Vinyl Reissues - Sorting the Wheat From the Chaff (contd.)

Ironically, I have only bought one of the Tone Poet issues and side 2 was in a terrible state - possibly scraped coming out of the pressing machine or something. Anyhow I did get a replacement which does sound superb. I do think the BN 80 series are excellent, especially for AAA production. I am certainly expecting to get some more BN80 and Tone Poet issues.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Clive RTI quality control is usually very good. The BN80’s pressed at Optimal are a bit more variable.

Btw I probably should have mentioned that they are all mostly AAA but some of the later recordings eg Cassandra Wilson are sourced digitally as that is how they were recorded.

:grinning:

Richard, Thank You for always helping anyway you can, it’s appreciated! Dean.

1 Like

I recently bought the 50th Anniversary 2LP 45rpm reissue of The Band.

I was a little bit disappointed with the previous Music From Big Pink anniversary reissue, mainly because of the remix, but also because I felt my EMI Millennium LP sounded rather better too. However, in this case, great as the EMI100 reissue undoubtedly is, I think this anniversary reissue may have the edge. Either way, it’s a fabulous sounding pair of LPs of a wonderful record. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Richard, I’m glad you like it. I thought it sounded very good when I got it in January. I’m still mulling over what to do about Big Pink in the light of your experience.

Just bought the boxset. Played 3 of them, they’re all perfectly pressed and not a single pop heard.

I’ve compared Regatta, Outlandos and Synchronicity to my 2007 Japanese uijy-9004, uijy-9026 and uijy-9029, which I class as my best references. The boxset is a little sweeter and has the faintest amount of more detail, but the overall sound doesn’t compare. The Japanese pressings play much more lively, open and instruments better separated. The bass guitar is more forward, dominant, real, crisp, plugged-in…It’s a shame, but it seems you can’t have everything.

Still glad I bought the boxset though.

Interesting Count. I don’t know the Japanese issues you refer to. I do know that the first two beat my UK issues - not hard really as Regatta in particular looks like one of the worst pressings I’ve ever seen. I also have the Vivante reissue of Outlandos though, and that’s great but haven’t done a close comparison.

I have the Nautilus (Nautili?) issues of Zenyatta and Ghost in the Machine, but haven’t compared either to the new ones. I do think though that the standard Sterling GiTM and Synchronicity are about as good as it gets, the former in particular being a favourite.

1 Like

From memory (it was 13 years ago), there was quite a bit of stir on the net about the Japanese pressings and they weren’t that easy to get hold or available long. They do sound great.

I don’t know what master tapes were used for the Japanese or these new Abbey ones, but going from the sound, I’d guess the Abbey were from master tapes and the Japanese from DSD. However, the Japanese ones have been mastered superbly. Just a guess though.

I’ve just now Googled the Japanese numbers and a long thread on Hoffman forum comes up from 2007. Interestingly someone mentioned “they are a tiny bit on the bright side, but the detail and the natural bass and drum sound is fantastic”. So I’m not alone :grinning: They definitely have a live band sound to them.

I’ve been listening through these Genesis reissue LPs again, one record each evening. I’m going in chronological order and just finished spinning Selling England By The Pound. What can I say, maybe even better than I thought originally. And A also very probably much the best of all the Abbey Road Half speed remasters I’ve listened to so far. Immaculate pressings too.

2 Likes

Hi Richard Can I ask what is and A

Phone and large hands… but you’re paying attention, which is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Richard
I have a few of the abbey road masters up to Duke and find all of them very good indeed. Never did understand the complaints about them at the time. On another point did you get the David Gray - White Ladder sorted, I have the new master of this one on white vinyl and find it superb.

I received a replacement which was just as poor, so ended up getting refunded.

1 Like

Anthony Phillips’ The Geese & The Ghost vinyl reissue from Esoteric Recordings (Cherry Red Records).

I hadn’t heard this one before, somehow passing me by, but after a few evenings listening to early Genesis albums, I thought it was high time to give this one a listen. I’m very pleased I did too - it’s lovely, and rather a nice segue to go from Trespass to this album. The pressing itself is immaculate and the sound quality very good indeed. Oh, and you get a nice signed postcard as well.

7 Likes

Never heard this before, rather lovely.

1 Like

I’ve just bought four Genesis vinyl reissues - Selling England By The Pound, Trick of the Tail, And Then There Were Three and Wind and Wuthering. Richard Dane writes extensively about these reissues earlier in this thread and I have nothing to add, except to say that, if you like Genesis, then these reissues are well worth getting.

1 Like

Following these recommendations I too have been buying these and echo how good they sound, I have very much enjoyed anew albums I have known so well for years. So far have got Trespass (the most transformed), Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and The Lamb. Coming soon are Selling England, Trick of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering and Duke. Will be very interested to see how the process has improved the Collins era albums and how they compare to my original vinyls from when they came out.

1 Like

Wondering whether to get Trick of The Tail…it’s got some of my favourite Genesis tracks on it. I’ve got the original UK release from 1976, however, I do find it very bright on my system (particularly side 1) so much so that I often go for CD rather than vinyl. Has anybody else found the re-issue bright at all?

1 Like

I thought the reissue was excellent, even compared to my MFSL issue. Not bright at all and with a lovely low end.

1 Like

I can’t say I found the reissue bright. It’s certainly an improvement on my original copy.