Vinyl releases on pre order

This is – in my opinion – one of the very best Riverside Monk sessions and a jazz collection must have. This Craft OJC reissue is the mono version, which is the definitive mix to have. The stereo mix has issues with microphone placement and resulting sound quality issues.

2 Likes

Alicia Olatuja & Michael Olatuja - Olatuja, Whirlwind Recordings (2024)

The Travellers - Black Black Minds, Greensleeves (2024)

Reissue of the now rare 1977 release produced by Prince Jammy and backed by the Roots Radics.

3 Likes

Lightnin’ Hopkins - Live From The Ash Grove, Plus. - Wiener Records (2024)

The music is fantastic but not sure about Wiener Records might just have to give it a try anyway.

The legendary blues guitarist performed at Los Angeles’ famed Ash Grove venue on many occasions over the club’s decade-and-a-half existence. Ten of the songs on this set are compiled from two separate performances at the club, and none of the performances on the album have previously been available commercially.

Tracks 1-14 consists of acoustic tracks with song introductions from a set recorded on November 29, 1970. Tracks 15-16 are acoustic performances from September 22, 1965. The disc is rounded out with four electric tracks with his band from Palo Alto’s In Your Ear club recorded on August 18, 1971. While most of the tunes are originals, the set lists include some distinctive cover versions of the R&B classics “What I’d Say” and “Hi-Heel Sneakers,” along with some folk/gospel nuggets, “Don’t The Moon Look Pretty” and “How Long Has It Been.”

2 Likes

Stan Getz - Sweet Rain, Verve/Acoustic Sounds (2024)

4 Likes

Paul Weller - 66 Remixes, Polydor (2024)

As is usual PW releases a 12" of remixes from his LP releases tbh the last couple have been a bit hit and miss 2020’s Sunset Remixes from the On Sunset LP with remixes by James Skelly and
Seckou Keita was pretty good but the Cosmic Fringes remix from Fat Pop Vol 1 by the Pet Shop Boys wasn’t memorable at all but the two clips I’ve heard of these two 66 remixes the first of Flying Fish by Alexis Taylor – front man of Hot Chip and DJ and producer Pilooski and the other of Nothing by Richie Stevens of virtual band Spacemonkeyz are both really good.

Chet Baker’s 90th Birthday is being celebrated by Decca Records, France who are reissuing the three releases Chet did for French label Barclay. I’m not sure if they are being remastered or just repressed.

I have the Sam Records reissues of all three that where released a few years back which are excellent so unless the reviews of the new reissues surpass those I’ll be sticking with mine. If however you don’t own them the £25 being asked isn’t to extortionate.

2 Likes

Gene Harris & The 3 Sounds - Live at the ‘IT CLUB’ , BN/Classic Series (2024)

2 Likes

I would stick with the SAM Records releases because those are AAA, and I think they are still available or coming up for repress. If I’m not mistaken Decca tends to do in-house reissues with half-speed masters from digital source.

1 Like

So stoked for this next in Light In The Attic Nancy Sinatra Archive release…

3 Likes

Music on Vinyl are reissuing the Bootleg series of Miles Davis Box Sets

2 Likes

Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping, Cadet (2024)

This Deluxe version features 8 bonus ‘session’ tracks on a second, an 8 page colour booklet and was remastered at Abbey Rd from the original tapes by Alex Wharton.

3 Likes

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring, BN/Tone Poet (2024)

I like this record so much that I bought a horrible Ermitage copy a few years ago that I played once and then returned to the Tidal stream so I’m really looking forward to this.

3 Likes

Good for us consumers these re releases but not so good for the artists for obvious reasons

Hopefully some of the proceeds are going to family surviving members or charities and not just into the coffers of music companies

All the Music on Vinyl releases I’ve encountered are officially licensed and reproduce the original covers, labels etc and this bootleg series was done with Columbia so I’m sure they will be paying the Miles Davis estate whatever it is due.

1 Like

The Modest Jazz Trio - Good Friday Blues, PJ/TP (2024)

5 Likes

Acoustic Sounds reissue.

2 Likes

The Gerry Mulligan Quartet - Spring in Stockholm, New Land (2024)

2 Likes

Nina Simone - Nina in Concert, Phillips/Acoustic Sounds (2024)

5 Likes

Chris Bangs - Dream World, Acid Jazz (2024)

If the first single release a cover of George Duke’s ‘My Soul’ is anything to go by I’ll like it quite a bit more than anything on last years Firebird and the previous years collaboration with Mick Talbot Back to Business both of which had very good moments but My Soul is much better imo.

1 Like