Uniti Core unable to view music

It’s intended to be left on, in network sleep. The HDD shouldn’t mind being run constantly, especially if you use the recommended one. Of course a SSD runs cooler and quietly.

But turning it off after use shouldn’t cause any problem.

Best

David

Tried to restore from backup (to existing store) got to about 60 files of 17880 then failed “error”.
On the app some of the favourites Albums/Tracks/Playlists are listed / visible now without artwork and an encircled ! with … after it, the tracks are not playable. There are still no results in any of the main folders albums / artists etc.
I’m wondering if I should / how I format the existing store or configure as new prior to restoring from backup again.

I think I said several times in the thread (!) that I thought you should format the HDD and start again before restoring from the backup. You don’t have anything to lose.

I’m not quite sure how you get the Core to format it, but if you deselect the existing Music Store and then go in again and Configure a new store using the same HDD, I think the Core should offer to format it and you say yes.

When you have done that you could rip a couple of CDs, check all is ok then rebuild the index and see whether it loses your newly scanned discs. If not then carry on with the restore. And if it does lose them then I think the options are try a new HDD or SSD or get the Core sent back to Naim for attention.

On the basis that it’s quicker and less trouble, personally I would probably try a new HDD or SSD and only send back to Naim as a last resort.

Best

David

Struggling here, deselected existing music store at which point it allowed reformat then did a hard reset of core and killed app. Started and configured store. tried to restore from backup. It didn’t like restore to existing store which it had just made and retore to new store meant it reformatted drive again. When it finally got through that it said the contents of this backup xxx will be restored here xxxx. When I select Restore Now it displays Backup Status
Status No Backup store
Last operation Restoring
Files to process and processed 0
Backup store used Naim xxxx etc

There doesn’t appear to be any activity on backup drive and nothing moves on Backup status.

I’m not sure if this is whats supposed to happen but nothing appears to be being repopulated, would it be worth ringing Naim support?

How long did you leave it, when it started to backup. Depending on the size of your backup, it takes awhile scanning the backup, before you start to see activity in the app, from what I remember.

quite a while, I just tried again restore to existing store and it allowed me to choose the new one that had just been reformatted “the contents of this backup Naim xxx will be restored here Naim xxxx” on restore now backup status display “error” on top line. So I’ve gone back and asked to restore to new store and its formatting again… shoots up to 60% then slows, now “confirm to start restore process” backup to internal, restore now at bottom and it’s back to Status No Backup store
Last operation Restoring
Files to process and processed 0
Backup store used Naim xxxx etc
No apparent activity on backup drive… how long do I leave it?

I would leave it an hour or so. The restore of a TB of music will take ages, like 24 hours or something. But you should start to see it counting up in the monitor.

You could by all means call Naim support. You could get them to read through this thread to see what you have tried.

But I still think that you either have a HDD fault or a Core fault, more probably an HDD fault.

Best

David

Is that an hour before I’m likely to see any activity on backup drive, backup status on app or repopulated music?
It still says in backup status “Status No Backup store”, I don’t get that…

If it says no backup store then it’s not going to work…

in the previous step it said restore from this backup store Naim xxxx to this Music store XXX

Yes it’s very confusing. It’s not working right obviously. If it were me I would probably already have ordered an SSD on Amazon Prime by now…

Best

David

That’s well over £500, can’t justify that at the mo.
Any ideas on how to give it a “jump start”?

If you have followed the procedure in the support pages for the Core, then mine did not take long to start seeing activity, a minute tops for 500 albums on 2TB drive. I agree with David, something not right here, either drive or Core. As for jump starting, here is what I would try. Delete your existing music store on Core. Create new music store by formatting drive in Core. Now rip one CD by the Core. Check that this is successful. Now try a backup restore to the new music store containing one ripped CD. The only other suggestion I have is that your backup is somehow corrupted. Can you connect it to PC and check the integrity of the backup drive. Forgot to add, total backup time for mine was between 5 to 6 hours, all in Wav format.

done the delete / reformat store. Have ripped cd’s to core and reset database to check that they return.
Could try rip and use a small usb as a backup .

It is just a process of elimination. I know how frustrating these things can be and it is easy to get confused, if not following a methodical procedure. The USB idea you propose sounds good.

just checked the backup, I can access and play music on pc from there MQ and Downloads folder

Why not try another hdd. You will be very probably sorted from this nightmare. If still not, then send it to Naim.

Whatever you do, please, first just get rid of those Powerline adaptors. They cause so many issues.

The recommended by Naim , Seagate 4 to hdd : 80 pounds