Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

Oh dear that’s frustrating. I have so many editions of this album but would still humbly say that this is one one of those rare occasions of 60s music where stereo is superior

Steve, sorry if naive question but I am confused, have these been remastered and reissued?
Are they by Mobile Fidelity?
I could really do with a good copy of B on B.
Thanks

There the Sony legacy versions available on Amazon at the moment

Thanks, will take a look.:+1:

1 Like

You can never have too many “Blonde On Blondes”!

Sadly there are couple more since this was taken.

12 Likes

I finally received the Intervention Records reissue of Joe Jackson’s Night and Day - many thanks to Scott Nangle for the typically bulletproof packaging.

It’s a favourite album from back in the day so couldn’t resist giving it a spin as soon as the opportunity presented itself to do so. First impressions: wonderful heavyweight tip-on gatefold sleeve. The pressing is immaculate and the sound, predictably excellent thanks to an analogue cut by Kevin Gray. My only slight reservation is that the original was so good, it’s difficult for the new one to better it in any significant way. Recommended then if you don’t have an original copy, or yours is worn out, or you just want the lovely tip-on jacket.

9 Likes

Joan Baez’s self titled album on Vanguard from 1960. This the recent Craft Recordings reissue. A lovely heavyweight tip-on sleeve and immaculate, silent pressing quality from RTI. Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. I have a much used and abused copy of this that belonged to my parents. I’m not even going to try to do a comparison; This is superb. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Where did you order that from Richard?

It came from the States via eBay.

1 Like

1 Like

Am I alone in despising that Original Master Recording excrescence across the top of the sleeves? Not only is it ugly, it’s as if MoFi is putting itself before the artist, the sound before the music.

1 Like

Today we call It Mofi or Mfsl but back then those were simply OMR… for a couple of generations their records were synonimous of Quality Records, eventually we could get High quality pressings, an audiophile dream at the end of the '70s… Therefore that strip became a guarantee seal we got accustomed to. You could be right but for the above reasons I cannot blame them for putting their brand ahead, It meant a lot for generations and frankly speaking, many Records are really reference editions… Just my opinion, obviously :grin: Best whishes for a decent year :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What about the one-step of Eldorado…?

On Richard’s recommendation, I found it on the River by searching with the Craft ref number CR00117.

1 Like

Which artist Richard ?

Electric light orchestra. The one-Step MFSL of Eldorado has been on pre-order with a number of retailers for the best part of last year.

1 Like

I don’t know that artist. But here, they said they are not sure it will be produced.

(list last updated on October 23, 2020)

New Releses & Coming Soon to Vinyl Gourmet Online Store:

• All Blue Note Records Tone Poet Series Vinyl LP’s (Joe Harley / Kevin Gray)

• All Verve / Universal Acoustic Sounds Series Vinyl LP’s (Chad Kassem / Kevin Gray / Sterling)

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultradisc One-Step (MFSL MoFi UD1S 45rpm) coming soon:

• Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn’t Stand The Weather MFSL UD1S UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP Box

• Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um MFSL UD1S UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP 180g Vinyl Box Set

Possible future UD1S Releases (not confirmed):

Blood, Sweat And Tears - Blood, Sweat And Tears (second album)
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin’ Simon

Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Crosby, Stills & Nash ‎– Crosby, Stills & Nash

Boston - Boston (probably not happening)

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin’ Else (probably not happening)

Electric Light Orchestra ‎- Eldorado (probably not happening)

I meant to post this last week I bought a reissue of Curtis Mayfield’s ‘There’s No Place In The…’ I’ve been after a vinyl copy for a long time and was waiting for a Part 2 box set and then I saw this copy for gulp £38 + p&p and more than that it was done be Charly who I only remember doing not great CD reissues but I read the right ups and discovered that this release at least was subcontracted out to a very good German company.

Well gave it a spin and pleasantly surprised the vinyl is dead flat and comes in a nice lined inner and is very quiet it’s not up to Tone Poet standard but it’s as good as the Rhino reissues.

2 Likes

This reissue of Chet Baker Plays Vladimir Cosma on the French Larghetto Music label is an excellent pressing dead flat, dead quiet and sounds great. I’ve not hreard an original so cannot compare but @ £18.99 from WHSmiths it’s a bargain.

4 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention :+1: