music!

1 Like

Ohi Stephen ā€¦ On what point do you keep the volume of your Nait5si amplifier? At 10.00 am?

1 Like

wonderful!!!

1 Like

Actually for the new streamers Naim recommend keeping all the inputs activated, for best sound quality, differently to the legacy stuff.
Best
David

1 Like

David is the recommendation ā€˜keeping all the inputs activatedā€™ located in a manual somewhere or is this something discussed at a demonstration or a show. I do not remember seeing this discussed in the start up guide. Thanks for your feedbackā€¦

1 Like

from hificritic review of the nd555, by Martin Colloms and Everardt Andrew.

1 Like

Interesting i was told by Mike from Naim at Audio show east to power up only the inputs/outputs you are using. Anyhow i could not hear any difference, best to try yourself.

1 Like

What a special place!!

Truly amazing piece of kit. I thoroughly recommend a ND5 XS 2 to anyone. Worth every single penny. The Naim app is a breeze to use, Asset too is very clear intuitive and concise. I have got Donny Hathaway on - Ghetto ā€˜liveā€™ - WOW thereā€™s party going on here tonight!!:smiley:

kindest regards!

8 Likes

You are so kind Nigel. Indeed it was you who said to stick to my guns and it was your advice of that I really trust. Hearing your system really opened my ears up and i new which way i was heading with a streaming solution from then on. Itā€™s very easy to get swayed about in the meantime, but no, it was mainly you (and Richard) who advised to keep going of which iā€™m glad i did. A big thank you to you both and am glad youā€™re back on this here forum. This place has not been the same without you!

4 Likes

you received a lot of support Stephen, also in the old forum. Itā€™s a bit of nightmare to install, but when all is working, itā€™s like a miracle. Having all the music in your hands, on one click. I lived the same when i first could listen to my nds. But had got perhaps 3 days headaches before.

2 Likes

Ohi Stephen ā€¦ A che punto tieni il volume del tuo amplificatore Nait5si? Alle 10.00?

Naim donā€™t have manuals for the new platform units. Itā€™s all on-line. But that is what I have read in the forum over the last few weeks.

Anyway the advice to listen and trust your own ears is undoubtedly the best. I suspect that for most people it will be almost or totally un-noticeable.

Best

David

1 Like

Hi FR,

I really do appreciate the advice & help given here and i know itā€™s been a bit prolonged and painful at times. I hope I can help others back as best as I can from what I have experienced during this learning process, especially those that may end up in the same situation as I have. Iā€™m glad all has come good in the end and that I can now just get on with listening to some music as intended.

I hadnā€™t realised how much I have missed listening to the radio until now. When I lived in London as a young lad the radio was my main source of music and I used to buy lots of records from the back of it. Iā€™m listening to Deep Vibes Radio now and it really is transporting me back to my youth, the days when I used to spend a whole weekend trawling through all the black market deep underground vinyl shops and spending all my hard earned cash. Great times!

2 Likes

Hi seakayaker,

my dealer did mention something about leaving all the inputs on for now as this sounds best but he also mentioned that this is just a temporary measure until a firmware update?

I must admit that I have a little play around and turned some of them off, I canā€™t say that I detect any difference so turned them all back on again, following my dealerā€™s suggestion.

1 Like

Hi Stephen. Iā€™m so glad youā€™ve finally finally got it going and have discovered the joy, flexibility and ease of streamed audio. All you need now is a Tidal hifi sub to complete the picture.

Iā€™ve been a bit grumpy at you occasionally, and youā€™ll forgive me for having one final thought on this. All of the problems that you encountered result from you not approaching this in a calm rational manner, which results in every step being a nuclear option of binning it or taking it back when the reality is that sitting back and thinking calmly about any problem usually resolves it. From having a complete hatred of Apple suddenly itā€™s great, easiest thing in the world. Iā€™m glad that there are people prepared to help you and that youā€™ve finally arrived at the destination, but it really would be easier - if not quite as entertaining - if your responses were more rational and thought through. As an example, virtually of your issues with Apple are a Google away - prevention is better than cure & all that.

When one day it fails to work - it will, thatā€™s a given - take a step back, establish what exactly has happened and then have a quick Google to see how to fix it. Whatever issue you might face with it, someone else will have already had that problem and posted a solution.The first fix for any network & connectivity issues is to switch things off, and then back on again in the right sequence.

Good luck with it, but if ever the phrase Keep Calm And Carry On was needed, itā€™s here.

ATB.

3 Likes

Thanks houdeholdNaim,

yes, iā€™m not the most patient person with computers, I do apologise for my rants and thanks for the reality check. I work on building sites as a price work bricklayer (in footings mainly) not the nicest of jobs, gruelling in fact (I hate it) but it pays the bills. Iā€™m too old for it now if iā€™m honest and some of the guys I work with? thatā€™s another story altogether, we wonā€™t go there. My problem is that most of the time iā€™m physically worn out (tired), so energy left for deep thinking is extremely sparse iā€™m afraid, no one elseā€™s fault, I know, but thatā€™s my situation. Listening to music through a good quality system is my coping mechanism and saviour, without it iā€™m done for. Itā€™s what keeps you going.

Iā€™m so glad that i have stuck to my guns (because i nearly swayed) and got this streamer, it really sounds fabulous and has far exceeded my expectations. Yes I have a few niggles at the minute, like some albums being in the wrong place and the some of the metadata needs sorting but iā€™ think iā€™ll leave that for another time. Iā€™m just glad iā€™m up and running now and with no work until Monday? iā€™m in for a very musical weekend indeed.

Thank you!

5 Likes