Vinyl releases on pre order

There are five Grundman Candid remasters in total as well as Straight Ahead

All available on Pre Order from Amazon

Max Roach’s Freedom Suite featuring his then wife Abbey Lincoln

Charles Mingus presents Charles Mingus,

Lightnin’ Hopkins - Lightnin’ in New York

Otis Spann is The Blues

Here is an article from Analogue Planet discussing those Mono tapes and below that photographs of the tapes and tape notes discussing the tape damage from Electric Recording Company’s website.

Wether these are the lost in the fire tapes isn’t exactly clear but it does say that these tapes where believed lost but turned up in a plain un labelled box.

The tape notes detail audible damage for the first 30 seconds on Side 1 and the first 58 seconds on Side 2 I would think ERC would have removed anything audible from their £350 release although I think I’m right in saying that ERC do not remaster their releases.

tape2-1-w640

Electric Recording Company are also releasing a ‘True’ mono version of Giant Steps the well heeled can register interest on the ERC website.

1311labelside1-w640
img0584-w640
img0585-w640
img0587-w640

Cant see any information as to where the records are being pressed?

1 Like

Just came across this, could be good, could be truly awful!

The blurb…

Released by Island Records on 27 th May, Bob Marley With The Chineke! Orchestra reimagines some of Bob Marley’s greatest songs with contemporary classical orchestration from the globally esteemed Chineke! Orchestra. Recorded at Abbey Road Studios and produced by Nick Patrick (If I Can Dream, Elvis Presley and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, True Love Ways, Buddy Holly and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra), reimagined tracks include Satisfy My Soul, Exodus, Is This Love, Redemption Song, Get Up, Stand Up, and One Love/People Get Ready, scheduled for release as a lead track on 25 th March.

The genesis of the idea for Bob Marley & The Chineke! Orchestra came via the acclaimed cellist and 2016 BBC Young Musician of the Year Sheku Kenneh-Mason OBE. Although now a full-time solo artist and no longer an active Chineke! member, it was Kenneh-Mason’s pioneering and original arrangements of Marley’s No Woman, No Cry and Redemption Song that initially captured the attention and appreciation of Tuff Gong and the Bob Marley estate. So the Chineke! musical journey, via Abbey Road Studios, had begun.

Chineke! founder Chi-chi Nwanoku OBE explains, “As a purely trained classical musician, the idea of being involved in a musical collaboration with the legendary Bob Marley was truly mind-blowing. I ardently believe that all genres of music should be open to absolutely everyone, so it was wonderful for Chineke! to be able to bring new orchestrations to these iconic tracks.”

Just asked Laura their PR lady and she thinks they’re being done at RTI.

1 Like

Ah, thats promising thanks. I saw a pre order on Juno stating it was coloured vinyl, hope not.
Couldnt see the other titles, any idea who will be stocking in UK thats not Amazon?
I"ve emailed Paul at Diverse
Cheers

Somewhere I saw that the Abbey Lincoln was being pressed in the Czech Republic, so I would guess GZ… (I do hope not!).

The new Candids are all on black vinyl. Anything that’s on coloured vinyl will be from someone else. There are lots of reissues of these titles floating about from all kinds of people.

Im guessing it might be an error on Juno, it shows the same release date as the BG mastered Candids. I’ll email Nicola she might throw some light.

I see from Juno that Candid have already re issued some of these on vinyl but as Kevster suggests they are different issues to the BG’s.

In the past GZ have had a bit of a bad rap but I have bought many records pressed there that have been fine.
As I’ve pointed out before on the forum there is an interesting video tour of GZ on Mikey Fremers Analogue Planet You Tube Channel.

Pure Pleasure have also previously issued the Abbey Lincoln, Mingus and I think the Lightnin’ Hopkins

Yes, I’m perhaps being unfair on GZ as admittedly I’ve had good pressings from them before and what with the non-fill issues with Optimal these days, maybe GZ would be preferable…

I wouldnt disagree

Hi, I guess original will be moot as I don’t recall mine is a first run or

press as such, at that age I wouldn’t have been bothered, but the new press is good, using Bogus Man at wife displeasing volumes the bass is definitely clearer and overall there’s more space, oddly when Ferry’s vocals come in they seem more “processed” on the new LP, perhaps they’re meant to? One disappointment is the packaging, I can’t believe how dim and faded the new LP looks compared to my nearly 50 year old version , the original is the one with the £4.35 sticker :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Great that the new press sounds good. I see what you mean about the cover. That’s a real pity.
I have a decent original copy of For Your Pleasure so I am ok but my original copy of Stranded is pretty crackly so I might consider the new pressing of that.

1 Like

Which Roxy Music albums are being re issued?

@Richard.Dane
Just noticed that the lovely Jazzman Don Rendell/Ian Carr Landsdownes that you were championing a few years back and turned me and others on to, were I think pressed at GZ
:heart:

They did a good job. Such a wonderful box set…

I believe they are releasing all of them eventually as half speed masters most probably from digital files.
Certainly the first album & For Your Pleasure are out now and Stranded & Country Life are available to pre order.

And The Kinks Mono Box…