Uniti Core Resetting

A very dangerous response that may need a Public Inquiry.

I think everyone already knows that this was caused by a Rovi metadata lookup change which meant that many metadata tasks were queued by the Core and occasionally it needed restarting to get them all back in order. This was interpreted by some people as the Core “waking up”, which it wasn’t of course.

It was nothing to do with the app anyway.

A TIP in advance: Do not listen to music with the Uniti Core via the SPDIF BNC socket, the Uniti Core sounds much better when it transmits the music via LAN cable (preferably using a Netswitch English Electric SW8) to a streamer or streaming bridge. In my case, the LUMIN U1 Mini receives the data from the Uniti Core. Then the Uniti Core sounds a class better than via the BNC socket. When I used this, there were constant dropouts in the music playback from the Uniti Core.

Regarding the far too many software problems with the NAIM UNITI CORE: I’ve had the device for two years, it sounds very good and I’m happy with it. But the software is a disaster: When ripping, it does NOT find 60 to 70 percent of the CD covers. Even with a CD from the NAIM label.

You can’t select individual tracks when ripping, and you can’t delete individual tracks after ripping, only the WHOLE CD. Unbelievably bad! I have complained about this in emails to Naim and the importer in 2022: NO reply. Until today.

Even worse: Imported music files cannot be edited. And NOT delete them. It’s a tragedy. I have also complained about this in emails to Naim, no response. The software has NOT been improved.

NAIM should only build amplifiers WITHOUT software, they can do that. They can’t do complicated devices with software. And they NEVER will, let alone provide customer service on software issues. They don’t even read this forum, if they did they would know how bad their software is. I will never buy another NAIM device. This company has disqualified itself as a custo

This company has disqualified itself in a customer-hostile way.

You should read the FAQ about the Core on the forum here.

You can edit and delete imported music files using a PC or Mac. This is all explained at length in Naim’s own support area and in the Forum FAQs.

Regarding the art work on rips, there has been a problem for sometime because Rovi made a change to their metadata base but this was resolved by Naim with the recent Core firmware update - you should have 2.5.6 now.

Naim technical support don’t usually reply to emails asking for feature changes. But they do usually reply to requests for assistance. You have to email support@naimaudio.com

1 Like

Dear Mr. David Hendon. Thank you for your kind reply. You wrote: I could edit and/or delete imported music files via PC or Mac. I have tried x times and it has never worked. With the app/software Evertag on my iPadPro and on my MacbookPro.

Which software works for editing/deleting? I don’t know any other. Please let me know which one works. My Uniti Core is of course updated to firmware 2.5.6. What else?

You also sent me a link to the Naim community, where I am a registered member and have read all about Naim Uniti Core. I clicked on your community link and read it. Result: Nowhere did I find a single sentence about how and with which software you can edit and delete imported music files.

Are you a joker, or were you just mistaken?

I did send my reply to support of naim audio.

My heartfelt request: Help me while I’m still alive.

Dibus480710,

You are not alone, i also think Naim is very weak regarding SOFTWARE.
I suspended an audition of 222-300-252; i am not my spending my money on products that have “fragile” SOFTWARE and badly supported.

I need to finish ripping my CDs before i get rid of the Core. It will take me some months, i can’t rip more than 2 consecutive CDs without a full reset / restart of the core, which is annoying. I am told that i should send the unit to the UK…not in the mood for this,

Good luck
Rui Marques

Dear Rui.

Thank you for your encouragement. I’m not sending the Uniti Core to Naim either. They can’t improve anything. Only via firmware update. And that doesn’t work either. Dilettantes.

What is a 222-300-252?

With best wishes from Dirk

Von meinem iPadPro gesendet

Hi Dibus480710,

NewClassic 222-300-250.

I am told that my Core probably has a hardware issue.
I don’t believe it, sometimes after 15, 30, 40 minutes it starts to rip the CD.
This is not hardware but software related.

Regards
Rui

Basically you can use any software, so there is no need to specify anything in particular.

To delete a file you just look on your home network and the Core appears as a hard disc with two folders - Music and Downloads. You can’t edit the Music folder because this is locked and you have to use the Naim app to edit that. But you can do whatever you like in the Downloads folder. So if you want to delete a downloaded file, you just delete it, like any file. Which software you use to edit the metadata depends on what operating system you are using.

But if you can’t see the Core on your network, then no editing software will work. So that’s your first problem to solve.

There are many people, thousands maybe, who use the Core and the software works for them. But your Core apparently doesn’t work, so it probably has a hardware fault. So I suggest take it back to your dealer for exchange or repair.

1 Like

The Uniti Core is actually even worse than previously described. Since I’ve had it, it doesn’t eject the CD after ripping, although this is exactly what the manual says. An enquiry to Naim remained unanswered.

Today I discovered the following software defect: I have several different versions of some albums (release years or CXRDs or hybrid SACDs). In this case three have already been ripped, all 3 I have given different name suffixes so the software and I can tell them apart. Now I have ripped a 4th version of the exact same album. Consequence: the Uniti Core software has overwritten one of the specially labelled/edited versions of the album without asking when ripping, thus deleting one of the older versions.

What I do in such situations is change the name of the album which is already on the Core. Typically I’ll add ‘(old)’ or similar after the title. I have had the problem you describe, but that’s only been where I’ve forgotten to change the title first.

Yes, I exactly did in the same way. But the album, which was on the core, were deleted.

Unfortunately renaming the album in the rip doesn’t help because the Core works by the CD identity code not the metadata or filenames. And if you rip a CD a second time, the new rip always overwrites the old one.

That is exactly the case: The software in the Uniti Core (or that of Rovi, Brainz & Co?) ignores the metadata. And can this be programmed differently, better? I believe: yes. But Naim doesn’t do it. Why? Presumably a fiddle. Or is it not possible after all? I have no idea. Maybe someone will enlighten us…

Hi davidhendon,

I took the core to the dealer, for an audition of 222-300-250.
It worked fine , 6 consecutive CDs ripped with no problem.
The issue must be related to my network at home.

Regards
Rui

1 Like