Vinyl releases on pre order

That’s what I was thinking - 180g/AAA of ‘Chronicle’ with new notes and mastering.

Can’t complain with my copy of ‘Chronicle’. No box and booklet but LPs new at £1 each at Mole Jazz, London’s New Year sale over 40 years ago. It will see me out !

What’s strange about my copy is it was supposed to be numbered, but it’s blank where it says No. ___

I have the box (not really a box but a slipcase of sleeves) and all the discs but they are a bit long in the tooth from age and play, so they don’t sound as good as they could. A Kevin Gray remaster of the set would be sweet.

Craft released The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions box set a few years ago and so maybe didn’t want to double down on that material so soon and also a AAA 12LP boxset would be incredibly expensive and would price out many consumers including me who already own the LPQS box set. What would a set like that cost £300 - £400?

Given that people are spending $150 for Analogue Productions UHQRs of single albums at 45 RPM (or $125 for 33 RPM albums) I don’t think spending $300 or so for a Craft AAA reissue of a 12-LP set of Miles on Prestige is that big a stretch. As another example, DG Classics just reissued all nine Bruckner Symphonies in The Original Source series as a 17-LP set for €300 (and it’s $500 in the U.S.).

1 Like

You are correct but the difference of spending $150 and $500 be it for 1 or 12 discs is huge. Personally £120 is something I can justify for something very special or as birthday/Christmas present but £300 or even £200 isn’t an outlay I can justify.

I might be very wrong but I would think I’m not alone in that

Well, I just spent $300 shipped for the Bruckner set of 17-LPs but I’ll be damned if I’m going to spend $175 shipped for a UHQR 45 RPM for just one single album. For that $300 shipped I got all nine Bruckner symphonies by HvK/Berliner. That’s a far better deal than $175 shipped for yet another reissue of Waltz For Debby, IMO. even if I had to spend $500 I still felt it was a better deal.

$300-500 is a better deal for a complete set like that – if you love the music – than $175 is for a boutique release that already has a great reissue for $40.

It’s a matter of perspective in the end, and I’m not alone in my thinking either.

1 Like

Some good s/h options available on the Miles Prestige vinyl. Those 70s twofers in the ‘24000’ series are great - I have many of them and often they have RVG in the runouts. Sadly, the days when they could be picked up for £5 are gone but they seem to be around for £15-20.

My personal favourites for this material are Esquire original UK pressings, which were cut from RVG’s original metalwork (incredibly) and on better vinyl than Prestige. Unfortunately, rare and expensive these days, if you can find them in good nick.

I read this when you posted it and am still recovering…. Bright Size Life, dull…

For the rest I agree, not into the selection of ECM reissues myself. Bought Gnu High, but don’t listen to it much.

Due 30/8 I think.

5 Likes

Sun Ra - Lanquidity, SRUT (2024)

My favourite Sun Ra record and I don’t have a copy so hopefully it lives up to STRUT’s hype released as part of the label’s 25th anniversary birthday. They are replicating the original foiled cover with a tip on jacket and it is being remastered by Technology Works Mastering I can’t find any info on wether or not it is AAA but as a whole it looks promising.

7 Likes

Eddie Gale’s Ghetto Music - Blue Note/Elemental (2024)

Another interesting release from Sun Ra Arkestra member Eddie Gale, I wonder why Blue Note have licensed this to Elemental and not released themselves at least as a part of the Classic Series?
Below is from Elemental’s website.

A member of the Sun Ra Arkestra before and after taping these sides, Gale also played on Cecil Taylor’s Blue Note debut, Unit Structures. “The aesthetic and cultural merits of Ghetto Music cannot be overstated,” stated AllMusic critic Thom Jurek. “That it is one of the most obscure recordings in Blue Note’s catalog – paid for out of label co-founder Francis Wolff’s own pocket – should tell us something

Artie Zaitz - The Regulator, Banger Factory Records (2024)

A first solo from the very talented Jazz Guitarist Artie Zaitz.

Masahiko Satoh & Takeo Moriyama Ft Leon Brichard & Idris Rahman - Live at Cafe Oto, Bbe (2024)

If the first track from this Live recording ‘Other Worlds’ is anything to go by this release is a must for me at least.

From Bbe promo,

BBE Music presents a meeting of musical spirits in a unique live recording captured just a few months before the world changed due to a global pandemic. Recorded in September 2019, Live at Caf? Oto sees two giant heavyweights of the post-war Japanese jazz scene come together with a pair of exemplary musicians from the heart of the new UK jazz movement. Generations and continents apart but united as one for a very special concert. Together, performing at London’s leading space of innovative and exploratory music - Caf? Oto in East London - pianist and composer Masahiko Satoh and drummer Takeo Moriyama fuse their musical forces with saxophonist Idris Rahman and bassist Leon Brichard, at the time both members of Ill Considered, one of the UK’s most notable experimental jazz groups

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (Expanded Edition)

Out October 4

Edit: Its a 30th anniversary edition. Jebus!

8 Likes

Culture - Good Things, Diggers Factory (2024)

Below is from promo,

Recorded with 3 brass instruments, bass, drums, keyboards and percussion, it’s in the pure roots tradition, with a few interesting dub twists. There’s also a tribute to Bob Marley entitled ‘Psalm of Bob Marley’ and the excellent ‘Cousin Rude Boy’. This is a pure roots album remastered to the highest standards, with a 350g cardboard sleeve showing off the full extent of Mitch Goldberg’s graphic design. Never reissued on vinyl since its release, and only once on CD in the 90s.

1 Like

This one is going back, unplayable with that warp. DSOTM Live.

1 Like

Ah the joys of vinyl :grin:

1 Like

I stopped worrying about that years ago. :slight_smile:

But FWIW: I find that dish warped records mostly flatten out over time sitting on a record shelf with other records helping to compress it.

1 Like

agree, that is not good
Martin

1 Like

Blue Note have previously ‘farmed out’ reissues of this album. I have the ‘4 Men With Beards’ reissue that came out as a 180g reissue in the 2000s. They reissued both of the Gale Blue Notes.