Uniti Core unable to view music

nothing happening, not sure if the rebuild is working or how to check, there isn’t any progress indicator

Normally the only sign is that if you go to the album list in the app, it’s empty and then suddenly 10-20 albums appear, and then another ten etc. For the number of albums you have on there it would take maybe 30 mins to complete, with more and more appearing as they are indexed.

would that be to complete all of the albums or just some?

30 mins to complete say 800 albums…

been an hour nothing to view on the app… all still on pc

This is all beyond my experience!

Do you have a spare HDD that you could sacrifice to trying that as an internal store and rip a few CDs? Or also you could try telling the Core not to use your existing HDD as store and then try to tell it to make it a share. The Core isn’t fussy about HDDs. It’s just that people normally pick very long life ones, but most anything should work.

i’ll have a go at them tomorrow, would a usb stick external hard drive work?

Yes. It should do.

I did another factory reset and added in a usb as music store and selected do not use as store for the existing drive, ripped a few cd’s and could view them PC and app. however the previous music was now not viewable over network on pc. Did reset database and interestingly the cd’s i had just ripped remained viewable. throughout . restarted app no change, did another factory reset and selected existing internal drive as a store but still cannot view the music on it thru app but it is now viewable on pc.
I’m not sure of a few things now…
Is the factory reset working?
Is the rebuild database working?
At no point did it offer me the choice to make a shere, and scanning still does not find any shareable drives.
Both the internal and the usb drives are available as music stores.
looks more likely that it needs restore from backup with a format of the existing internal drive.

If the internal disc is not selected as a store, then it won’t be viewable over the network because your PC is looking at a disc shared by a Linux pc (the Core).

But it’s interesting that something else (your USB drive) works as a store.

This is feeling like a random Core fault, or possibly a random HDD fault. If you decide to do a restore from backup then I would definitely suggest a reformat and start from scratch when you do the restore.

But it’s odd that the pc can see the music on the HDD but the Core can’t.

Best

David

Did you make any progress Rob?

Best

David

Hi David
nothing else new, been hanging on in the hope that Naim Support would come back to me with a simple fix, although I doubt you have missed anything. If they don’t come back by close of play today I’ll probably bite the bullet and do restore from backup.
One other thought, Recently I’ve been adding some high res/cd quality downloads to the Core after having tagged them with Mp3tag, of the last 10 albums I have added to the Core (all tagged mp3trag) 8 have been added successfully, it was just after the last 2 that this problem occurred… would that have any relevance? From my PC I can view and play these last 2 (as well as all others).
Cheers
Rob

I have had the same problem on mine twice. This occurred when I has SCSI hard drive fitted to my Core, before I changed it to a SSD drive. Whether that is relevant or not, I cannot tell you. However, both occasions occurred when I had put the Core into deep sleep mode and disconnected power for a few hours. This being due to cleaning or reorganisation of units. Like you, I tried everything to recover, but alas had to concede to defeat, and just restore from backup. A bit of a pain, but once going it runs by itself. Just find yourself something to do for a few hours or leave it running overnight. Whether this is coincidence or not, since changed to SSD drive, I have performed a deep sleep and mains disconnect three times and upon reconnection and power, the app has always shown the albums ripped in music folder. I have never used the downloads folder. So my conclusion was that it was a intermittent glitch with the SCSI drive or the Naim app / Core firmware. Sorry I could not be the bearer of better news.

1 Like

I don’t think that has any relevance. I suspect most likely it’s a HDD problem. I don’t think it could be the app because you can easily start that completely afresh, by deleting it and reinstalling it (I think you said you have tried that?).

Good luck.

Best

David

A deep sleep or disconnect for a few hours shouldn’t cause this at all. If it were common then there would be more reports! As I said in my other reply a moment ago, the app can’t know that the Core has been disconnected. All it could possibly see changed is the IP address given to the Core by the router, but a changed IP address is easily dealt with by refreshing the rooms screen in the app, and anyway if the app can’t see the Core then it won’t show the home page, it shows “no rooms found”.

You said that changing to an SSD fixed it for you. That’s good but I suspect that changing to a different HDD would also have fixed it. Anyway it’s useful to know of the problem you had. Maybe there is a Core firmware issue here…

Best

David

Hi David,
The app always found the Core, when powered up from deep sleep mode. Trying to think back now, I think the exact problem was that no album art would show in the app for any album. However, this has not occurred since changing drive and no changes have been made to my network. Maybe you are aware of a firmware or app upgrade that corrected this, which I missed?

There have been lots of app updates and some Core firmware updates in the last year or so. I don’t know when you had this problem but anyway I don’t recall any of the updates being for missing art work. Normally the recommendation for that problem would be to clear the cache in the app and/ or download the art work from the Core again. If you delete the app and reinstall it then it should bring all the artwork down from the Core to the app.

If it happens again, then do come here and tell us about it and one or other of us users will try to help diagnose the issue.

Best

David

Thank you, David. I remember doing all that you advised, but could not clear the problem. I also remember that when I initially purchased the Core, doing deep sleeps and mains disconnection and all being well upon re-boot of Core, in app. I have always installed latest version of app and firmware upon release from Naim. Maybe it was the drive change or software update that alleviated this problem, or a combination of both. I can only say from my professional perspective, I have seen many examples of this type of phenomenon over time, that defy logic.:blush:

1 Like

I agree with you there!

Best

David

1 Like

I have always powered the Core down after use, if that would likely make any difference. This is partly to increase hard disk life.