Upgrade LP12 or go RP10/aphelion

Kore and Karousel are worth the wait.

Radikal 1 now available 2nd hand at relatively decent prices.

All 3 are game changers. Power supply gave the greatest reveal.

If you don’t like the final version ( you will!) then you can always follow the Rega path.

I had Rega 2, then Rega 3 prior to LP12 (1989).

I still have the LP12…nuff said.

2 Likes

It’s being offered for $10,500 now, quite a good buy probably.

Mine would be better ha :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

Long-term Kiwi LP12 spinner here.

I would recommend that you don’t move-off the LP12 until you have heard all that it can do.

There is a tendency for many to believe that the more an LP12 upgrade costs, the more impact it makes on improving the sound.

Depending upon which upgrade we are talking about, this can be true.

But there are also some very cheap and simple tweaks and upgrades that make an enormous difference - for the better!

After more than 20-years of dicking around and experimenting, here’s my personal…

LP12 TOP-10 UPGRADE PRIORITY LIST:

1. AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS
2. HIGH WATTAGE DC LPS / PIMPED SPEED CONTROL UNIT / DC MOTOR / MOTOR-MOUNTING
3. BEARING / CORRECT LUBRICANT
4. SUB-CHASSIS
5. JOINTLESS SILICONE BELT / LOOSE ADJUSTMENT
6. UTTERLY RIGID PLINTH-TO-SUPPORT BOND
7. LIGHT & RIGID TURNTABLE SUPPORT
8. TONEARM / UNBROKEN PHONO CABLE / PHONO CONNECTORS
9. CARTRIDGE / PHONO STAGE (LOADING) PARTNERSHIP
10. TURNTABLE MAT

• I have highlighted in bold, those upgrades that I feel give the very best bang for $$$!

Can I encourage you to try the silicone mushrooms?

This one upgrade - alone - transforms the LP12 into the turntable that I always hoped it could be.

Once you understand what the mushrooms do - and what they prevent in the LP12 workings - you will understand why they are at the top of my list.

Google AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS to find loads of threads about it

4 Likes

My grand dad had such brush to use for his shaving duties which were done precisely at 09:30 after morning coffee.
It seems as your using it to dampen the top cabinet on the little phono box just on the right of LP12 :sunglasses:

1 Like

As you’ve probably guessed, I use the brush to give my LPs a quick dust-off before taking them for a spin! :sunglasses: :+1:

For a long time I was hesitant to try the mushrooms, for no reason other than the principle of the matter. Since it’s cheap and easy to reverse, one day I decided to give it a shot. It didn’t take long to realize the springs were gone for good, not only the deck sounds better all across the board, but it’s become so easy to use, I can finally reach for the arm lift without fear or concern. The LP12 sounds good in spite of the springs, not because of, and much better without them.

1 Like

@llatpoh76 said

“The LP12 sounds good in spite of the springs, not because of, and much better without them…”

I simply could NOT have said it any better than that. Bravo! :joy:

1 Like

Is a LP12 with an ARO/Armageddon a sensible buy in 2024?

1 Like

Sure Mike, why not? It’s a classic combination that, provided it’s in tip top shape and has been well looked after, should work as well today as it has always done.

There’s a whole sub-warren of rabbit holes you can fall down, such as whether the cirkus is preferred to the non-cirkus bearing with the full armageddon, replacement of the standard Linn feet with Naim CDS metal feet (be careful to shim them perfectly!) etc…

2 Likes

There’s a well specified LP12 with the Aro/Armageddon for sale here, and I’m not that familiar with how it compares to my current set-up. It would be cheaper than upgrading my current LP12 (Cirkus, Valhalla, Ittok II), but the sub-warren of rabbit holes holds me back a bit.

It was somewhat in jest - there are far fewer rabbit holes than if you stick with the Linn only route.

1 Like

Well Mike as you know one of my Linns is with the ARO and Armageddon

Could you just remind me what are the other components of the one you are looking at thanks?

1 Like

Walnut Plynth, Karosel, Trampoline 2, Keel (modified for Aro), 2005 Armageddon, Tiger Paw elevator, all new build 2021 by Peter Swann. Lyra Titan i MC Cartridge.

Stageline already sold, so would run with my Heed Quasar phono stage.

1 Like

Bloody hell that’s a fully loaded LP12 ( although I don’t know the cartridge) albeit what’s the phono stage being used ?

Some experts will say the Armageddon PS is the limiting factor and the Lingo 4 is better. But to me there is just something about the ARO/Geddon combo that really works well .

The Linn PS’s give a bit more direct detailed sound signature with the Urika phono, some even say it’s a bit on the cold side. The Superline/SupercapDR with the Geddon gives a warmer sound but with a bit of musical swing to it but maybe less detail.

They are just different and both are great for me , if one day I have to choose I don’t know what I’ll do

The ARO being a unipivot arm takes some getting use to as it sort of flops over the place ha so keep the booze at bay. It’s a delicate beast and should really be checked out completely, I always worry the nylon “fishing tackle” might break

Where is the Sondek ? Are you able to have a listen to it and with what equipment ?

2 Likes

Oh stageline - you might need something a little better than that I would think although stageline Ok

Not familiar with your phono

1 Like

Sorry, it was a Superline he sold (he was using a SC with it).

I think the Tiger Paw elevator addresses the need to manually cue?

It’s in Auckland, so would need to drive down and bring it home. He’s having a big sell down (552 DR/500 non-DR both gone, but I don’t need those).

This would likely be cheaper than adding Lingo 4, Karousel, Kore and Trampolin 2 to my Valhalla/Cirkus.

The Armageddon is 2005, do they need recapping?

Yes at $10k - $10.5k it would be cheaper

ARO Keel is new $6k and ARO ( if you can locate one in this part of the world) would be say $2k-$3k

Can you hear it with his 552 which I think you have ?

Be careful on the ARO though should be checked over by expert ? And hopefully he has the original box

Trust me - whatever way you go it’s a rabbit warren and you’ll end up bankrupt ha :crazy_face:

I’ve never compared my 2 Sondeks side by side through same gear so who knows

Bit of fun

2 Likes

Having said all of that I spent a week over Easter down in the Southern Highlands listening to the LP12 40th Klimax with Urika/ Radikal 1 PS

Must say it’s rather excellent

1 Like

I think he sold it, and he sold the 500, so it’s not an option. Yes, I have a 552 with a 300, both DR.

The box is included. Well, the transport, as much as setting up, I’m not sure. I’m sure it was well set up, but if I get it here, it’s anyone’s guess after that😎

I have to go to bed, knackered after sailing with 17 girls.

1 Like