Vinyl releases on pre order

Frédéric D’Oria-Nicolas, CEO of [The Lost Recordings writes: “In May 2022, while we were working in the archives of the Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (RBB), we came across the original tapes of this mythical recording made in 1955. It was certainly one of the most significant testimonies of the lyric art of the twentieth century: Lucia di Lammermoor, recorded during the performance of 29 September 1955 at the Städtische Oper Berlin, with a cast that included Di Stefano, Panerai, Karajan and Callas.”

1 Like

What a wonderful thing.
I would very much like a copy of that😍

1 Like

2 Likes

Paul Bley - Paul Plays Carla, SteepleChase (2023)

First time vinyl release of this 1992 SteepleChase CD if the do a good job of this it could be one of the best Jazz reissues of the year. Definetley one to keep an eye on.

1 Like

This Paul Bley album is really quite good. I wasn’t aware of it, and just streamed in Qobuz while working in my office.

I don’t know that I’ll buy the vinyl though. I assume it was recorded digitally in the first place.

Discogs states that the original was recorded at Steeple Chase’s digital studio which is why I’m a bit hesitant myself but Paul Bley and Chet Baker’s LP Diane on Steeplechase was also a digital recording albeit released first on vinyl and that sounds excellent.

Like you I’m enjoying the stream though through Tidal and may well stick with that but I’ll keep an eye out for any reviews post release.

At the moment I have over $500 worth of vinyl on preorder coming over the next eight weeks, so I think I’ll pass on this for now. The stream sounded great on my office system (Atom, Dynaudio Audience 52Se, REL R-328), so I’m sure it will be even better on my main system.

I’m a Dynaudio fan too and have A52’s connected to a UQ2 in another system just curious does the sub help with the low end? I’ve thought about adding a small one to flesh things out a little.

Oh, hell yeah. I have my Audience 52SE wall-mounted in a sort of near field arrangement, with the sub using the high-level connection to the Atom speaker terminals.

I always wanted a sub for that system, and only added it in January. I had two of them in my main system, but upgraded to bigger/better subs for that (REL S/510). Of the old ones I sold one and kept the other for the Atom/A52SE system. It’s a game changer for how much better it sounds now, especially with something like the Paul Bley Trio.

Preorder placed.
It was simply too tempting. Thank you for posting, but be warned, you are not on the nice list with Mrs QS now🤣

2 Likes

I love the Maria Callas “ Ave Maria “ performing.
You should sing it to her, she will surely forgive you the 250 euros spent on the box set .

1 Like

My singing days are so far behind me I’d need the Star Ship Enterprise to go back and find them🤣

2 Likes

Crikey, I can’t quite work out what it is. Lucia?

Probably my biggest digital download bargain ever:

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 17.40.05

1 Like

1 Like

Things are getting expensive this year…

6 Likes

I have these on preorder rom Amazon (U.S.). Hopefully the prices drop before they ship.

Mastered by Kevin Gray, pressed at RTI, tip-on jackets. This is similar to Tone Poet quality and presentation.

1 Like

No … 240,90 € that’s what the invoice shows… :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Jazz Side of The Moon The Music of Pink Floyd, Evosound (2023)

Not heard it and probably won’t buy it but a heads up for all you Floyd fans.

Shakti - This Moment, Abstract Logix (2023)

Shakti’s new record sounds like it might be a good 'un if the samplers are anything to go buy but I can only find it on Bandcamp from the U.S at the moment which will set you back £80 so I’ll be passing on that at the moment.

The double LP without shipping from the US is £40 so pretty pricey unless it comes down a bit I’ll wait for a used copy to come along until then I’ll stream.

I’ve ordered the two Bill Evans and the Yusef Lateef also from Amazon US just to cover myself the first two sold out quite quickly over here and they only work out about £4 more from Amazon US.