Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

Thanks Richard/Neil…I’ll get my order in, added bonus is the nice gatefold :grinning:

I will do the same, also after Nursery Cryme, original or remastered?

IMG_0827

I recently splashed out on the first two Dire Straits albums as issued by Mobile Fidelity. These things don’t come cheap and I’d wondered if they would be worth the cost. Both albums sound wonderful and are big improvements on my first pressings. Nicely packaged as well. On balance, I think they are worth the money if you are into vinyl and like these albums. Certainly, these releases and the mofi release of Carole King’s Tapestry have encouraged me to try more mofi albums.

8 Likes

Just been spinning this.
If you love the Blues get this, If you love Reggae get this, if you dont like either still get it…

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you like the Staple singers, there is the new Stax reissue, Go come with me. Remastered from original tapes.
8 albums of them. Around 140 euros.
I just ordered an original lp from Staple Singers, after having listened to some tracks of the Stax collection on YouTube. Maybe I will order it too.

3 Likes

IMG_0873

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds. This is a new purchase of the Analogue Productions 2017 45rpm vinyl reissue and it sounds wonderful. I only had this album on CD and this is a major step up from that CD. It’s mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio and pressed at Quality Record Pressings. It is a beautifully packaged gatefold LP with what I think is called a tip-on sleeve. It also comes with top quality rice paper inner sleeves.

Oh, and the music isn’t too shabby either!

4 Likes

Are the latest Dylan vinyl reissues worth getting. Wife wants Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 and Nashville Skyline or search out early presses

I have several of the Mobile Fidelity reissues.
All are fabulous - and better than the originals (in those cases where I had them).

I have to start reading whole sentences and paragraphs. :rofl::joy:

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ve just been revisiting this on my new set up and I have to say it’s sounding much better.

I’ve had it over a year now and was a little disappointed and have played it only once or twice but I played it right through and am really happy with it. You have to really love this record to shell out this type of money but it’s better than the Abbey rd copy I had.

Also one record had a large scuff mark which doesn’t effect the sound and one inner cover had imperfections.

1 Like

I have wondered about the title selections for some of these One Steps. Great music unarguably, but not neccesarily particularly noteworthy recordings for such lavish “audiophile” treatment.

The standard Dylan Sony Legacy cuts you can buy off Amazon etc are excellent. Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling and are all analogue sourced.

2 Likes

That’s a bit ‘snobby’ so What’s Going On one of the greatest Soul Records of the 20th Century isn’t noteworthy enough for ‘audiophile treatment’ what ever the hell that is.

So obscure Jazz that hardly anyone including half the people that bought the ‘audiophile treated’ copy will ever listen to more than once is noteworthy enough.

Not snobby at all. I agree that it’s one of the greatest Soul records you’ll get no argument from me on that score. It was in fact yourself that made the point on another thread that, to paraphrase, that no matter how many thousands you spend on a system, sound quality “starts and ends with the source recording”. I believe that applies even more importantly to the record, no matter how much you spend on an expensive mastering/pressing, a lacklustre recording is still a lacklustre recording. Some of the sources in terms of recording quality being used for these over the top expensive One Steps are not IMO so great.

As you accuse me of being “snobby”, In my view its elitist over priced “audiophile” product that is in fact snobby. Far better and worthy IMO to produce decent quality masterings and pressings reasonably priced and accessible in order to keep this music in decent SQ widely available and within reach of most people who may not otherwise hear it and the message Marvin Gaye was expressing.

“Audiophile treatment whatever that is” as you well know Bob tends to be records produced with the best possible SQ from the best possible source so “Audiophiles” can use them to listen to their HiFi systems not neccesarily the music.

In my view once one has convinced themselves through hype and expectation bias of the “wow” factor of these sort of records they tend to end up sitting on a shelf unplayed and serve the purpose of audiophile academia and bragging rights on HiFi forums.

Just my view, yours may differ

151001_alan_parsons

3 Likes

Waiting for Nashville Skyline to be released now. On Pre-order for early November

3 Likes

Blonde on Blonde and Highway are Mono. Bring It All Back Home doesn’t say on label if it’s mono or stereo

The early albums are certainly better in mono but Blonde on blonde is longer in stereo and has sections missing in mono so I would in this instance go for stereo Imo

Blonde on Blonde going back. Second disc unplayable. Looks like someone must have dropped the vinyl on the floor before it was pressed