Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Stephen, I don’t think changing your amplifier will address this issue. You seem to be gracing the excitement of the 5si and perhaps your old active setup.

Back in the day I had a CD5x and a Nait 5i. When turned up loud it was edge of the seat and exciting. As I upgraded the excitement reduced, and was replaced by composure and control. Not only were the new components better in terms of getting to the heart of the music but they controlled the speakers better. I’d suggest that’s what’s happening with your system.

As the system improves you realise that the excitement wasn’t actually there but was due to the lesser system being at the edge of its performance envelope. I can turn mine up to immense volume and it stays perfectly controlled whereas with say the Nait is was ragged. Exciting but ragged. But losing that ragged excitement isn’t the same as loosing aggression when it’s needed. It’s just that you get closer to the music without the system getting in the way. IMHO of course.

2 Likes

Thank you Nigel, that does kind of make sense and I hear where you’re coming from.

Yes, since installing my XS2 amplifier the music as a whole has presented itself in a more controlled and refined fashion than what I have been used too in many years gone by, maybe a little too refined for my tastes, on occasions. This refinement has sparked me into this damn tweaking syndrome, something of which I don’t really like doing I might add, hence all my cables and switch malarkey in recent times.

I have now allowed myself to settle on a wireless solution, which has helped in that I can just get on with the task of listening to music all over again, without the urge of pricking around with cables.

My main issue for me at this time is to find a more controlled, tighter and less prominent bass, which i have sort of resolved through speaker positioning and getting rid of those damned switches. Trouble also is i love my Motive SX2s and it seems my neighbours do not. Most of my listening now is done through headphones. I can listen through my speakers but the volume is so low and the bass being so encroaching that I can’t really like enjoy my music like I used too. I have even looked at using loudspeakers isolators but these have been a disaster and are obscenely over priced and hideous to look at in my view.

The search goes on…

Other than that my ND5 XS 2 is sensational and I can’t wait for Naim to release their latest native Qobuz firmware.

2 Likes

I think we need to find you some new speakers. If there is still a lot of bass at low volume, to the extent that it’s irritating, the issue has to be there. I’ll have a think.

Last September I posted this. It’s as true now as it was then…

1 Like

You may like what a a Supernait does to your system, but my guess is that it will give you more bass and make your problem worse. So perhaps new speakers would be worth considering.

2 Likes

This suggests to me that for you in your room with your furnishings, and your music, and your tastes (and your relations with your neighbours) that the Motives are not the best match. So which other speakers out there that your dealer stocks which could be better? (he said, desperately trying to move the narrative on!)

1 Like

I’m thinking N-Sats/N-Sub, although there must be plenty of more recent equivalents that would be easier to find. The fact that you can turn off the sub, or set it to a choice of different profiles might be useful, depending of what you’re listening to, and whether or not your neighbours are at home.

I’ve had mine for just shy have four weeks now and I’m yet to turn it off(!) it’s been on non-stop and coupled with my XS3, im working through my Tidal playlists and rediscovering my vinyl collection - like others, I’m also looking forward to the Qubuz update.

Quick question (and apologies if wrong thread), I’m aware that I can add a power supply to my XS3, but am I able to also add to my streamer - thinking Flatcap ? I’m new to this but already want to max out my sound/enjoyment of my music :upside_down_face:

Crash, I edited your post. Please note forum rules with regard to unauthorised modifications, which includes 3rd party power supplies, SNAICS, Burndies etc… Their use will not give the performance Naim intended, will at best void any Naim warranty, and at worst may result in damage to Naim equipment.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane oops sorry, all noted - thank you.

1 Like

I am going to the Bristol Show this year so maybe some unexpected surprises will reveal themselves there. I’m thinking Neat Ministras. Audio t said they will ring me when they have them in.

The only thing to do is borrow another speakers and SN3 from a dealer and try at home.
The most difficult part in audio is to find the right trio : the right amp/ speakers combo to your room.
Or you can do the complete acoustic treatment of your room first. Not a thing all want to do…

2 Likes

The detail and sheer musicality that the ND5 XS 2 extracts is really something else, regardless of how it’s or anything that it’s connected to it. I’m so over the moon I have this player as a reference point, despite my bass issues. Worth every penny.

Crash, you can add a HiCap DR or FlatCap to your XS 3. What streamer do you have? I did not see your set up in your profile.

Is a FlatCap really worth going for? What about the HiCap in comparison?

Ok, I’ve seen a really decent FlatCap on fleebay from a very well considered dealer. I’m just tempted that’s all. Hence why I ask now? Will the bass tighten, tauten and become more like a NAIT3?

I have only used the HiCap and cannot speak to the FlatCap.

A search of ‘Flatcap’ produced lots of threads including the following: https://community.naimaudio.com/t/flatcap-2-with-xs-integrated/1791

2 Likes

Ok thanks Seakayaka.

Do not get a Flatcap without trying it. Some people are underwhelmed and others love it. It’s worth comparing the XS2 / Flat with XS3. One of the big improvements in the 3 is supposedly the bass area. It’s also worth thinking speakers are the same time. The PMC twenty.21 standmount is rather fine and may be a good choice, potentially with a Supernait 2. The Minstra is of course an option so I’d hold fire. Don’t rush.

1 Like

IMO no. One of my brothers has a Nait 3. I had a Nait XS and FCXS. The two Naits are very different. Just like your Nait XS2 is very different from the NAC92/ 90 set that you once had with active Credos.

1 Like