Vinyl releases on pre order

Worth it just for Pirate Jenny.

1 Like

Opeth - The Last Will and Testament (limited edition vinyl box-set, out Oct 11th)

Honestly, I haven’t enjoyed an album by these Swedes since Deliverance 20 years ago but as It’s been a few years since I picked up an Opeth album I’ve decided to be a sucker and pre-order the almost sold-out everywhere box-set of their upcoming album. The first single doesn’t really fill me with much confidence despite the return of Akerfeld’s growls (which, like the guitars, are a shadow of their former selves) but I’m a sucker for limited edition records so here we are. Don’t get me started on how obsceneley expensive the shipping is on this. Ugh.

1 Like

Jutta Hipp - At the Hickory House Vol 1, BN/Classic Series (2024)

4 Likes

This is a definite buy for me.

1 Like

Donald Byrd - Kofi, BN/Tone Poet (2024)

This is one I’m really looking forward to.

1 Like

Booker Little 4, Blue Note/ Tone poet (2024)

2 Likes

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Chain of Light, Real World (2024)

Chain of Light is an album of previously unheard recordings of the singer and his qawwal party made at Real World Studios in 1990, whilst he was at the height of his vocal capabilities. Carefully restored from the original analogue tapes, this ‘lost album’ of traditional qawwals includes a pristine recording of the much-loved classic ‘Ya Allah Ya Rehman’, as well the only known performance of ‘Ya Gaus Ya Meeran’.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I am very excited about this ECM re-release.
It’s one of the albums to which I always gravitate … love the tunes, harmonies and interplay.
Definitely a modern jazz masterpiece (for me)
About to order my copy, not sure when it will be available in Aus…

5 Likes

I wasn’t going to get this because I have a U.S. pressed OG that mostly sounds OK, and it’s not a favorite album. But a domestic retailer sold it for $32 shipped so I ordered it anyway.

I have heard all of these ECM reissues and all of them actually sound better than the originals.

Most of them I think are tedious but the ones I’ve kept are very good – Kenny Wheeler’s Gnu High, Nana Vasconcelos’ Sauadade and Jan Garbarek’s Afric Pepperbird are all highly recommended. The Metheny also sounds fantastic but I gave my copy away because like most Metheny, I just find it dull.

2 Likes

David Sylvian “Everything & Nothing” first time on vinyl from 2000, contain his more commercial period with Virgin records.

3 Likes

Svaneborg Kardyb new album “Superkilen“ from Bandcamp

3 Likes

@Bevo - all of these Miles “Bootleg Series” collections are fully authorised by Sony/Columbia/Legacy and are official releases, with all the appropriate royalties paid to the composers and musicians or their estates.

@Bobthebuilder re title of this thread, have you really got hundreds of these on pre order?

No of course not it would be the ‘Vinyl releases I have on pre order’ thread then.

The purpose of the thread as I understood it and the reason for my posting is to inform other members which records are available to pre order so that they can then order them.

6 Likes

And very useful it is.

:+1:

I don’t tend to buy vinyl where I already have a cd version, but I thought that I might try this one, which has been remastered by Mr Browne. Due in September.

3 Likes

Miles Davis - '54 The Prestige Recordings, Craft (2024)

Released to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of these sessions and the 75th Anniversary of Prestige Records, “Miles ’54” brings together 20 tracks recorded by the trumpet legend in 1954, across 4LPs. Including cuts from the albums “Miles Davis with Sonny Rollins,” “Miles Davis Quintet,” “Miles Davis All Star Sextet,” and “Miles Davis Quartet” the album features Sonny Rollins, Charles Mingus, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk and more. Included are new liner notes by GRAMMY® Award-winning music historian Ashley Kahn and session notes by Dan Morgenstern, with mastering by Paul Blakemore.

1 Like

Beats me why they didn’t just reissue the 12LP ‘Chronicle’ set from the 1980s, with all of the Davis Prestige material.

70th Anniversary I guess…

I agree. I have that set and it would be perfect if they did a nice AAA remaster of it.

I’ll likely pass on this set.