Upgrade LP12 or go RP10/aphelion

Get a good sleep you have a lot of thinking to do

1 Like

Not really, no.

One other thing to consider; how much do you need 45rpm day to day? The Armageddon NAPSA is 33 1/3rpm only. You can use the 45 rpm adaptor, but it’s not as easy as flicking a switch.

Last comment for the night / when you wake up in morning

Just saw it - I think a great buy at the right price

Didn’t realise cartridge was that expensive

1 Like

The specs are on the forum in a few posts, it is literally nylon monofilament, fishing line, of 0.08mm (corrected!) diameter IIRC, so if your worry is what to replace it with then a search on here to confirm the diameter from the engineering diagram is all you need to do. If your worry is what happens if it breaks whilst playing then maybe preventative maintenance is worth thinking about :slight_smile:

Thanks gthack - much appreciated

2 Likes

Yes I’ve got the adapter Richard but don’t like using it - bit too difficult to get on and off

1 Like

Another thing to check is the Lyra Titan I, it’s a 2006 cart, 4,5 k at that time.
Rebuilt in the recent years ?

1 Like

I had a firm “no” from Mrs Mike. Never mind, the old fruit box is still a delight.

5 Likes

Ha ha - don’t blame her !!

Over time just sneak in the upgrades you mentioned, no hurry Mike

How many vinyl albums do you have currently?

A better strategy indeed.

320, all freshly cleaned now, plus 1 new release to order.

1 Like

Don’t bother, I will call her tomorrow. :joy:

3 Likes

Mike, I also have an LP12 of a similar configuration to yours but with an original Lingo. Just had it serviced and a new arm lift fitted to the Ittok (to your point about Linn upgrades being expensive - over £300 for an arm lift). Dealer recommended the Karousel upgrade which I had done (about £1,000 - obviously Linn upgrades not proportional to size or what?) and it made a big difference. Worth checking with your dealer if they think the Lingo 4 would make a bigger difference than the Karousel. Have just ventured in to Naim with an NDX2 (sounds great) after many decades of debate (original dream in the 70s was a ‘six pack’ of Naim 100 mono blocks driving a pair of Isobariks). Ended up with a pair of Klimax mono blocks driving a pair of Kabers. Linn power amplification was never that great (apart from these Klimaxes). Think Naim probably won that one over the years. Hope these meanderings help a bit
Duncan

3 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but what are your TTs sitting on?

See his profile then system pics

have to say I have gone full circle, just loving lps again and lost the love for digital. Vinyl sounds so dynamic and real and of course 1st editions sounding better than any remasters. :heart:

13 Likes

Completely agree! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a great sounding spec Mike. As others mentioned, you may want better than a a Stageline can do in order to hear the Lyra properly do its thing, but given that, the whole thing could be costless to you in the end: How much could you get in NZ for your used ND555? :wink:

1 Like

The LP12 was withdrawn from the latest auction, though it had a fixed price offer of NZ$8.5k before that. A great price really, but I’ve decided I don’t want to go that far with my vinyl set-up, with my ND555 being the top source.

As much as the Aro is well regarded, I felt that it looked very fussy for setting up and using, and the Ittok IV just had a classic look and musical presentation that I really like.

I’m going to stick with Valhalla LP12 now (I have a Heed Quasar phono stage with that), and will only consider a Lingo 4 if funds allow.

6 Likes

You have a LP12, its great and sounds awesome, upgrades can come later on if you need them.

For now sit back crack open a beer and enjoy those tunes

:beers:

5 Likes

It took a Klimax Radikal for me to move on from the Armageddon

2 Likes