Turntable upgrade @Maslakoff

Ok never mind, Van BC

Oops I mean Victoria

Not really, east coast Canada

@SgtRock04 I let a local dealer know that I was looking for a used turntable in the Rega P6 range. A trade in became available this weekend without a cart. A price was quoted to me, I came back with a fair price asking him to include/install a decent used/demo MM cartridge. The Ortofon Black was the result. I’ll check it out this weekend and if happy, buy it.

Nicccccce!

My story is an example of how I went about getting a used table. You may be able to do something similar in your area. Main thing, be patient.

1 Like

DKNK, how has that new R6-Noir Ortofon worked out Brother? Bin waitn’ to hear

Ha, I went in to check it out. It turned out it was the previous model RP6 not the current P6. Listened to it, a P8 (current, used, Ania MC cart), and a MoFi Ultradeck (new, MasterTracker MM cart). I walked out with the MoFi. Sounded as good as the P8, better than the RP6, but better price. The listening gear was a Nova, forget the phono amp name, and Spendor A4 speakers

Ok, so is that Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Co.? & I’ve read about that TT a bit. I will likely be listening to at least 4 but, probably not in my own room, that is a problem for me. TT’s will likely be VPI Prime Scout, Clear Audio Concept, Rega P6 and/Or RP8, & Acoustic Solid(model #?). Hopefully soon, will let U know Man. Dean

you will probably find that the rp8 is the best in this quatuor. The vpi perhaps the nicest. I am curious of your feedback.

The RP8 might be priced out of my budget, 3-4K CDN & when U say VPI as nicest, do U mean sound or esthetics, please?

i mean sound. For the rega, i was thinking of the discontinued rp8, which can be found at good prices ex demo or still on some stocks.

sorry, i wanted to write esthetics, not sound, for the vpi.

Thought as much & will report back on TT auditioning, Thanks to all!

1 Like

Yes, this is the company that does the MoFi Original Master Recordings in vinyl and CD. I was surprised at how good the turntable (MoFi Ultradeck) sounded next to the Rega Planar 8. I listened to both for sometime at the dealer. As mentioned, I went with the MoFi, it was new and a better price than the used Planar 8. In Canada there are import costs that raise the price of Rega’s. MoFi is USA made. Worth a listen if you can. Your ears may or may not agree.

Great info! Thanks, I’m still searching & will report back, might be a few months tho?

Ok, here is the auditioning update; with my Nait XS 2 Amp , my humble Lehmann Black Cube phono pre, & Totem Forest Speakers, I listened to each of the 3 TTs for at least 45mins & had my own Vinyl there. 1.Rega Planar 8 with Ania cart, the clear winner with a very “Lush”, warm sound & very detailed(for my ears & could also be the Totems as they sounded pretty darn awesome). 2. Clear Audio Concept upgraded arm & cart(? but, $1k cost), not as lush sounding & maybe a little more accurate or clear/lean(?) sounding. Very nice just the same but, second to RP8. 3. Acoustic Solid Metal(German as well), Fancy looking, high polished Nickel ,large round disc. Sound was very disappointing & dealer admitted installing $250. Gold Ring cart on it, sounded dead to me, no lush, no detail etc. Sometime I have to consider about the first 2 TTs, Clear Audio is $600. cheaper & the looks of both are fine with me. Furthermore, I really want to fit in a demo of VPI Prime Scout, as I have heard/read & been told by several people about its sonic qualities. Lastly, this dealer was disappointed I didn’t slap $3-4K down after my 3.5hr demo in his store but, we had discussed the VPI before & he had been raving about it, now he was trying to get me off of it because it’s not back in stock until Sept? My money, my decision & I’m going to look around to see if I can demo a Prime Scout before I purchase my new TT. Thoughts? SgtRock/Dean

2 Likes

Oh Boy!! I’ve made the Plunge! I decided that waiting a full summer season to audition the VPI Prime Scout isn’t worth it after hearing the new Rega Planar 8! Ordered with Ania MC cart. SgtRock

5 Likes

I have 2 Sondeks. Wish I could try a tms2 at home, tho.
I still have a Phonosophie P3 but eventually I like the Sondek better.

I think I could easily live with P8 with Apheta II if I were to simplify my set up.

3 Likes

Congrats!